• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2014 Recruiting Class Update

Since we kind of know what we have this year, what we may be losing, thought i'd see what I could find on the internet with how our 2014 class is doing. In a lot of cases, these stats are incomplete or even a couple weeks old. Anyway, looks like we have some good kids coming in. Real excited about our pitching, and if we could somehow find a way to hang on to Harrison and/or Reetz, that would be awesome...

SCOTT SCHREIBER - RHP/INF
Junior Stats - 10-0 W-L .86 ERA Mr. Baseball Wisconsin 2013
Senior Stats - can't find sorry...

Jakson Reetz - P/C/OF
Junior Stats - .444 avg. 49 RBIs
Senior Stats - .564 avg. 7 HRs 34 RBIs 23BB 6K 11SB / 0-1 W-L 7.1 IP 1.91 ERA 8K 2BB

Byron Hood - RHP
Junior Stats - 6-0 .97 ERA 62K
Senior Stats - .368 avg. 4 HRs 22 RBIs / 4-0 W-L 31.1 IP 2.23 ERA 42K 35BB

Jake Meyers - LHP/OF (LEGACY RECRUIT)
Junior Stats - .442 avg. 2 HRs / 4-0 W-L .83 ERA 48K

Jake McSteen - LHP
Senior Stats - 4-0 .24 ERA (all 4 complete games) 29.1 IP 29K
*stats as of April 24, 2014

Garrett King - RHP
Junior Stats - 10-4 .56 ERA

Monte Harrison - OF
Couldn't find any, sorry, but we all know we want him here...

Zack Engelken - RHP
Junior Stats - 5-0 69K 47IP
Senior Stats - can't find, but was voted preseason Mr. Baseball Kansas

Reece Eddins - RHP
Couldn't find any, sorry...

Eli Dilday - INF
Junior Stats - .432 avg. 8 HRs 44 RBIs
Senior Stats - 12 2B 33 RBI 43 R

Sean Dageforde - INF/RHP
Junior Stats - .282 avg. 2 HRs 29 RBIs 13BB 21K /
Senior Stats - .533 avg. 15 RBIs 10BB 2K / 0-0 2.63 ERA 2BB 16K 13.1 IP

Luis Alvarado - P/OF/INF
Couldn't find any, sorry...

Nathan Chunn - C

Last edited:
Here is a list of top 50 MLB draft prospects (high school and college):
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-draft-update-change-at-the-top-as-pitchers-dominate/

Harrison comes in at #20, so he is obviously someone we will be watching out for in regards to the draft. Reetz i'm sure if we googled would come up in some top few rounds boards. I worry a little bit about McSteen, a left hander that touches 90-91 mph could be someone that scouts look at. Is there anyone else from the freshmen class we need to worry about?

Here is their list from October:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-draft-top-50-october-2013-carlos-rodon/

It appears Harrison moved up 21 spots in their eyes, and Reetz dropped out of their top 50. I would take these rankings with a grain of salt, there are so many prospects that it's not uncommon to be off by a couple rounds if not more. Harrison could fall to the second or third round, Reetz could jump up into the first...

Last edited:
Here is a list of top 50 MLB draft prospects (high school and college):
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-draft-update-change-at-the-top-as-pitchers-dominate/

Harrison comes in at #20, so he is obviously someone we will be watching out for in regards to the draft. Reetz i'm sure if we googled would come up in some top few rounds boards. I worry a little bit about McSteen, a left hander that touches 90-91 mph could be someone that scouts look at. Is there anyone else from the freshmen class we need to worry about?

Here is their list from October:
http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2014-draft-top-50-october-2013-carlos-rodon/

It appears Harrison moved up 21 spots in their eyes, and Reetz dropped out of their top 50. I would take these rankings with a grain of salt, there are so many prospects that it's not uncommon to be off by a couple rounds if not more. Harrison could fall to the second or third round, Reetz could jump up into the first...

Seems like someone around here said the same thing months ago...........

;):Biggrin::thumbsup:

McSteen is having a hell of a year. Looking forward to him suiting up for the Huskers.

Langley pitcher Jake McSteen has excelled on the mound and in the batter’s box for the 10-6 Saxons. The 6-foot southpaw has posted a 0.39 ERA with 39 strikeouts and five complete games in 36 innings pitched. At the plate he has a .490 batting average with 17 RBI and seven extra-base hits.

More here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/recruiting-insider/wp/2014/05/08/langley-pitcher-jake-mcsteen-discusses-stellar-start-nebraska-commitment/

You just can't pass up first round money. Especially for a kid that can fall back on a division 1 football scholarship if it doesn't work out. Set yourself up for life with the money then a back up plan in place to try and make it to the NFL if you can't get to the Majors? It truly is a no-brainer...

Sounds like Erstad is only really worried about Alvarado, Harrison, and Reetz, but says they have some backup plans in place if those guys do go. What is nice is that Harrison while they were counting on him to help the team, wasn't eating up a scholarship towards baseball. Will have a ton of our newcomers coming in to the bridge program for new kids for second summer session to get them acclimated to college life....

You just can't pass up first round money. Especially for a kid that can fall back on a division 1 football scholarship if it doesn't work out. Set yourself up for life with the money then a back up plan in place to try and make it to the NFL if you can't get to the Majors? It truly is a no-brainer...

Isn't it nice to have a Plan "B"? More power to the kid. If we all chip in, maybe he'll reconsider? I'm down for $100 :lol:

Since we are competing with MLB, us "boosters" could possibly match. Good thing we aren't competing with an $EC school!

Isn't it nice to have a Plan "B"? More power to the kid. If we all chip in, maybe he'll reconsider? I'm down for $100 :lol:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back