• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Clock management

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCBuc

Recruit
2 Year Member
At the 3:30 mark, NU throws the ball. Why? I would have felt much better running the ball there. Forcing GA to burn a timeout and make them use the boundaries more on the next drive. Wondered what you thought as you viewed it.

At the 3:30 mark, NU throws the ball. Why? I would have felt much better running the ball there. Forcing GA to burn a timeout and make them use the boundaries more on the next drive. Wondered what you thought as you viewed it.

I was extremely upset about this. Beck just loves to be the smartest guy... refuses to use a FB to lead Ameer with any frequency and the tempo is stupid when trying to run clock. We snapped the ball with 10-15 on the play clock several times inside of 5 mins.

Last edited:
I think he called a pretty good game today, but why do I have the feeling there was something like this going on upstairs from Beck-

"Hmmm, 3rd down. We should run the ball and burn clock. Wait, they know that I know we should run the ball and burn clock. HaHa, well I've got 'em now because I know that they know that I know we should run the ball and burn clock. Wait, wait, but what if they know that I know that they know that I know we should run the ball and burn clock .....oh, hell, just throw the thing."

That's it FLAS. The reality is that having them burn a timeout isn't as big a win as getting a 1st down would have been.

The problem I saw was in the 4th quarter with the lead. Many times we were snapping the ball with 20 -25 seconds left on the play clock. Had they drained down every time we had the ball they could have taken 3 minutes or more off the clock. It shouldn't of even come down to Georgia getting the chance to score again.

Is there a problem with trying to get a first down rather than conceding a punt?

I think the problem with that is at that point Georgia's biggest enemy was clock. Forcing them to burn another timeout is good strategy. However, I will also concede that on the 99 yd td, had I been calling plays I would probably run a QB sneak or hand off to get room for punter to punt. So, I understand that it does go both ways.

I think the problem with that is at that point Georgia's biggest enemy was clock. Forcing them to burn another timeout is good strategy. However, I will also concede that on the 99 yd td, had I been calling plays I would probably run a QB sneak or hand off to get room for punter to punt. So, I understand that it does go both ways.

Very little difference between 1 timeout and 2 with more than 3 min left. Did they even end up using all their TOs?

The problem I saw was in the 4th quarter with the lead. Many times we were snapping the ball with 20 -25 seconds left on the play clock. Had they drained down every time we had the ball they could have taken 3 minutes or more off the clock. It shouldn't of even come down to Georgia getting the chance to score again.

At that point, you are trying to score. You don't mess with tempo there, IMO.

3+ minutes is an eternity for UGA to score. NU couldn't run much off the clock on that down and would have only forced one Of the remaining two TO's to go to punt. If NU gets a 1st, they have to burn both TO's and would be down to 1:30 or so at the least if we don't get another 1st.

What tempo we still didn't move the ball and went 3 and out a couple times with only burning very little time off the clock. Once we punted the ball and there was still around 25 seconds on the play clock?

3+ minutes is an eternity for UGA to score. NU couldn't run much off the clock on that down and would have only forced one Of the remaining two TO's to go to punt. If NU gets a 1st, they have to burn both TO's and would be down to 1:30 or so at the least if we don't get another 1st.

Ok you're right, I'm wrong. I would argue that many coaches around the country don't necessarily feel as you do.

plus puts NU in a position to win the game with another first down

its only an issue cause it didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back