• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Conference Champion Tiebreaker Question

Husker in Spokane

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
If the Lady Huskers win out they will be 13-3 in the conference and 23-6 overall. If Penn State falls one game between now and when they play Nebraska in the final game of the regular season, and then falls to the Huskers on March 3rd, they will also be 13-3 in the conference but 24-5 overall. Does the fact that they would have a one win edge over Nebraska in the overall season come into play in determining who the Big Ten Champion would be or would a tied conference record make them co-champions? And if Purdue wins out, they would also have a conference record of 13-3 and overall record of 24-5.

Just wondering how such a scenario would play out. Of course, the best scenario is for the Huskers to win out, PSU lose 3 and Purdue lose one! Fingers crossed!

If we beat Penn State in our last game, we'll have beaten them twice and have the tiebreaker in a two way tie.

A three way tie is more complicated; but, I think we'd get that one as well.. We only play Purdue once and lost that game. Purdue and Penn State only play once; and Penn State already has the win there. So, if you look at all three teams together; Nebraska would be 2-1, Penn State would be 1-2, and Purdue would be 1-1.

B. Multiple team tie:
1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular-season. a. When comparing records against the tied teams, the team with the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1, but 2-0 is not better than 1-0).
The official tiebreaker rules.

Last edited:
I'm not sure, but if they tie, I believe they would be regular season co-champions. The automatic tournament qualifier is determined by the conference tournament.

I'm not sure, but if they tie, I believe they would be regular season co-champions. The automatic tournament qualifier is determined by the conference tournament.

I believe this is correct as well. The tie breaker would only matter for seeding in the conference tournament.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back