• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked EA Sports Cancels NCAA Football Video Game Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWVAHusker

Starter
20 Year Member
I knew it was just a matter of time, but now it's official. There will not be any more college football video games, at least in the foreseeable future. EA Sports officially cancelled the series, which was due to be renamed College Football next year because the NCAA had already pulled their licensing deal. EA is now looking to settle the Sam Keller/Ed O'Bannon likeness lawsuit.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/09/26/ea-sports-cancels-ncaa-football-series

I knew it was just a matter of time, but now it's official. There will not be any more college football video games, at least in the foreseeable future. EA Sports officially cancelled the series, which was due to be renamed College Football next year because the NCAA had already pulled their licensing deal. EA is now looking to settle the Sam Keller/Ed O'Bannon likeness lawsuit.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/09/26/ea-sports-cancels-ncaa-football-series

:soapbox:

As someone who owns a video game store in Omaha this is what I have to say to Sam Keller: ***** YOU!

Arizona and Nebraska spend $260,000 a year on you and you still weren't happy.

If you want to make money go pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who owns a video game store in Omaha this is what I have to say to Sam Keller: ***** YOU!

Arizona and Nebraska spend $260,000 a year on you and you still weren't happy.

If you want to make money go pro.

He wasnt that good to go pro

Last edited by a moderator:

He wasnt that good to go pro

Than maybe he should thank his lucky stars that he got a free education to set him up the rest of his life.

I think that players should get a living stipend; and I think that is going to change soon, but what Sam Keller did was terrible all around.

Than maybe he should thank his lucky stars that he got a free education to set him up the rest of his life.

I think that players should get a living stipend; and I think that is going to change soon, but what Sam Keller did was terrible all around.

What Callahan did was worse.

Keller is not "set up for the rest of his life." If you believe a college education, even a free one, guarantees anything close to even a decent job in today's job market you haven't been paying attention for the past dozen years or so. This is in addition to the fact that the idea that schools in the Big Ten and other major conferences actually want their QBs and other starters to concentrate as much on school as they do on football is absolute fiction. The old joke where the football coach says "Football is second" while holding up one finger is absolutely true. Last I read Keller was bartending and I believe going to school to learn to be a firefighter.

Lastly, the likeness lawsuits aren't just about video games. As is discussed in the amateurism thread, O'Bannon started this when he found out that UCLA was basically legally entitled to make buckets of cash off of his likeness for the rest of his life and he was entitled to zero. I know the argument against Keller is that he wasn't very good but that's really irrelevant to his and O'Bannon's point. Universities shouldn't be entitled to make buckets of cash off of athletes for the rest of their lives and those guys see none of it. I have zero, absolutely zero, doubt that Nebraska's made millions of dollars more off guys like Tommie Frazier than he's ever going to make in his life. Nebraska's probably made more money off Ahman Green than he'll ever see too and Ahman played in the NFL for a long time. Athletes should be able to receive a portion of sales of merchandise, DVDs etc. once they've graduated.

Last edited:

Keller is not "set up for the rest of his life." If you believe a college education, even a free one, guarantees anything close to even a decent job in today's job market you haven't been paying attention for the past dozen years or so. This is in addition to the fact that the idea that schools in the Big Ten and other major conferences actually want their QBs and other starters to concentrate as much on school as they do on football is absolute fiction. The old joke where the football coach says "Football is second" while holding up one finger is absolutely true. Last I read Keller was bartending and I believe going to school to learn to be a firefighter.

Lastly, the likeness lawsuits aren't just about video games. As is discussed in the amateurism thread, O'Bannon started this when he found out that UCLA was basically legally entitled to make buckets of cash off of his likeness for the rest of his life and he was entitled to zero. I know the argument against Keller is that he wasn't very good but that's really irrelevant to his and O'Bannon's point. Universities shouldn't be entitled to make buckets of cash off of athletes for the rest of their lives and those guys see none of it. I have zero, absolutely zero, doubt that Nebraska's made millions of dollars more off guys like Tommie Frazier than he's ever going to make in his life. Nebraska's probably made more money off Ahman Green than he'll ever see too and Ahman played in the NFL for a long time. Athletes should be able to receive a portion of sales of merchandise, DVDs etc. once they've graduated.

