• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

NU is a 6th Seed

carrolltonsker

Husker Immortal
15 Year Member
NU is a 6th seed and will face Chattanooga in the 1st round in College Station on Saturday at 5:30 pm. The game will be televised on ESPN2.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The Huskers (23-8, 12-4 Big Ten), who gathered as a team to watch the show with invited guests at the Hendricks Complex, will face Southern Conference champion Chattanooga (29-3, 19-1 SoCon) on Saturday, March 23, at 5:30 p.m. (central time) at Reed Arena in College Station, Texas. The Lady Mocs earned the No. 11 seed in the Norfolk Regional after earning an automatic bid by claiming their 14th SoCon Tournament title. The game is scheduled to be televised live by ESPN2.[/FONT]

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=206816191

I'd have thought we might be a 4 or 5 seed, but we will have our hands full with Chattanooga.

I'd have thought we might be a 4 or 5 seed, but we will have our hands full with Chattanooga.

Yeah, a 6 seed is a little higher than I thought we would be. Apparently, the selection committee was not very impressed with our effort against Penn St. and Purdue.

a #6 might not be too bad. My first thought was that we should have been swapped with #5 seed Michigan State. That would put Penn State #3, Purdue as #4, us as a #5, and Mich St as a #6. That seems pretty fair.

If you look at simply swapping us with Michigan State, we'd play at Maryland in round 2 instead of at Texas A&M...probably a wash. The important change would be playing U Conn in Bridgeport, Connecticut instead of Duke in Norfolk, Virginia. Both would be tough tests; but, much rather be sitting where we are actually.

Very questionable seeding with a lot of teams in the tournament IMO........How Mich St got a higher seed than NU is completely beyond me. Apparently, the committee must only watch the conference tournaments and seed based on that. NU, compared just to Mich St., has stronger RPI (16 vs 23), better SOS (12 vs 44), significantly more road wins, better conference record, slightly better record against top 50 RPI (although you could call it a wash), significantly more wins against top 100 RPI teams, and won the head to head meeting.

I know the committee does some weird procedural bumps/movements with schools hosting various rounds, but I am really curious how a RPI of 16 and SOS of 12 earns you a 6 seed?

As it is, terrible draw for NU and it is very unlikely that NU gets past A&M in College Station

Last edited:
[h=3]Big Ten seeds a mystery[/h] An argument could be made that all the Big Ten teams were over-seeded except the teams that finished 1-2 in the league. Penn State has a strong case to be a No. 2. Nebraska finished second in the league and received a No. 6, while Purdue (No. 4 seed) and Michigan State (No. 5) were higher.

Some consideration has to be given to the fact that one or two of these teams could have been moved a seed line to accommodate bracketing principles. But it appears that the Big Ten tournament (Purdue and Michigan State were the finalists) carried fairly considerable weight in the committee room. Purdue as a No. 4 seed is a stretch. The Boilermakers' run to the Big Ten tournament title should not blur the fact that they weren't particularly good in February. Purdue went 3-5 heading into the conference tournament and none of the wins was over NCAA tournament-caliber opposition. Michigan State fared better coming down the stretch, but the Spartans' season was not in any way better than the Cornhuskers' season. Michigan State didn't outpace Nebraska in any significant metric or on the court (Nebraska won the only matchup).

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...aa-tournament-2013-making-sense-women-bracket

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back