Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Big Red Breakfast Corn Flakes Minnesota Edition

Administrator

Big Red Breakfast Corn Flakes Minnesota Edition

Courtesy of Doug Law and Lisa Runco

BIG RED BREAKFAST

Corn Flakes, 7th Edition
    10/25/13

NU vs Minnesota

Recruiting Information: Sean Callahan
    Now at 13 commits. They want to take 24-25 this year, a pretty full class. They get Josh, DB out of Houston, big one for NU. They have a lot of seniors in their defensive backfield right now that they will need to replace, want to take 4-5 DBs. He was just named Houston’s player of the week last week. Coaches out on road last week, they’ve had two solid weeks in October due to bye weeks which has been great opportunity. They can go watch high school games, look at juniors for next year, find a couple of seniors that might emerge yet this year. Probably wont get out again until after Bgi 10 championship week. Drew Brown set Texas state record for consecutive extra points, out kicking recruit, a state record (brother of Chris Brown).

Today’s Speaker: Defensive Backs – Terry Joseph – 2nd season with Bo (cousin of former Husker QB Mickey Joseph)

Coach’s comments: Thanks to Sean Callahan for ruining my morning now that I realize I have to recruit so many DBs because I am losing so many – haha!

Bye weeks have really helped us this year. Really worried about what would happen after UCLA. The last few weeks we have played better – in my opinion, we had time. The only way our guys gain experience is through time, focus on details of every play. We have communicated better on defense. We have been able to tackle better. Time has helped us become better teammates, has brought us closer, had helped us put a better product of defense on the field. When you always look to improve, you have to understand that your time is limited. If anybody tells you, you have to do better, it’s human nature to think “I have to do more”, but you then often end up doing more things WORSE. They are trying to do TOO MUCH. We are not asking anyone on defense to be a superstar – just do your job. When Bo said he wanted everyone to have more fun, it was misconstrued – it wasn’t really fun – haha! It was about making it less stressful. Like Ciante, settle down, do less, and what you do, do BETTER.

Minnesota – power running team, will try to run it right down our throats. They do not have a RB or a QB that is under 220 lbs. We have to TACKLE. Get some safeties hats around the ball. We expect it to be a cold windy game. We have to be good on 1st and 2nd down, if we can get them behind the sticks on third, we can get some pressure on QB and make some plays. Had a really good workout yesterday.

Secondary – Stanley – playing well, really came along in off season, I wont answer any questions about the ejection. He is playing tough, physical and confident, has been a pleasure to watch. Ciante is playing a lot better the past few weeks. The players that made the calls last year aren’t here – early on he was doing too much. At safety, Coop has been quietly consistent, happy where he is at, he plays and practices hard. He has to communicate more at this position, but he is a good tackler. Other safety – 3-4 guys have played – Andrew Green (trsf over from corner); Harvey Jackson – last week or so doing better, believe he can be a great player for us; Leroy Alexander – came in off radar, big interception against Purdue, great basketball player, give s you some length. Josh Mitchell is at other corner – didn’t have best game against Purdue, he is 5’8” 155 libs, he has to play tough. Some time all of his focus goes on being too tough and he loses his technique.

We do have the stage set for the next few years as far as athleticism.

The season has flown by. Now our schedule is such that we need to hunker down, will be very physical, our bodies and minds are rested and we are ready to go. Minnesota is confident after their win at Northwestern.

Questions:

1. What do you think you will se tomorrow out o Minnesota?

Two backs out of backfield, two TEs. They aren’t going to try to fool us. Try to make 3rd down manageable. We have been able to make better adjustments during these past few games.

1. Rose and Day – long athletic guys who can run, looking for them to mature a bit more. Look at Stanley-Jean situation, when you truly dedicate yourself to the game, you can play. I don’t recruit backups, I recruit starters. The best guys will play.
    2. Stovall – walk-on – how is he coming along, looked good in high school . I only saw a little bit of him in camp. I have seen him a little bit, will get true eval of him in the spring.
    3. Depth at LB do you see moving Gary back to safety – YES I DO. Just waiting on the proper time, would love to have him back. Coach Els stole him. That was a dagger for me. He could also turn into an All Big 10 LB, so he can do anything that we need him to do.
    4. I have a good number of guys who can play, mistakes wont be tolerated, I can put a lot of different guys in. This is big time Division 1 football, this is not round robin, we play for keeps. To keep your job, you have to do your job. Some people say this is harsh, I say it’s the truth and the truth is always the better way to go.
    5. Today’s schedule. We have meetings from 9:30 to 10:30. We will practice at Hawks. Finish at 11:15. Get to airport at 12:45. Get there 3:30. Eat, have meetings. Movie night – they are excited. Last meal at 10:30, sleep. Pregame meal is 7:00 a.m. which is tough. My story – I was a baseball player, drafted by the Cubs, played for Padres. Coached high school in Louisiana, worked for Bo at LSU. Went to La Tech – 4 yrs. Tennessee for 3 yrs. Bo and JP called me about this job. At first, I was like hmmmm. I HATE cold weather. Grew up in south, coaching SEC. Called Mickey – he said “what are you waiting for?” I do more research, 48 hrs later I was in Lincoln. You guys lied to me, last year was NOT a light winter – it snowed on May 2nd!
    6. Mickey is the WR coach at Alcorn St in Mississippi. Doing well. Team is 5-2,

GO BIG RED! Beat those GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!
    "I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus

Husker Immortal
    Thanks to all. Love my Friday Corn Flakes.

Thanks for the report! I particularly liked reading these two parts:

I don’t recruit backups, I recruit starters. The best guys will play.
    I have a good number of guys who can play, mistakes wont be tolerated, I can put a lot of different guys in. This is big time Division 1 football, this is not round robin, we play for keeps. To keep your job, you have to do your job.

Good stuff...
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Red Shirt
    Thanks for the Corn Flakes....it is always a good read!!
    Steve
    bentNblue

Heisman
    Part of my weekly ritual.
    If you continue to have your practices open to the public, don’t be surprised if they show up. All of them.

Greatness is made in empty stadiums, but it’s revealed in full stadiums.

Free Agent
    gotta love da corn flakes.. Thanks Max! Love Joseph's cold weather story.

SuperFan
    SKI U MAH!! =)

SKI-U-MAH!

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedMax View Post
    Courtesy of Doug Law and Lisa Runco

BIG RED BREAKFAST

Corn Flakes, 7th Edition
    10/25/13

NU vs Minnesota
    [*]I have a good number of guys who can play, mistakes wont be tolerated, I can put a lot of different guys in. This is big time Division 1 football, this is not round robin, we play for keeps. To keep your job, you have to do your job. Some people say this is harsh, I say it’s the truth and the truth is always the better way to go.

GO BIG RED! Beat those GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!

Does this not reverberate back to players playing timid for fear of making a mistake, thus, making more or worse not using their athletic abilities to their full potential (i.e playing fast)?

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdaze View Post
    Does this not reverberate back to players playing timid for fear of making a mistake, thus, making more or worse not using their athletic abilities to their full potential (i.e playing fast)?
    I don't know, but this might be over thinking this. Good athletes have confidence. You play the way you practice, generally. So, it they practice well, they should play well. But, I think if you have too much complicating factors, it slows the players down. Simpler is better when it comes to running and hitting and limited amount of practice time.

The old Nebraska way of having 4 practice stations with a lot of reps for everyone should help a lot.

Knowledgeable Footbal Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by RedEd View Post
    The old Nebraska way of having 4 practice stations with a lot of reps for everyone should help a lot.
    That thought reflected here.