So the "likeness" of players just came to be in the last couple years? The games been out for nearly 20 years, and now all of a sudden people are getting butt hurt about the likeness of it. :rolleyes: This is nothing more than a get rich plan, and unfortunately it worked. If every player that was dipicted in this series from 1993 to today steps up and says they are upset, then I would actually believe its about more than money, but the extrememly teeny tiny sample size of people stepping up butt hurt about it is nearly as sad as the final outcome. Next they should sue developers for creating the technology to make the games "likeness". Then after that maybe they can sue the developers parents for creating the developers, and then sue the grandparents then the great grandparents, great-great grand parents.... If they were truly trying to get the "likeness" out of the games, they would have come to some sort of deal that keeps the game going, but gives them something in return. But nope, they have to go for the gusto and shut down the only video game I enjoy playing.

Last edited:

Very well said.

This is a flawed argument in my opinion. My company makes more money off me than they pay me, but so what? My worth is what someone is willing to pay me, not what they turn around and make off my efforts.

I like Delaney's idea of letting them go pro right out of high school. Then, we will only get the kids in college who want to be there. The bottom line is that no one is forcing them to take that free education. I'm sure there are plenty of other athletes who would kill for the chance. This is just pure greed, but we live in a bleeding heart society. The funny thing is that young athletes LOVE to play these games and for every one Sam Keller, you probably have 10 other guys that want to kick his @55 for taking away their video game!

Never played these games but why do the game players need to look like current stars? Why don't they just let the gamers put in whatever photo they want to for the players?

This is a flawed argument in my opinion. My company makes more money off me than they pay me, but so what? My worth is what someone is willing to pay me, not what they turn around and make off my efforts.

I like Delaney's idea of letting them go pro right out of high school. Then, we will only get the kids in college who want to be there. The bottom line is that no one is forcing them to take that free education. I'm sure there are plenty of other athletes who would kill for the chance. This is just pure greed, but we live in a bleeding heart society. The funny thing is that young athletes LOVE to play these games and for every one Sam Keller, you probably have 10 other guys that want to kick his @55 for taking away their video game!

Yep, hes sooooo concerned what EA sports is making off of him, yet got 3.9 million, got too homesick (serious) to put in the effort needed to succeed in New Jersey. Then, after the free education, he has to sell cars? No nock to car salesman, but I dont know many that went to school to become one. Just like many other college athletes, he went to college only as a stepping stone to the NBA, it didnt work out, blew through his 3.9 million and was looking for a way to get rich. It just shows how soft of a culture we are becoming to reward a mentality like this.

Last edited:
Never played these games but why do the game players need to look like current stars? Why don't they just let the gamers put in whatever photo they want to for the players?

Honestly, there is some resemblance not exact though, but you slap a helmet on a cartoon character, put a #3 on him, put him as the starting QB on Nebraska and its TM. Theres no way around it other than just have random numbers. But fans enjoy that, using their favorite team, or favorite players to play a season, win a NC, heisman etc. 99.9% of the players dipicted in the game love it too.

Last edited:

Honestly, there is some resemblance, but you slap a helmet on a cartoon character, put a #3 on him, put him as the starting QB on Nebraska and its TM. Theres no way around it other than just have random numbers. But fans enjoy that, using their favorite team, or favorite players to play a season, win a NC, heisman etc. 99.9% of the players dipicted in the game love it too.

But wouldn't today's software and computers allow you to insert a photo of your choice; like we put our own avatars here on HuskerMax. If a gamer puts in a photo of Sam Keller so what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back