Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First BCS Rankings Are Out: Huskers #24

Exclamation First BCS Rankings Are Out: Huskers #24

This is the poll that matters from here on in.......in order to play in a BCS game there are two routes for Nebraska.....win the B1G CCG or finish in the Top 14 to earn a Wildcard slot....other that than that and they fall into the B1G Ten Bowl tie-in's.....

Anything could happen from here on in....should be fun....I'm looking forward to the next six games as they will answer a lot of questions pro and con......honestly I'm not sure anyone really knows where this bus is going at this point in time....I'm optimistic....but time will tell.....

Ohio State is #4 and Michigan is #22.....the only other B1G teams in the poll.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...69--ncaaf.html
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Husker Immortal
    BCS must know something our posters don't.

Junior Varsity
    Glad were in the top 25 looking to get into the top 10 by years end gbr!
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.

Harris Poll and Coaches Poll are the two human polls used....

AP Poll at this point is pretty much null and void.....does not figure into the equation at all.....

Samuel McKewon@swmckewonOWH Nebraska No. 23 in Harris Poll: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vault/BCS_Oct_20_2013.pdf …

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    BCS must know something our posters don't.
    BCS is reasonable with 24. Though I feel the computer quotient is more reasonable. Right now, somewhere between 25 and 35 "seems" fine. Haven't had an opportunity to prove our worthiness against decent competition (other than UCLA). So, it's a huge unknown -- and more of an unknown for Nebraska than the majority of teams. But in October, a lot is left to be answered for every team.

Sam was valid in his reasoning for not ranking the Huskers in his poll -- though it is meaningless for BCS calculations. (Unfortunately, as I put more stock in the AP than the Coaches or Harris -- though the computers are my ultimate preference.)

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    AP Poll at this point is pretty much null and void.....does not figure into the equation at all.....
    Boy, I bet that sticks in the craw of many sportswriters.

Husker Immortal
    Our total offense is 21st in the nation and our scoring defense is 34th. I can live with a 24th ranking. We run the string in Oct/Nov we will be just fine.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by bucktril View Post
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.

You know what....we have things to get better at, but from what I have seen from the B1G so does everyone else......you nailed it with your last sentence...anyone who honestly thinks they know how the B1G is going to finish I'd question....from Ohio State on down.....all have issues and all have strengths....Nebraska has as good a shot as anyone of the so-called 'top teams' to win this this whole thing....or we could fall flat on our face....I'm optimistic....and why not?.....any of these teams is beatable.....there is not one team left who we can't beat....and yeah it remains to be seen....I honestly have no clue at this point in time.....take her game by game and see what happens...if the defensive continues to get better then the sky is limit....if not then it could get ugly or somewhere in between.....

Right now I'm looking forward to the final six games....should be fun....

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerWeatherman View Post
    BCS is reasonable with 24. Though I feel the computer quotient is more reasonable. Right now, somewhere between 25 and 35 "seems" fine. Haven't had an opportunity to prove our worthiness against decent competition (other than UCLA). So, it's a huge unknown -- and more of an unknown for Nebraska than the majority of teams. But in October, a lot is left to be answered for every team.

Sam was valid in his reasoning for not ranking the Huskers in his poll -- though it is meaningless for BCS calculations.

And a lot of fans too....but a fact is a fact....the AP is pretty meaningless from here on in no matter how anyone argues it.....ABC/ESPN etc. will use the BCS poll from here on in....

Husker Fan
    You know what....we have things to get better at, but from what I have seen from the B1G so does everyone else......you nailed it with your last sentence...anyone who honestly thinks they know how the B1G is going to finish I'd question....from Ohio State on down.....all have issues and all have strengths....Nebraska has as good a shot as anyone of the so-called 'top teams' to win this this whole thing....or we could fall flat on our face....I'm optimistic....and why not?.....any of these teams is beatable.....there is not one team left who we can't beat....and yeah it remains to be seen....I honestly have no clue at this point in time.....take her game by game and see what happens...if the defensive continues to get better then the sky is limit....if not then it could get ugly or somewhere in between.....

Right now I'm looking forward to the final six games....should be fun....
    It's wide open -- that's for sure. The Big Ten is hardly impressive -- and that certainly leaves the door open for Nebraska. In many ways, I love that. I feel like we do have a legitimate chance to at least play in the conference championship game. In another way, it scares me. It leaves for the potential for a bigger disappointment than I would have guessed a month or two ago. Because I do feel there isn't a game we can't win. Let's just please... please ... avoid anymore blowout losses. I can't stomach those any longer!

Husker Fan
    Well... it's been like this for several years now.

Starter
    It was the AP sportswriters that requested the BCS not use their poll in it's formula. So...no, it doesn't.

I can live with 24th too....at this point in time I think its fair.....where it goes from here is in our hands up or down....and I agree if we run the table.....we should be close to the Top 10.....and even a close loss in the CCG, if we win out, would hopefully keep us in the Top 14.....but we are getting ahead of ourselves...lets take each game one at a time....and hopefully win each one....and get better on defensive as we move on....and find a capable replacement for Spencer Long.....

I'm a one game at time guy from here on in.....lets win and build for the next game....should be fun....

Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    Our total offense is 21st in the nation and our scoring defense is 34th. I can live with a 24th ranking. We run the string in Oct/Nov we will be just fine.

And there was a reason why.....and we both know it....

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    It was the AP sportswriters that requested the BCS not use their poll in it's formula. So...no, it doesn't.

Husker Immortal
    Harris Poll and Coaches Poll are the two human polls used....

Samuel McKewon@swmckewonOWH Nebraska No. 23 in Harris Poll: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vault/BCS_Oct_20_2013.pdf …

Speaking of the ap, it must have killed them to rank us, period! I'm sure, if they didn't, they would, definitely, come under (about time!!) scrutiny.

More than several....and Mac Brown and his lobbying was the big reason....

Well... it's been like this for several years now.

Husker Fan
    More than several....and Mac Brown and his lobbying was the big reason....
    Since 2005.

If disappointment is the issue than I would have stopped watching football a long time ago...

We have the ball in our court....its how we play it from here on in....like I said I'm optimistic....

Even this coming Saturday should tell us something....I expect to see the D continue to improve....if they do then there is hope....Randy Gregory has been a God-send.....and SJB emerging has also.....the younger guys are feeding off of them.....and as SSO said in another thread this D is going to be nasty in 2014....and hopefully a just a little this season as they grow....

It's wide open -- that's for sure. The Big Ten is hardly impressive -- and that certainly leaves the door open for Nebraska. In many ways, I love that. I feel like we do have a legitimate chance to at least play in the conference championship game. In another way, it scares me. It leaves for the potential for a bigger disappointment than I would have guessed a month or two ago. Because I do feel there isn't a game we can't win. Let's just please... please ... avoid anymore blowout losses. I can't stomach those any longer!

Yup after Mac Brown's 'infamous' lobbying....

Since 2005.