BIG RED BREAKFAST -- Corn Flakes, 4th Edition 9/20/13
Courtesy of Doug Law:
BIG RED BREAKFAST
Corn Flakes, 4th Edition
NU vs S Dakota State
Recruiting Report – Sean Callahan
How will all off the field stuff affect recruiting? It’s going to be what happens on the field the next 4-5 weeks for Nebraska, if things are good, people will forget about it. Last week NU did have 4 official visitors on campus – 2 kids from Lincoln and 2 4-star recruits from out of state, Ricky Walker out of Virginia, another kids who is already committed to Miami – doubt he will switch. Two potential 4-star QBs will be here this week, they are still juniors. Deandre Scott – DB out of Philadelphia will be here. This is a week where it didn’t make sense to bring a lot of guys in.
Coach Rich Fisher – Wide Receivers– 2nd year
Coach’s comments: I picked a great week to speak here – haha! It’s been a really difficult week, not only for our players but for our coaches and families as well. Any tie a situation like this arises where you have a disgruntled fan that obviously has an agenda against your head coach it affects a lot of people, it affects your players. I asked my guys, and they weren’t quite sure what was going to take place or transpire…..but we’re all still here. You win some, you lose some. There are only three other programs in America that have won as many games as we have the past few years, we have the highest GPA in the history of our school. For the most part, our kids don’t get in trouble. Last week we had our Make A Wish kid who has leukemia – his whole goal in life was to be around NU football. He sat in coaches room, went through walk-through. Here is a kid that’s facing the game of life and our job is to coach players to help them be the best they can be, to wind a championship, that hasn’t changed.
Last week – for the first half, we dominated. At half time we came out, for whatever reason, the pressure to win, trying not to lose the game, instead of what we did in the first half, coaches have to ask themselves, why does that happen? It’s disappointing. Final score – you feel like we were totally outmanned athletically – but we weren’t. You see mistake after mistake in second half, you have to point your thumb at yourself, why are my guys not executing, not performing up to standards that they were in practice, in first half. The stress on these kids to win them all, to win a championship, it’s a lot. We have to make them feel like this game is fun, you have to play it that way. Change the environment a little bit, give kids Monday off. They have been working 7 days a week, they don’t have many days off, we have to recognize that. I saw some good energy this week. When they walk on the field Saturday, I think you will see a different vibe. They have a desire and passion to want to play hard for us and that is a great sign.
S Dakota St – very good team in 1AA ranks very highly. Don’t do a lot schematically defensively, they make you earn every yard. This will be a Super Bowl for them. The most they’ve played in front of so far this season is 9000-10,000, so playing in front of 91K will be big for them. When Bo hired me, I had a vision for what I wanted my room to be. First year wasn’t pretty – dropped 6 balls in first quarter alone in first game. As WR you get targeted enough, you are going to drop a ball, but you can’t let it affect you. NFL has catch to drop ratio chart that they use – Larry Fitzgerald is at a 94% rate, which is excelling. I am charting this for our players so they could understand how their performance ranks – Quincy, Jamal, Kenny – all are operating above 90%. I also want a physical group – well rounded, will block in the running game. Perimeter Warrior Award – I started naming blocks. After first year, Quincy won the award. Kenny says coach they are always running at Q’s side – so we had to add YAC (yards after catch) so that Kenny could be more competitive. Now have also added TDs as a metric. The guys in my room compete against each other every game, every drive – the first thing they do when they come off the field is let me know how many points they think they scored in the Award race. Good sign – they buy into the culture of my room. Very excited about that group, Alonzo Moore – you will see him this weekend – hurt his shoulder in camp, which hurt his reps recently. Jordan Westerkamp – finally seeing the field, made some big catches for us already. Big surprise – emergence of Quincy – 2nd in nation in TD receptions right now. Kenny very consistent. Sam Burtch – made the TD, I was really happy for him – I jumped on Bo’s back I was so excited, has put on 30 lbs since he’s been in our program. He told me that he could just retire now, he had achieved his goal! Tariq Allen – I coached him in high school – had a real bad knee injury vs Michigan last year – he is released to play but he is still working his way back – wants to be the player he was before, love his attitude.
Tape Review of UCLA game:
We wanted to get in empty set, let Taylor sit back and read the coverage. You can see defense with lots of gyrations – what that typically means is most teams have empty check. TD to Q – great route. Every time scouts come in and watch our tape – Q is a lot faster than we realize, they remind us of that. Great job selling the slant and getting defender to bite oni t.
Kenny – looks like we’re running a zone read play, trying to get 1on1 matchup with Kenny. Makes difficult catch. What I love about Kenny – he lowers his shoulders and delivers a blow – we always talk about finishing. We encourage contact, not just running out of bounds untouched.
Q’s leaping TD – super athletic play, he is really powerful, explosive individual, pretty impressive.
Gator – everybody will run to the left. We’ve been running this play for a few years. Run a postand off the post, you will break to the corner on it.
At end day, you point the thumb, not the finger. If my players play well, they should get the credit. If they don’t, I should take the blame. That’s how I coach, how I live life. Playing college athletics is not easy. We have some true freshmen playing on defense, a few months ago, they were taking Susie to the senior prom……..the future is really really bright. Some very good players out there developing.
