• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked thoughts on the staff and recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bubba goes as high in the b aseball draft as they say he might not have much say on whether he plays division 1 football or not. I highly doubt any MLB team is going to shell out first round bonus money and big fat contract and then allow Bubba to play football. What I could see happening though is if it doesn't work out he could come back as a 27 year old QB like that Weiden guy at Okie St.

1) Why two QBs?
After this year we will have 5 on the roster plus 2 from this class. That's 7 QBs. I don't see Jamal Turner switching positions. I'm guessing the main reason he committed was because the staff told him we'd give him a shot at QB. Now I've heard of being deep but c'mon....
2) It seems like this staff can't land a highly rated receiver. Taariq Allen looks ok, but judging by the quality of the company we're in (Uconn, Tulane, Wisconsin) he's not elite. Taylor could use someone to stretch the field and unload the box so to speak, and just a downfield threat is crucial in just about any offense. We lose Paul and McNeil this year...Will Cody Green switch to TE? Is Jean Baptiste any good? those offers aren't too impressive
3) Good job on the O line recruiting...throwin in some positive here
4) Finally, it seems like Pelini has a much easier time recruiting defense as opposed to offense. BC was criticized for the opposite

I'm thrilled we have a top ten recruiting class. I just saw these few things and thought I'd point them out and see what everyone's thoughts are....I think receiver could be a real problem for the huskers in coming years. Our receivers don't look all that good right now, and I'm concerned helps not on the way...

MOST qb's move on , when the see there limited playing time, and open another recruiting spot for the next class. Its good to get 2 qb's every year at a minimum.

Two is very unusual certainly not the minimum....more the exception so I have to disagree with you....but as HIO stated you don't turn a way athletes of the caliber of Turner and Starling...a normal class usually includes one quarterback.....

I have to disagree too, that most quarterbacks move on if they don't get playing time....more the exception again....

MOST qb's move on , when the see there limited playing time, and open another recruiting spot for the next class. Its good to get 2 qb's every year at a minimum.

Last edited:

OK, let's attack and not back it up....

Well, even though this case would get thrown out before it even goes to court, I guess I will defend it anyway.

We have a top10 recruiting class so far per Rivals, best in years.

You can't count how many QBs we have on the roster, if you are counting Spano, Green, and Kellogg in that, it's basically irrelavant. Next year we have Martinez, with the possibility of Carnes, who can come in and not "game manage" our offense. Plus, as mentioned before, Starling may never even show up. Also, Green could transfer. Lot goes on behind closed doors.

I have no idea where you are getting that he can recruit defense and not offense. To my knowledge, the only place where this staff is having trouble getting a kid that we need is receiver. But in argument, Allen is the guy our staff wants, and as everyone on the board except for you has stated, this staff gets the talent they want as well as need.

I guess in conclusion, if you are the only one with a certain opinion, you are definetely entitled to it, but I would re-evaluate it before you say it in person to someone and look foolish.

On a related note...Anyone know what the plan is for the Nebraska kid that grayshirted last year (Marsh I believe)? Are we gonna try him @ QB or is Bo gonna claim him for the secondary?

We have a top10 recruiting class so far per Rivals, best in years.
Certainly wasn't disputing that. In fact I mentioned in my OP I was thrilled that we have a top ten class
You can't count how many QBs we have on the roster, if you are counting Spano, Green, and Kellogg in that, it's basically irrelavant. Next year we have Martinez, with the possibility of Carnes, who can come in and not "game manage" our offense. Plus, as mentioned before, Starling may never even show up. Also, Green could transfer. Lot goes on behind closed doors.
Even in this case 5-7+ seems excessive
I have no idea where you are getting that he can recruit defense and not offense. To my knowledge, the only place where this staff is having trouble getting a kid that we need is receiver. But in argument, Allen is the guy our staff wants, and as everyone on the board except for you has stated, this staff gets the talent they want as well as need.
Already admitted that I am probably off base on the defense/offense assessment. Yes, I'd like to see Nebraska go out and get a real down-field threat. It's just odd at this point that they haven't. Schools like Mississippi, Tennessee, Clemson have top receivers...I'd certainly like to think Nebraska could get one too. Allen being the guy the staff wants ...makes a little bit of sense...I doubt they'd turn away George Farmer though (sidenote: Scott Frost is recruiting him).
I guess in conclusion, if you are the only one with a certain opinion, you are definetely entitled to it, but I would re-evaluate it before you say it in person to someone and look foolish.
I don't even know what you mean by this. Not sure what this one opinion is. That we have too many Qbs and need a big time receiver? Doubt I'm the only one who thinks that. After reassessing my feelings I just wish we had a top receiver, but overall this class is pretty good. You end your post with a personal attack. You are classy and intelligent, my friend. You recommend I not talk because I might be seen as a fool. I recommend you use Firefox (spell check :) )

Last edited:
1) Why two QBs?...

Freeman, Gabbert I, Gabbert II.....in addition to Carl Crawford as BRD just mentioned.

Addendum: Pinkel is probably getting the Official Mizzou Recruiting Helicopter ready for a visit this week to Bubba Starling's next big game.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back