• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

A thought that has never occurred to me...until now - Frozen bacon fat

Like you I just keep a jar in the fridge. Never seen it go bad but maybe some in the freezer is the way to go.

Like you I just keep a jar in the fridge. Never seen it go bad but maybe some in the freezer is the way to go.

I'm going to try this, it says it will keep for up to a year and bacon fat is good in everything so, why not?

I'm going to try this, it says it will keep for up to a year and bacon fat is good in everything so, why not?

Added some in with my last fried chicken oil, great flavor addition. Also, put some in with your refried beans. Adds a ton of flavor!

Added some in with my last fried chicken oil, great flavor addition. Also, put some in with your refried beans. Adds a ton of flavor!

I will have to try that with the refried beans, I love those things. I'll be using it in greens for sure. I need to figure out a way to incorporate it into my smoked jalapeno cornbread too.

I wonder if one can purchase bacon fat in mass quantities? I need to research that, I'm sure one can.

I will have to try that with the refried beans, I love those things. I'll be using it in greens for sure. I need to figure out a way to incorporate it into my smoked jalapeno cornbread too.

I wonder if one can purchase bacon fat in mass quantities? I need to research that, I'm sure one can.

Buy? BUY? BUY? You must be joking. Just cook enough bacon to keep your stock replenished......come on King....:banghead: :stickouttongue: :cheers:

Buy? BUY? BUY? You must be joking. Just cook enough bacon to keep your stock replenished......come on King....:banghead: :stickouttongue: :cheers:

Yeah, I know. I simply can't keep bacon around my house. I have no impulse control whatsoever when it comes to that porky goodness. Hence, my bacon fat deficit.

King™ here is another pork fat hack for you.

I keep a little piece of fat trimming on had from pork chops. I use it when I grill (charcoal). Cooking a steak I will just put that piece of pork fat on top of the steak to get it warmed up. When the steaks are about done I use the pork fat to flame up the coals in a controlled way to give the steak the desired char. I am pretty good at controlling the pork fat flame ups to add color and flavor to the steak. Lets me get a perfect medium rare through out the steak with a nice flavorful char on the outside...along with a little add hint of something that is pork fat goodness.

King™ here is another pork fat hack for you.

I keep a little piece of fat trimming on had from pork chops. I use it when I grill (charcoal). Cooking a steak I will just put that piece of pork fat on top of the steak to get it warmed up. When the steaks are about done I use the pork fat to flame up the coals in a controlled way to give the steak the desired char. I am pretty good at controlling the pork fat flame ups to add color and flavor to the steak. Lets me get a perfect medium rare through out the steak with a nice flavorful char on the outside...along with a little add hint of something that is pork fat goodness.

That's an excellent idea. The fat cap from a butt would be perfect for that. Thanks!

Great idea! Best way I know of to make sure most everything I cook tastes better, AND at the same time be as healthy for me as Bacon. :Biggrin:

The key to doing this is to filter the fat through a coffee filter into a cup. Keeps all those bits and other nasty things out that could probably cause sickness. By doing this you dont have to freeze, I just put it in the fridge like I do with butter

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back