Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Big Red Breakfast Corn Flakes Purdue Edition

Administrator

Big Red Breakfast Corn Flakes Purdue Edition

Courtesy of Doug Law and Lisa Runco:

BIG RED BREAKFAST

Corn Flakes, 6th Edition
    BIG RED BREAKFAST
    10/11/13

Today’s Coach – John Garrison – O Line Coach

Coach’s Comments:
    This is our first road game. At the beginning of the week we have coached our guys to get ready for Purdue and for first road game. The landing strip where we are landing it too short – we all have to pack light….haha! I didn’t eat this morning!

Packing is always a distraction – this isn’t a vacation this is a business trip. Some have only flown once or twice in their lives, or have never flown – so these things lead into some interesting situations and distractions.

Last week was a big win for us – good to start Big 10 play in the fashion that we did. 30-40 mph wind gusts at times last week – it was great, it was Big 10 football. We figured that it was going to have to be a ground game. Weather was a factor. O-Line – they weren’t going to sweat too much last week. It is a veteran group, they enjoy the challenge. When I played here, I don’t know if you remember the scoreboard in the end zone that had the rushing total – we always looked at that. We needed 300+ yds rushing and then we knew we had the game won. Their attitude they did a nice job. Cole Pensick looked at the board – only 280 yds rushing at that point- Coach, we have more to do!

Overall very impressed with that they did. As young as we are, our front 7 on defense are extremely young. Having success is a very good deal. Its such a mental game. Hard to recover from tough losses. It’s a game of confidence and emotion and it was nice to see our defense have some confidence last week.

Special teams – I am in charge of the field goal unit, but not the kickers. If I was, it would be a different deal. It’s just a lack of focus.

Purdue has a great front 7, that is the strength of their team. Probably the hardest hitting safeties that we’ll see – in doing that, they will miss us sometimes, but when they hit us, it will be hard. Last week we felt that once we got past their front 7, we would do pretty well. Purdue has better tacklers, we have to protect the ball.

Offensively, we don’t know what to expect from Purdue. We have to be focused, get in and get out. They may pull a few redshirts, that may light a fire under their guys, that happens sometimes. This is a tough place to play. Their attendance is averaging around 44K. Hope to see some Husker fans out there. I know you guys can travel to Indiana, it was neat to see the stadium at Notre Dame a few years ago.

O-Line- waiting on doughnuts right now and I am the doughnut delivery guy! We have recruited well at this position, but there hasn’t been much chemistry in the group until recently. Coach Cotton and I have tried to reinstill this in them. They have to hang out together. I encourage them to get together, they do this every Thursday night. It’s a small part of the process, but important. They will play more as a unit when they hang out together outside of the games/practices. I now hear arguing and yelling outside of my office now, they are fighting about knockdowns and pancakes. This is good to hear. When Ameer sprung the option last week, Jake Cotton sprints 30 yds and launches himself and takes out two guys. You have O-linemen sprinting to the ball. Are you guys excited to see the option again..? YES It gives you big play opportunity. Tommy brings a different piece of the puzzle for us, esp with the option. If a team wants to stop the run, they can do it. But with the option, you block that 8th defender with the QB. If they bring 9 in the box, you can pass. We want to run the ball as much as we can.

Last year we gave up 35 sacks. You have to be successful on 1st and 2nd down, if you are, you have a lot more opportunities on 3rd down. If you have 3rd and long, your opportunities are really limited. Our centers are handling all of our protection calls, not the QB. A lot of centers, because of their height, you can’t see past that first level. Our guys are intelligent, they know the angles. Pensick and Pellini – I trust them both to be able to handle protection. Our QBs have done a good job of getting rid of the ball, have good pocket presence. The issues that we have during the week, they show up during games. The good things we do during the week show up in games also. Our guys are fun group to coach.

We play 3 tackles, 3 seniors, 8 in rotation. Sirles – a bit dinged up with finger. He goofed up on a pass protection. He will have list of 30 plays and needs to tell what his assignment is – he can fill out this test at every position, he understands the game. Brent Qvale– usually comes in after 1st series. Andy Rodriguez – he is a big boy, has big bone structure – 340!! His conditioning has gotten better, but his mental game is outstanding, a lot of NFL scouts see his potential. Long drives – he gets a bit tired toward the end. Moved to Nebraska in 9th grade, had never thought about playing football before coming here. Never redshirted, a big mistake on our part. Now he is starting to understand and enjoy the game. Zach Sterup – close to cracking the lineup – when recruiting him, I thought his waist was too narrow - but he has gotten huge, very athletic – now 315 lbs. Matt Finnin – I knew there would be a learning curve, he is all-in, very intense, came here to play right away. I told him this is a marathon, not a sprint. He is going against guys who have a lot more experience. David N? - sky is the limit for him. He will be a superstar. Has never lifted weights before coming here!