SJB’s interception – I take all the credit for his play (former WR) – haha. He is playing well. Does a good job of baiting the QB. Very happy for him, had a need for him to go play defense – probably the best looking corner in America. 6’2” 220 lb corners are not common!!!
Every time QB walks to line of scrimmage – we teach them to look for some sort of stack or overload – defense is all about spacing. Usually an indication of some sort of blitz.
First half of game, defense played with a lot of passion at very high level. Need to find out what happened in 2nd half.
- Sunday we watch tape and then immediately get on to next opponent. We introduce the new sets to kids on Monday. Not a whole lot of info. Sunday and Monday nights are long nights for coaches. So having the whole day Monday to prepare for the opponent – we can work smarter and not harder, should really help us. Kids will be able to be a college student for a day. They will most likely trickle in themselves, but they will be doing it on their time.
- Three receivers have over 90% cat – we had crucial drop in Q3 that would have really helped us. Why wasn’t KB in the game – he needed a breather. Hard part is that you want your best players at the most critical moment, but as many plays as we run, KB and Q were playing more snaps than normal due to development with other players in our room. I’ve watch Tyler make that pay 30 times in camp. It affected him. He was pressing so hard to make a great play,.
- Best hit in Wisconsin game was made by KB – this year it would be a penalty. I’m not pulling the reins back in terms of our intensity. Just want them to be aware of the rule, I don’t even think the officials know how to interpret it sometimes. I respect the fact that they are trying to protect players. That hit by Kenny was exactly what he is coached to do. He made a clean block which got a lot of notoriety which ultimately helped lead to the new rule. Q has had some this in last few years that if you look at it, probably would get him thrown out of game now. It’s difficult.
- Who will be throwing at your receivers tomorrow – Tommy Armstrong or Ron Kellogg – both of those guys will play – not sure who is starting Both had a good week of practice.
- When did turf toe issue come up with Taylor? We got a report on Monday from our trainer. Not sure what the play was, something happened during course of game. He had some opportunities to run in the game that he didn’t take, so maybe he was hurting more than he was letting on. Taylor is a tough kid, battling through some stuff. We will get him healthy, now its an opportunity for somebody to step up. Don’t pray for an opportunity, pray you are ready when that opportunity comes. I have a lot of confidence in them both.
- Moore made a few catches in practice that Matt Davison couldn’t believe – he is a tremendous talent from Louisiana. When we were recruiting him, I felt he would be very tough to get. Played QB in high school. He is an SEC type of talent, had done very well in the classroom . Hurt his shoulder in fall camp, will have pain throughout the season. He has to earn it, but I have to get him out on the field. I have some packages for him to get on field this week. He has run by some people, made some plays in practice.
- Can you go over TE’s a bit? Cethan Carter – true freshman – pretty impressive. We found him in Louisiana. Until we offered him, he didn’t really have any big offers. Then he got some all of a sudden. He stuck with the school that really found him. Great kid, hard worker, physical guy, game happens really fast for him right now, tremendous ball skills, he can run. Sammy Cotton – works extremely hard, has had injury after injury – hamstring, then an ankle tweak. Had really emerged after spring ball as someone who could really help us. Long – very solid, consistent player.
- Punt returner this week – Westerkamp or Newby probably
- LB – you haven’t seen a whole lot of Zaire yet – its all about matchups. Have played a lot of nickel and dime so far. Think you will see a lot of him this week.
- What do SEC teams do to attract the type of talent they get? It’s the large pool of talent that they have in their areas. Volume of players, developed early, is huge. Commitment to sport is really great.
- Having fun – anything as coaches re adjustments that you did/didn’t make in second half? I read the statement that we got outcoached. What does that mean? If you watch our tape, we ran the same plays, same schemes, having success and execution in first half, and it didn’t happen in second half. Are we doing too much, are asking too much of you schematically, volume of what is in the game plan. Are we trying to do more than we’re being coached to do. One guy is not going to win or lose the game.
GO BIG RED, BEAT THOSE JACKRABBITS!!!!
Welcome Coach Riley! Go Big Red!!!
Great stuff. Thanks very much.
I'm not sure I like the WR's focus coming off the field to be who won the trophy but they know best I guess.
I took it to mean when they came off the field after the game.
Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer
I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.
The bold statement above bothers me a bit. I read it as him saying they had the same gameplan in the first half as the second half. So when UCLA adjusted, WE DIDNT on offense. It is on the coaches. Adjustments need to be made. Thats why the outcome was the way it was. The defense on the other hand did adjust when they didnt need to at that particular case in the game.... They were less aggressive.
Originally Posted by JHudson
What concerns me is our best players needing a breather at critical moments. They had ran all of about 15 plays in the 3rd quarter in several seperate series how does a 22yr old need a breather unless they are completely out of shape?
90% catch rate for all of 3 yards, I have a feeling this staff is tied up to much with statistics.
If the coaches don't know what happened then they need to find help.............spelled "Short Side Option" . He pretty well lays it out and this team is being out-coached and taken to school.