• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Smoked a chuck roast

NU_Alum

Husker Fan
5 Year Member
I had never done a chuck roast before and thought, why not!

I put a pretty typical rub on the day before (salt, pepper, garlic cloves, little cayenne, onion powder). Smoked it at 250 until it was at 170 degrees. Wrapped it in foil and added some of the liquid from the pan (beer and beef broth with chunks of onion so the meat didn't sit in the liquid). Made Au Jus from the remaining liquid. Used hickory wood.

I think I'll take it up to 180'ish next time before wrapping it as it wasn't quite as tender as I'd hoped but it was really good. I will marinate it next time overnight as well probably in a beer mixture of some sort.

It wasn't brisket good but I think if I lower the temp to 225 and cook until 180-185 and then wrap for an hour or two so it comes up to 195'ish, it will be very close to brisket for a much cheaper cut of meat.

Try injecting the roast next time. You can pickup a cheap injector for $10 or less at the grocery store. Broth and spices or you can buy a pre mixed solution when you get the injector.

Try injecting the roast next time. You can pickup a cheap injector for $10 or less at the grocery store. Broth and spices or you can buy a pre mixed solution when you get the injector.

I injected the same stuff I used in the liquid but didn't inject it until just before throwing it in the smoker. Should have done it earlier and will next time. It wasn't really dry as I did it but I would like a little more juiciness.

[h=2]Smoked a chuck roast[/h]You must have one huge pipe, and a set of lungs like crazy..... How did you get it to light, a torch?

I would take that cut to a full 200F -205F. You won't hurt it like a pork shoulder.

I think you are absolutely correct though regarding the quality. If you do it right, it should be about 80-85% as good as a properly smoked brisket, etc because of the specific marbling content/texture (IMO of course). Also, you shouldn't have to bring that cut up as low as normal. I'd probably consider 225F to be on the low side for a chuck. I might keep it there for the first 2 hours just to accept more smoke, but alot of guys would smoke it between 275 - 300, including myself (I would go at 275F). Some cuts of Chuck and Brisket won't tenderize quickly enough at 225 and you'll have the damn things in the smoker for 16 hours, and that isn't a good idea either. Cooking those specific cuts at 275 always gets you through the stall well and I've never noticed a difference in the end product.

Last edited:
I would take that cut to a full 200F -205F. You won't hurt it like a pork shoulder.

I think you are absolutely correct though regarding the quality. If you do it right, it should be about 80-85% as good as a properly smoked brisket, etc because of the specific marbling content/texture (IMO of course). Also, you shouldn't have to bring that cut up as low as normal. I'd probably consider 225F to be on the low side for a chuck. I might keep it there for the first 2 hours just to accept more smoke, but alot of guys would smoke it between 275 - 300, including myself (I would go at 275F). Some cuts of Chuck and Brisket won't tenderize quickly enough at 225 and you'll have the damn things in the smoker for 16 hours, and that isn't a good idea either. Cooking those specific cuts at 275 always gets you through the stall well and I've never noticed a difference in the end product.

Excellent, thanks. I will give it a try next time.

Going to give this another go this weekend. Going to inject tonight with a beer, beef broth and I think worsh. mix. Rub the outside and let sit for a day or two. I'll go with jika's rec to cook at 275 and get the final temp to 200 or 205.

Have so many of these in my freezer and the weekend looks to be nice here!

Going to give this another go this weekend. Going to inject tonight with a beer, beef broth and I think worsh. mix. Rub the outside and let sit for a day or two. I'll go with jika's rec to cook at 275 and get the final temp to 200 or 205.

Have so many of these in my freezer and the weekend looks to be nice here!

That sounds so good. I'd go with a quality stout for the beer. Something about beef and stout that is just perfect to me.

I don't think I'll be doing any BBQ this weekend. Instead, we're going to the Blues, Brews and BBQ festival down on the waterfront. Should be a good time.

Last edited:

That sounds so good. I'd go with a quality stout for the beer. Something about beef and stout that is just perfect to me.

I don't think I'll be doing any BBQ this weekend. Instead, we're going to the Blues, Brews and BBQ festival down on the waterfront. Should be a good time.

Enjoy that. If I remember (cue am sober enough) to take pics I will.

Enjoy that. If I remember (cue am sober enough) to take pics I will.

Got flooded/rained out. I'm having a tough time remembering a summer with more (and heavier/severe) rain than we've had this year. Stupid hot and muggy too.

Got flooded/rained out. I'm having a tough time remembering a summer with more (and heavier/severe) rain than we've had this year. Stupid hot and muggy too.

Smoked two probably 5 lb'ers. Injected and rubbed Friday, cooked yesterday. Smoked for about 8 hours at 275 then wrapped and cooked in the oven for the last hour. Didn't get to 205 internal and we were done waiting (family in town and lots of kids).

It was still really good. The extra day with marinade and rub seemed to really help. This will be a go to, only I'll start even earlier so I get it to 205 next time.

No pics too make dark and stormy's.

Smoked two probably 5 lb'ers. Injected and rubbed Friday, cooked yesterday. Smoked for about 8 hours at 275 then wrapped and cooked in the oven for the last hour. Didn't get to 205 internal and we were done waiting (family in town and lots of kids).

It was still really good. The extra day with marinade and rub seemed to really help. This will be a go to, only I'll start even earlier so I get it to 205 next time.

No pics too make dark and stormy's.

Man, that sounds so good right now. Glad it turned out well for you. I agree with the wrapping, helps to retain a lot of otherwise lost juices. I always pull my butts at about 165, wrap them and finish them in the oven. Moist, tender and juicy.

I'm thinking about grilling an herb crusted pork tenderloin on the Weber this weekend. I'm starting to think that that thing is the best purchase I've made in years.

Man, that sounds so good right now. Glad it turned out well for you. I agree with the wrapping, helps to retain a lot of otherwise lost juices. I always pull my butts at about 165, wrap them and finish them in the oven. Moist, tender and juicy.

I'm thinking about grilling an herb crusted pork tenderloin on the Weber this weekend. I'm starting to think that that thing is the best purchase I've made in years.

I love pork tenderloins, so tasty. You're going to burn a hole in that thing before the year is out!

I love pork tenderloins, so tasty. You're going to burn a hole in that thing before the year is out!

I get to see my youngest kid this weekend (she married a dirty Sailor and I don't see much of her) so I want to make something more than burgers or dogs. Plus, pork tenderloin is just so damned tasty. ;)

The last Weber I had lasted me for almost 20 years. Had to replace the grates a few times but the kettle was a beast. I baby this one though, I keep it on the covered deck and always keep the cover on it when not in use. I do have to endure hearing about the smoke damaging the deck ceiling but it never touches it so I just yell SQUIRREL every time she starts in on it. Then I run.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back