Guards – Spencer Long – has been in double digit pancakes, scouts are looking at him. I am most impressed with what he is doing as a leader. Kids have a hard time communicating today and don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. We have been teaching our guys how to be leaders. Mike Moudy – asked him to lose 10 lbs at beginning of season, which he has done. Jake Cotton – he is everything that you think of, hard core. I think Metallica is playing in his head. Shows up on game day, has become better technician. My concern with him was learning pass protection, he is so aggressive. My pushing point with him is “elevator music” – he just wants to kill every guy, he needs to relax and focus.

Center – I wish they were over 6’ tall, they are barely there. They have great intelligence and ability.

Questions:

1. What is the definition of offensive holding? Our O-line hasn’t had ANY holding calls this year!! When you wear white gloves, you don’t want to attract attention with these. They don’t wear them in the NFL. I promise you there is holding on every snap, every down. I call it “legal” holding. You need to be able to control a guy and sustain a block – if you don’t hold, you have no chance of sustaining a block. You can have your hands to the inside. And you have to move your feet! The game has changed so much. My son is 2 yrs old – he is obsessed with football – we have iPad with icon of huddle app which allows our guys to watch tape at home. My son will open this up, go tour practice and hit “play” but he will watch this for hours on end, my wife has to take it away from him – hah! The game has changed so much, watching old film of myself, I would give myself a failing grade most of the time. Defenses have changed so much which has forced offenses to change also.
    2. Is our defensive line changing over the year? Yes, they are starting to feel more confortable? They are out there playing, so they are playing faster and not over-focusing on technique, where they are supposed to line up, etc. There is a learning curve with Maliek Collins and others.
    3. Two really good fullbacks – are they going to be used on short downs, now that O-line is doing so well? Yes, CJ Zimmer might be one of best running fullbacks around. They are all great run blockers. It’s in there, not sure we will get to it.
    4. Chongo Kondolo is taking some resp with our 1’s right now. We hope to redshirt him, barring injury. Hope to fill Spencer’s position with Chongo. Also cross training him at center. Ryan Reeves – has played several positions as well. Has focused hard on learning center for emergency situations, great pass blocker. Givens Price – interesting guy – has got longest legs you can imagine, short torso. Looks like Under Armour model- he looks the part – he showed up on campus and he was like 16 yo. The maturity part of it has been big. If something happened to Spencer, Givens would go in for him tomorrow. I trust him, like him with recruits.
    5. Does O-line know when Tommy and Ron are in there, because they look like they are protecting them harder. They could care less about that, they are always doing their job. Tommy is so natural at QB, sets himself up well. He is a really good technician. Ronny is a veteran. When he is given the opportunity to play, he does the job. When not, he is helping to coach the other guys.
    6. Purdue plans on being very physical with us – do our kids take this as a challenge? Yes, we know they have a physical defensive line. Our guys still feel confident. Purdue’s record doesn’t show what I am seeing on tape. They have some big guys on here that can move around. They have pulled 3 redshirts for this game. We understand what is ahead of us.
    7. Can you talk about Lewis? I have to leave that alone, it’s a wait and see.

GO BIG RED!! Beat those BOILERMAKERS!!!!
    "I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus

Thanks as always for posting this David...
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Some real insight from Coach Garrison....he has done a really good job with the O-line....

Travel Squad

Love these threads. But did someone there really ask if our line knows what QB is in because it looks like they protect harder for one rather than the other? People wonder why Bo and the staff get sick of the questions...

Recruit
    Thought his comment about it would be different if he was in charge of kickers was interesting. Who is he saying isn't getting those guys focused?
    "Welcome to the night train." - Hunter S. Thompson

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Love these threads. But did someone there really ask if our line knows what QB is in because it looks like they protect harder for one rather than the other? People wonder why Bo and the staff get sick of the questions...
    No kidding, what a silly question and to really think coach Garrison was going to say anything different than what he said is also silly...

Yeah silly at best....

Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Thought his comment about it would be different if he was in charge of kickers was interesting. Who is he saying isn't getting those guys focused?
    I caught that too and now am a bit worried someone is sleeping on the job.. We need to get this worked out because we are going to need a kicker this season to save our bacon.