Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Game Or Circus?

Football Game Or Circus?

I have been thinking about this since I arrived home from the game last night.I will preface this post by saying I'm nearly 60 and have had my seats in Memorial stadium for over 30 years. I fully understand what some percieve as a need to cater to the desires of all the young high school football players we are trying to recruit but I am wondering if this may be at the cost of alienating some of the older fan base such as myself.I'm wondering if anyone else felt like the game yesterday was more like a circus or carnival than a football game? To me,the music was way too loud,played way too often and in my opinion actually detracted from the whole game experience.Not sure what to think of the WiFi deal,all of the texting etc on the cell phones was enough to drive me crazy and now the fans are bringing laptops and holding them up in the air to take photos.Instead of something worthwhile being shown on the big screen, we are asked to text in whether we prefer the cornheads or the red foam hats! Dedicated lines at the concessions for debit cards is another thing that I'm sure will really appeal to some but is it really that hard to carry a few bucks cash to buy a soda and a dog? My 17 year old grandson attends every game with me and has since he was 7 or 8 and even he thought the whole remake was a bit much. I am not a person who makes snap decisions but at this point in time,I'm not sure I'll renew my 4 seats for next year......I know many on here will disagree with me and say "good maybe some real fans will be able to buy those tickets". Just wondering what everyone else thinks? GO BIG RED!

Husker Immortal
    It's out of control. Like the ghost of Dollar Bill has returned. I ordered a DVD of the Henerey kick and I got a commercial before and after every play the entire game. Never order another.

Money corrupts everything.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by SSCHUSKER View Post
    I have been thinking about this since I arrived home from the game last night.I will preface this post by saying I'm nearly 60 and have had my seats in Memorial stadium for over 30 years. I fully understand what some percieve as a need to cater to the desires of all the young high school football players we are trying to recruit but I am wondering if this may be at the cost of alienating some of the older fan base such as myself.I'm wondering if anyone else felt like the game yesterday was more like a circus or carnival than a football game? To me,the music was way too loud,played way too often and in my opinion actually detracted from the whole game experience.Not sure what to think of the WiFi deal,all of the texting etc on the cell phones was enough to drive me crazy and now the fans are bringing laptops and holding them up in the air to take photos.Instead of something worthwhile being shown on the big screen, we are asked to text in whether we prefer the cornheads or the red foam hats! Dedicated lines at the concessions for debit cards is another thing that I'm sure will really appeal to some but is it really that hard to carry a few bucks cash to buy a soda and a dog? My 17 year old grandson attends every game with me and has since he was 7 or 8 and even he thought the whole remake was a bit much. I am not a person who makes snap decisions but at this point in time,I'm not sure I'll renew my 4 seats for next year......I know many on here will disagree with me and say "good maybe some real fans will be able to buy those tickets". Just wondering what everyone else thinks? GO BIG RED!
    I wasn't there, but I think I can understand some of your annoyances.

The bolded, however, is possibly the most ridiculous complaint I've ever heard.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Husker Immortal Love Tool
    A lot of plays get missed because a lot of fans are looking at their phones all the time.

I wish they had a line for checkbook people in stores now days! Man do i hate it when I have card in hand and someone in front of me is holding up the line because they are writing a check!
    The Skunk Has Spoken!

I swear skunk was squeezin my buttocks !
    Skunkman's nose nailed this one.
    Never squat with yer spurs on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer
    "You gotta watch the Skunkman."
    I don't want to ruin Skunk's rep, but I have to report that he is a very hospitable and generous guy, besides being a super Husker fan.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkman1 View Post
    A lot of plays get missed because a lot of fans are looking at their phones all the time.

I wish they had a line for checkbook people in stores now days! Man do i hate it when I have card in hand and someone in front of me is holding up the line because they are writing a check!
    and filling out the checkbook record very, very carefully. Making sure of spelling and punctuation.

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    Easily one of the best "get off my lawn" threads of all time.

That said, I'd like to hit the refresh on some things as well.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

Red Shirt
    El Paso for a few months then West Point, NE
    Quote Originally Posted by SSCHUSKER View Post

uhhh...you're serious with this thread, right?

*MIND-BLOWN*

...so did you complain when car's came out with A/C or fuel injectors too- or did those things take away from the "car driving experience" in the hot summers or frigid winters? Seriously. It's a question I'm asking.

Just because there are OPTIONS out there for people to use to enjoy any one particular part of the experience that is Memorial Stadium and Big Red Football during the game, doesn't make it wrong. Did you moan and groan about instant replay taking up too much time between plays too? How about the stat boards when they put those up, or would you rather count on your fingers and toes how many carries and yards Ameer has per game?

Music has had a part of sports, let alone college football for centuries. If it's too loud, then bring ear plugs or turn down your hearing aids. Deal with it- i mean seriously....the more i think about your gripes, the more upset i get. Do you tell people to sit down and shut up when it's 3rd and short and the blackshirts are hoping for a 3 & Out? ....trust me, it's happened to me.

...and you're seriously going there complaining about debit cards? I'm not even responding to that. At all.

The Cornhuskers don't wear tear-away jerseys anymore, and last time I checked- no leather helmets either. Next thing I know you'll complain about the technology of the cushioning that the helmets in there. LET THE CONCUSSIONS COME!!!

..in all seriousness- WHO CARES?! In the end, ask yourself this. Is there still a football game being played on the field? Is that the reason you're there, to cheer the team on? There ya go.

End of Rant.

Its the soldier not the reporter who has given us freedom of press. Its the soldier -not the poet -who has given us freedom of speech. Its the soldier who serves beneath the Flag. Who salutes the Flag. Whose coffin is draped by the Flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.Its the soldier not the politician who has given his blood, his body, and his life to give us these freedoms.

Blackshirt
    Chuckle! Hang in there, SSC. Chuckle
    Huskers Uber Alles

Quote Originally Posted by Merle View Post
    Chuckle! Hang in there, SSC. Chuckle

Nice to see you Merle! Hope all is well!
    The Skunk Has Spoken!

I don't want to ruin Skunk's rep, but I have to report that he is a very hospitable and generous guy, besides being a super Husker fan.

God I admire you.
    Sit down, my grandma can't see!!
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

I was there and didn't notice any difference other than the fireworks (which were cool enough). Perhaps I'm oblivious but I go to the games to watch football. The rest of that stuff is background noise. Let's not give this blue hair rep anymore legs.
    nm57

Recruit
    I was offered free tickets friday night. Good seats in the endzone. I went with this friend last year to the MSU game but he couldn't go yesterday and offered me both tickets. While nothing beats the actual game there is so much junk happening in the stadium that I can't say it was enjoyable enough for me to drive 100 miles and listen to loud music I can't stand and commercials for things I will never buy....except maybe a Runza occasionally. I understand that time is money and every second they are making money on something. Personally I would enjoy talking to those around me without having to shout.

I do hate the long tv time outs when I am at the game but Meh, I do like the commercials when I am at home to go take a bathroom break!
    The Skunk Has Spoken!

Recruit
    I understand your frustration... But I do find it hilarious and ironic that you're 60 years old and chose a computer and the internet to complain about your hatred for new technologies

Recruit
    Welcome Buddybacker! I have no problem with a purist voicing concerns about changes that sometimes seem rapid. I remember my grandma keeping stats for every game back when those things weren't done instantly by the magic box. It's a great memory, but things do change...sometimes even for the better.

Don't know how I'd live without a debit card.
    I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.