• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Bowl Game Thread: Orange Bowl: #7 Mississippi State vs #12 Georgia Tech

Ok, am I wrong in thinking that Palmer is incorrect in calling GT's offense a spread option? It looks like a triple option or just option. My understanding is that a spread option would have more receivers and TE's spread out across the LOS.

C

Ok, am I wrong in thinking that Palmer is incorrect in calling GT's offense a spread option? It looks like a triple option or just option. My understanding is that a spread option would have more receivers and TE's spread out across the LOS.

C

basically urban and malzahan's option, except it's from under center. If theirs are spread options then this is too.

It is known as a "flex bone" Option attack. Here is an interesting article on it:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1296563-seven-myths-about-paul-johnsons-georgia-tech-offense

Thanks for that. I also found this and sure enough Palmer has it wrong. I don't see them "spreading" out the defense with WR's and TE's. It kinda reminds me of the "veer" that Marshall used in 1971.

<dt style="font-weight: bold; margin-bottom: 0.1em; color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13.63636302948px; line-height: 20.3636360168457px;">Spread option offense</dt><dd style="line-height: 20.3636360168457px; margin-left: 1.6em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; margin-right: 0px; color: rgb(37, 37, 37); font-family: sans-serif; font-size: 13.63636302948px;">

Emerging during the late 1990s and 2000s, the spread option is typically run from any variant of the shotgun formation, as in the example above. The "spread" allows teams to use speed and athleticism to exploit gaps created by the wide distribution of players.​

The spread option offense is a variant of the more generic "spread offense". It has found unprecedented success and widespread employment in college and high school football. Essentially a hybrid of the traditionally pass-oriented spread offense, the spread option is based on the concept of defensive isolation. The offense "spreads" the defense by aligning in three-to-five receiver sets, using two or fewer running backs in the backfield and often setting the quarterback in shotgun. This spread forces the defense to defend more of the field and isolates its players in space. To exploit this, the offense employs double or triple option plays which further mitigates the athleticism of the defense and forces it to play their assignments. When used in combination with a consistent passing game, the spread option offense can yield strong results. The means by which option plays are run from the spread option offense vary greatly.[SUP][7][/SUP]</dd>

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back