• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked WR Taariq Allen is N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Taariq! Committments from the Northeast may become a more frequent thing with us heading to the Big 10. jmho :)

Rivers' Allen commits to Nebraska

Rivers School head coach Rich Fisher confirmed via text this morning that senior wide receiver/safety Taariq Allen has verbally committed to the University of Nebraska for the fall of 2011.

Allen, a 6-foot-3, 180-pounder from Roxbury, had initially committed to UConn as a safety last June, but de-committed last month to explore his options once more. He will play wide receiver for coach Bo Pelini, but it is believed he can play on either side of the ball for a program as upper-echelon as the Huskers'. He was also considering Wisconsin, Boston College and Tulane.

Rivers defeated Milton Academy last Saturday night, 69-40, to improve to 5-0 and clinch its first winning season in the ISL since 1982. Allen has played a tremendous role in the Red Wings' rapid turnaround. In five games this season he has 28 catches for 464 yards, 27 carries for 254 yards, and has scored 58 points.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/2087/rivers-allen-commits-to-nebraska

Just got off the phone with Richard Fisher, the high school coach of Nebraska's latest commitment, Taariq Allen.

The 6-foot-3, 180-pound wide receiver from The Rivers School (Weston, Mass.) had been committed to UConn, but was won over by the family atmosphere in the Husker program, Fisher said.

Nebraska had offered Allen back during Husker summer camps.

"Like most of these kids, the recruiting process can get a little taxing over time," Fisher said. "The offer for him personally was huge. You got a Top 5 college program like Nebraska who thinks that highly of you, and he basically came to that camp sight unseen. He was there for basically a day or two before they really fell in love with him on both sides of ball."

Fisher said Bo Pelini really liked what he saw out of Allen as a safety while Ted Gilmore liked Allen the wide receiver. The coach said he thinks Allen could play on either side of the ball in college, but guessed he'd start at receiver.

Fisher said Allen originally made the commitment to UConn to stay close to his family.

"For him, it was just an opportunity for all his family to watch him play," Fisher said. "He maybe jumped the gun a little bit, not really looking into the school or the conference or offensive system. He just looked at it as a chance for family to watch him play. But I think as time went on and he got to know Coach Gilmore and Coach Pelini, he felt a lot more comfortable family-wise with Nebraska. He knows Coach Pelini is a huge family guy."

Allen is still a raw player, "with his best days of football ahead of him," according to his high school coach. Fisher remembers the first time he saw Allen playing basketball a couple years ago.

"Very explosive kid," Fisher said. "In the gym, I could see him run up and down the court and dunk anyway he wanted to. All I needed to see was that size and speed. I knew I could do a lot with that."

Gilmore was Allen's lead recruiter. Allen is the 14th commitment in this 2011 Husker recruiting class, but NU could potentially pick up a huge 15th commit tomorrow.

Aaron Green, the much-acclaimed running back from San Antonio, is going to announce his school of choice tomorrow night around 7 at his church. The brother of Husker defensive back Andrew Green, Aaron is picking between Nebraska, Texas, Florida State and Cal.

We'll let you know as soon as the decision is made.

http://my.journalstar.com/post/Husk.../blog/receiver_commits_running_back_next.html

Last edited:
Excellent pickup! If we could get a couple of stellar (sure handed) wide receivers in this offense, watch out! Welcome Taariq!

Welcome to Nebraska Mr. Allen
We all hope you have a long and successful career with a N on your helmet

I know HIO said we would take him no matter what in the other thread regarding receivers, but how much of a shock is this that he committed now before his visit? I'm always glad to see a commit, especially one that the staff is so high on, but is this odd timing? Not in any way trying to get down on him whatsoever, just simply curious. Either way, glad to have him on board.

Here is proof he has some hops!!!!!!! He's the one dunking. There are a few of his highlight dunks on the web!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6NwFmRgu8pc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6NwFmRgu8pc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Ok. Thanks. Athletic guy.

I know HIO said we would take him no matter what in the other thread regarding receivers, but how much of a shock is this that he committed now before his visit? I'm always glad to see a commit, especially one that the staff is so high on, but is this odd timing? Not in any way trying to get down on him whatsoever, just simply curious. Either way, glad to have him on board.

He camped here this summer so he has probably seen most of the facilities(Im sure not all of the campus) and he has been leaning towards us ever since he de-committed from UConn. Im betting now the time felt right. Just my:2cents:.

maybe he just wanted to be N before the Aaron Green parade kicks off tomorrow

My opinion FWIW is he knew we only had a couple of slots for WR and was sure of his choice and pulled the string...nothing wrong with that....I agree with HIO that if Patrick Onwuasor wants "N" we will take him too....Davie or Allen could end up on the D side so its a no brainer if he wants in....

He camped here this summer so he has probably seen most of the facilities(Im sure not all of the campus) and he has been leaning towards us ever since he de-committed from UConn. Im betting now the time felt right. Just my:2cents:.

Oh I know that, but then my next question is during a camp how much do those players get a chance to be around the other players? I know everyone is different, but like for Aaron Green it seems having a strong bond with a few of the players (excluding the obvious Andrew) may be just the factor that gets us to the top. A lot of times a big factor in a prospect choosing a school is how he bonds with a few of the players already on the team or other commits to that school.

maybe he just wanted to be N before the Aaron Green parade kicks off tomorrow

I actually kinda wondered about that...

My opinion FWIW is he knew we only had a couple of slots for WR and was sure of his choice and pulled the string...nothing wrong with that....I agree with HIO that if Patrick Onwuasor wants "N" we will take him too....Davie or Allen could end up on the D side so its a no brainer if he wants in....

Right, so perhaps a big part of this has to do with TA wanting to make absolutely sure that we would have a spot for him before things fill up anymore....? I know we say we keep a spot for him and/or Onwuasor, but things could tighten up here in the next few weeks. Allen is 14, AG could be 15 and if we can get Jackson and Johnson from this next round of visits this weekend we're up to 17 and Onwuasor could make 18. I would assume we hold spots no matter what for guys like Peat, Hobbi, and Lyons. I know our predicted number is somewhere between 22-25 for this year, but if another 1 or 2 commit, I could see a few more following just to guarantee a spot. The number crunching could get fun... someone find FLAS!:cool:

Excellent!

Now pack on 30 lbs.

The nice thing is that the scout info is incorrect and he is up to 191. I do not have a link as it is a paysite, but thats alot better than 180 and he is only gonna get bigger and stronger when he gets to NU.

After the OSU game, I don't think its odd at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back