• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Congratulations, Huskers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardinal

Blackshirt
15 Year Member
Congrats on a solid win. I was only able to watch the game on and off yesterday, but I did see the 99'er. Has to be one of the great calls in a bowl game that I can remember (which isn't saying much, given the state of my memory ;)). Playing relatively mistake free sure do make a difference, don't it! :) That should bode well going into next season.

Not much to say about the Rose, other than Stanford's playcalling was as bad as I have seen in any game in a long time. MSU had 8 in the box and was run-blitzing their LBs all game long and Shaw never altered his season-long game plan of running between the tackles every play except for long passes. A short passing game in the drop zones left uncovered by the blitzing LBs would have not only been successful, but also would have forced MSU to play their D more honestly, which in theory would have opened up the running game. I won't even mention the fact that Shaw ran the ball four straight times, when down 4 with about three minutes left and 75 yards to the end zone. No two minute drill. Oh wait, I mentioned it.

Anyway, congrats on leading the BIg Ten to a good day overall.

Last edited:

Thanks Cardinal. I was wondering how Stanford fans felt about the playcalling as well. There were a lot of runs on 3rd and long situations.

I should have thought about you more during the game Card. Every time I did, it seemed Stanford scored. Just goes to show...I didnt think about you much.....:Biggrin:

Sorry brother...next year.Sounds like you got a good class coming in

Congrats to Stanford too. You played your hearts out in a game against a clearly superior Big 10 team.

I should have thought about you more during the game Card. Every time I did, it seemed Stanford scored. Just goes to show...I didnt think about you much.....:Biggrin:

Sorry brother...next year.Sounds like you got a good class coming in

You could have had my name being chanted by all of the Gregorian, Baha'i and Hindu nations yesterday and it would not have brought the Cardinal a score when they needed it.

The next couple years will be telling. It will be mostly Shaw's recruits starting next Fall, as the Harbaugh guys are almost all gone.

Congrats on a solid win. I was only able to watch the game on and off yesterday, but I did see the 99'er. Has to be one of the great calls in a bowl game that I can remember (which isn't saying much, given the state of my memory ;)). Playing relatively mistake free sure do make a difference, don't it! :) That should bode well going into next season.

Not much to say about the Rose, other than Stanford's playcalling was as bad as I have seen in any game in a long time. MSU had 8 in the box and was run-blitzing their LBs all game long and Shaw never altered his season-long game plan of running between the tackles every play except for long passes. A short passing game in the drop zones left uncovered by the blitzing LBs would have not only been successful, but also would have forced MSU to play their D more honestly, which in theory would have opened up the running game. I won't even mention the fact that Shaw ran the ball four straight times, down 4 with about three minutes left and 75 yards to the end zone. No two minute drill. Oh wait, I mentioned it.

Agree. Hogan could have crawled around the end to the goal line if he had faked the handoff on the last play. Or he could have hit a wide open TE in that situation. Either way they did exactly what everyone was expecting, and that was not a good thing for them.

I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but I called the Huskers 99 yard play before it happened; just glad Beck consulted me before doing something stupid. ;)

I had a good feeling about MSU going up against Stanford. The Rose Bowl was a great game to watch. I love the physicality of both of those teams.

The Stanford v MSU game was a throw back game to the 90's. Two extremely powerful athletic teams. It was a joy to watch. Stanford had their chances but MSU controlled their run game after the 1st quarter, that was the difference in the game for me. I love watching Stanford play because they really do remind me of what we used to be. I was surprised a little at the fact that I thought MSU won the trenches as much as they did. It was a great game to watch.

Just an observation, but since the Utah game, it seemed that Stanford had pulled back on the passing game slightly. MSU was determined not to get beat by the run.

Not much to say about the Rose, other than Stanford's playcalling was as bad as I have seen in any game in a long time. MSU had 8 in the box and was run-blitzing their LBs all game long and Shaw never altered his season-long game plan of running between the tackles every play except for long passes. A short passing game in the drop zones left uncovered by the blitzing LBs would have not only been successful, but also would have forced MSU to play their D more honestly, which in theory would have opened up the running game. I won't even mention the fact that Shaw ran the ball four straight times, down 4 with about three minutes left and 75 yards to the end zone. No two minute drill. Oh wait, I mentioned it.

The Stanford v MSU game was a throw back game to the 90's. Two extremely powerful athletic teams. It was a joy to watch. Stanford had their chances but MSU controlled their run game after the 1st quarter, that was the difference in the game for me. I love watching Stanford play because they really do remind me of what we used to be. I was surprised a little at the fact that I thought MSU won the trenches as much as they did. It was a great game to watch.

yes it was...made me miss that type of football for sure

I would imagine that all those bettors on Stanford that drove the line from -3 to -7 would have a few things to say about the play calling too. I had no doubt that Stanford would win or that they had the better team. I just didn't figure the coach would refuse to adjust. Thought those Stanford types were smarter than that. :)

I know it's easy to say in hindsight, but I called the Huskers 99 yard play before it happened; just glad Beck consulted me before doing something stupid. ;)

I loved watching Kenny running down the field after him, pumping both arms in the air.

I was surprised a little at the fact that I thought MSU won the trenches as much as they did. It was a great game to watch.

MSU clearly was the best D-line Stanford played this year; better than USC's, which against Stanford played to their talent level under Orgeron. Add in the extra 1.5 players in the box every play, without Stanford making them pay, and it was just impossible to open a hole.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread, Cardinal.

I have a lot of respect for what Stanford does, particularly their coaching staff. I'm becoming a UCLA fan by proximity, but I have enough Stanford alum friends that I like to see you all do well. And I do like the Shaw's style.

Last edited:

Thanks for the thread, Cardinal.

I have a lot of respect for what Stanford does, particularly their coaching staff. I'm becoming a UCLA fan by proximity, but I have enough Stanford alum friends that I like to see you all do well. And I do like the Shaw's style.

Agree on all counts. As much as it must have sucked to have been on the losing end of the Rose Bowl, I hope Cardinal that you can take some solace in that it was an extremely hard-fought and well-played game by both sides. From the perspective of a (relatively) disinterested observer, I thought it was an excellent football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back