• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked SI.com-First impressions send Martinez, Bell soaring up Heisman Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonder Monds Fan

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/cory_mccartney/heisman-watch/index.html

More good press for Taylor, he's up to #5 on SI's Heisman watch.

5. QB Taylor Martinez, Nebraska, Jr.

Last week: 26-of-34 passing for 354 yards and five touchdowns; six rushes for 10 yards in a 49-20 win over Southern Miss.
Watchman's take: Are we finally seeing T-Magic in full? It sounded ridiculous when Martinez said his completion rate goal for this season was "70 percent or above" -- Martinez had a 56.3 percentage last season and 59.2 as a freshman -- but maybe it wasn't so crazy. He was simply brilliant in the opener, hitting on 76.5 percent of his throws in totaling 364 yards of offense. He also matched his career-high with five touchdown strikes. Making it even more impressive, the outburst came largely without the aid of running back Rex Burkhead, who exited after the first three series with a knee sprain. Martinez has made appearances on this list over the last two years, but may finally be a factor for the long haul.
Next up: Saturday at UCLA

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/cory_mccartney/heisman-watch/index.html#ixzz25X7nZOJf

It's great to see him getting some love from the media. I just hope he can keep that love going into October this time.

If the offense can move like that against our big 10 opponents, then I will start getting excited.

It's great to see him getting some love from the media. I just hope he can keep that love going into October this time.

If the offense can move like that against our big 10 opponents, then I will start getting excited.

I think Martinez is on a mission this year. Hes got a chip on his shoulder, and baring any setbacks (injury). He could have a special season.

It's only the first game against sub-par competition. If he stays on the list throughout the conference season, he will have an incredible year.

It's only the first game against sub-par competition. If he stays on the list throughout the conference season, he will have an incredible year.
I half agree with you; it's only the first game.
Southern Miss did not look sub-par. A lot of those completions would have been knocked down or intercepted if they hadn't been on the money.

Nice for him. But there is soooo far to go. I hope the coaches ban all reading until the end of the season. :Biggrin:

Nice for him. But there is soooo far to go. I hope the coaches ban all reading until the end of the season. :Biggrin:

Lol, "Sorry guys, no more studying, reading is off limits till after the season, Im sure your teachers will understand."

But of course, for schools line Alabama, that would mean the have to be able to read first! :lol::stickouttongue:

Lol, "Sorry guys, no more studying, reading is off limits till after the season, Im sure your teachers will understand."

But of course, for schools line Alabama, that would mean the have to be able to read first! :lol::stickouttongue:

Exactly. It puts us on a level playing field. :Biggrin:

40+ carries will last about 3 games and he'll be worthless for the rest of the year.

Yup, I hope this is how the season goes as we will be nearly unbeatable. Time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back