• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Tips for using smokers

ColoREDo

REDo posts matter!!!
10 Year Member
I love to grill but have never used a smoker. We were just given a smoker by friends that didn't want to move it. Its a Brinkmann vertical with two doors and seems to be in pretty good condition.

What is the best way to use this type of smoker. I have gone online and read a lot of different things but would like the HM input.

Something I've learned over the years is that 20 people will give you 20 different methods, each one swearing theirs is the best. Probably just have to do some trial and error.

Something I've learned over the years is that 20 people will give you 20 different methods, each one swearing theirs is the best. Probably just have to do some trial and error.

Thats how it is online I have found. Its a charcoal/wood smoker.

If you want some great information check out amazingribs.com. He spends a lot of time explaining the science behind smoking. Is just fun to experiment.

I have changed my whole way of cooking
I will use the smoker for 2-3 hours depending on what i am cooking
the 2 -3 hours will get you the smoke taste. Then i wrap and throw it in the oil less turkey fryer until the meat reaches correct internal temp

All I can say is....my god that is good.

I have changed my whole way of cooking
I will use the smoker for 2-3 hours depending on what i am cooking
the 2 -3 hours will get you the smoke taste. Then i wrap and throw it in the oil less turkey fryer until the meat reaches correct internal temp

All I can say is....my god that is good.

I will say I was a all wood smoker and have been for years...I have tried many smokers in my life. Gas, elec, Just a ole wood smoker will do the trick better than anything.
THe oil less fryer has taken my cooking to the next level

If you want some great information check out amazingribs.com. He spends a lot of time explaining the science behind smoking. Is just fun to experiment.
I'll second amazingribs.com. Meathead really knows his stuff. Make sure your cook chamber is airtight and fire box for that matter. You can't control temps very well if those aren't sealed off correctly. Pops is on to smoke times. The meat can only absorb so much smoke. After about 2 -3 hours, smoking the meat any more is over kill. Read amazingribs.com. You'll have a hard time screwing up the meat if you follow his advice.

I'll second amazingribs.com. Meathead really knows his stuff. Make sure your cook chamber is airtight and fire box for that matter. You can't control temps very well if those aren't sealed off correctly. Pops is on to smoke times. The meat can only absorb so much smoke. After about 2 -3 hours, smoking the meat any more is over kill. Read amazingribs.com. You'll have a hard time screwing up the meat if you follow his advice.

I spent a lot of time on amazingribs.com to get started. I learned a lot. If your smoker doesnt hold heat very well and you dont want to baby sit all day. Then you can always move to oven after 3 to 4 hours. start with mild woods (pecan) so you dont ruin a good piece of meat. The only thing I dont like about moving to oven is you lose the bark which i find extremely tasty.

you can go to my memorial day weekend thread. while it is not comprehensive, every bit helps.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back