Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Red Breakfast Corn Flakes UCLA edition

Administrator

Big Red Breakfast Corn Flakes UCLA edition

Courtesy of Doug Law:

BIG RED BREAKFAST

CorNFlakes, 3rd Edition:
    NU versus UCLA (Bruins)
    (BLACKOUT!) -- a/k/a Black and Blue Saturday!
    09/13/2013 (Doug Law, filling in for Lisa Runco)

Recruiting Report – Sean Callahan
    Sean’s New Book -- "100 Things Nebraska Fans Should Know &Do Before They Die."
    *NU hosted 4 official visitors last week (several unofficial visitors) –

• Erik Brown - 4 star (California) receiver - committed to Washington
    • Quinton Flowers – (QB Florida)
    • QB Madre London (RB, Florida) – likely only need one RB in this class.
    • Joshua Kalu (DB, Texas) – huge position of need given current seniors in NU’s secondary; need 4-5 defensive backs in this class.

*Visits this weekend:
    Two visitors in town -- 4 star recruits

• Brandon Powell out of Florida .. top RB - currently committed to Miami
    • Ricky Walker - defensive tackle - top target

Coach – John Papuchis - Defensive Coordinator
    Coach’s Opening comments:
    I hope that you are as excited for tomorrow as I am. It's been a long time coming.
    We take one game at a time, but tomorrow's game is one we've had circled on our calendar for a long time. We have a big opportunity to set the tempo for the rest of the year.
    I have a lot of optimism for the season. We had a lot of evaluation to do over the past two weeks. As we watched game file over the past two weeks, we were hoping that we'd see things that we can fix. And that’s what we did find! But there is a difference between knowing what to fix and fixing it. We see the potential of a young defense of what it is capable of doing. Tomorrow will be a good test for our defense. I'm excited to see how we do.
    Interior Defense: Vincent Valentine is a big physical guy. Vincent is the kind of player that can clog up the middle. He's done some good things over the past two games.
    Maliek Collins has also showed flashes of superior play.
    Aaron Curry has shown improvement from game 1 to game 2. Thad Randle is working hard, working back though injuries that he had last season.
    Defensive End: At Defensive End, Randy Gregory is someone getting known better to Nebraska fans. He works really hard in practice and in games, goes to the end.
    The other Defensive ends are coming along. We have a young defensive front and we're at the tip of the iceberg for how these guys will develop.
    Linebackers: At the linebacker core, we have several different guys to evaluate. David Santos started the first game, last week Josh Banderas played a lot. We want to put out the best guys that give us the best chance to win. Josh approached the game like he approaches practice, goes out to play the game. In a tight game against Wyoming he played well. We trust him out there.
    I don't look at our youngest, true freshman players as true freshmen anymore. They are mature players for their age and time at college. The bottom line is that it doesn't matter if you're a freshman of a senior to the Coaches. If you meet expectations, then you'll play!
    Rose was not a true Nickel back, but he kept showing flashes of good play, and he did some nice things last week. Zaire Anderson was also out on the field. We hope to find more ways to get him out there more.
    There is depth at linebacker, and you won't see much change in rotation until someone establishes himself. We believe that we have a lot of options and can rotate and match up as needed.
    Secondary: As for the Husker secondary, Cory Cooper, Harvey Jackson, and Andrew Green are rotating at Safety. We're seeing good things from each of them.
    Josh Mitchell is quietly getting things done. The other corners are proving themselves on the field, and continue to improve.
    As Coaches, we continue to evaluate our player’s strengths and weaknesses. After two games, we feel better about what we have and understand better who can perform under the lights. Tomorrow will be a great test to see where we are at with this year's defensive team.
    Offense: You know what we have on offense. We have talent coming out of everywhere. All of the guys are proving themselves on the field. Actually, I don't see much of the offense during the game as we're preparing for changes to what we see.
    Kickers - there is still a battle for field goal. Mauro Bondi did a great job on kick offs. Punting is solid. Coach Bo will make the call on who kicks field goals and when.
    UCLA Preparation: With UCLA coming to town, we're looking for our ability to stop the run. In their 9 wins they average 274 ids passing … and running for 248 yards. But for the 5 games lost 235 years passing but only 148 yards running.
    UCLA’s Quarterback is explosive. We can't let him out of the pocket. Our outside safeties must be able to tackle on the perimeter. That's where we got beat last year.
    We had a good week of preparation. A good week of practice. We're only 24 hours away from game time, and I'm already getting excited to play the game.
    Alternate Uniforms (Blackout): Coach JP asks BRB Attendees: For those fans that don’t approve, why don't you like the Alternate Uniforms? Fan Response: “Tradition!”
    Coach Papuchis: Tradition is the most often reason given. However, our players are excited for the new alternate uniforms.
    Coach JP: How many of you going to the game plan on wearing black? BRB Response: Mixture of BRB hands are raised!
    BRB Attendee Questions:

1. Why is Avery Moss covering players on a pass play?

Response: Sometimes we bring 6 and we need someone to cover the back that releases. As he goes toward the end … then he may need to cover.

1. Looking back at last year's UCLA game, have you decided to scrap the game plan?

Response: I'm stubborn but not stupid when it comes to that! HaHaHa … you don't scrap all of the game plan. There are some things that we would not do again. But we break down what is an error by a player as to execution, and what was just not a good design for our scheme. That's a big piece of the evaluation.

1. Do you think that the role of David Santos (LB) is changing?

Response: He didn't play as much last week. We must find a rolled for him to get on the field. Coach Bo is an equal opportunity guy. If you have a good week of practice then you will get on the field.

1. Are we getting closer to seeing Jared Afalava (LB) on the field?

Response: I hope so! I can't talk about injuries, but he is getting closer to where he was earlier this summer.

1. How about punt receiving?

Response: At times, we may start to use two backs to receive punts. We need to get better at punt returns. However, one problem is that too many punts by opposing teams have been at mid field, and we've had to leave our main defense out there instead of the number 1 punt team so that we’re prepared in case they run a fake.

1. How close to making a decision on redshirting Courtney Love (LB)?

Response: Courtney Love has not played yet this year, but we'll know for sure in a couple of games. We won't waste anybody's year without significant playing time and contribution.

1. What is your motivation? Coach JP: (Seeks Clarification) For why I coach?

Response: I feel blessed to be part of tradition. I enjoy making a difference in the development of the players on our team.

1. Did you play college football?

Response: No. I played college baseball. But then I got hurt! I hurt my elbow. I used to joke that my elbow pain turned into a pain in the neck. That is, after I'd pitch the ball, I’d then turn my head too fast to watch them hit it over the fence. HaHaHa! I wanted to continue to play baseball, but realized that my future in baseball was limited. When I saw an opportunity to get into coaching, I pursued that opportunity.

1. We're in an era of offense …do you see that changing?

Response: No. Fans enjoy the game today. Average plays per game is going up. That part is different. The rules have changes to advantage of more offense too.

1. After two weeks of football, do you see anything in the defensive player calls to warrant any shift in how we tackle?

Response: We use them as teachable moments. For example, on the kickoff last week where we were flagged, I asked the referee at half time about what we did wrong. He said our player had his head down. Not that we got too close to the other player's head. Rather that our player did not keep his head up on the hit. We remind our team that they have to see who and where they are when making tackles.

1. As a coach - how is your ongoing relationship with Coach Pelini – when it comes to game planning?

Response: We talk a lot about philosophy. He'll always be part of the defense. As long as he's here … or wherever he's at in the future, he'll work hand in hand with the Defensive Coordinator to prepare the defense.
    Last Question: Can you walk us through 11 am game day?
    Response: I enjoy early starts. Team meal at 7 am. Careful about how much we eat. Pasta, eggs, no waffles or pancakes. Get on busses at 8 to 8:30 and into our game preparation from there. I don't sleep well the night before.
    Closing Comment: I appreciate the opportunity to be here twice in two weeks. I'll be back once more in November.
    Enjoy the weekend! Go Big Red!

GO BIG RED!!!! BLACKOUT!

"I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus

Red Shirt
    Love the summary, thanks!
    “It was almost like being the president.” - Jack Hoffman, in the White House.

Heisman
    It almost seems as though the University wants everyone in black. If they do, they should have put something official out.
    Good friends, you take to the movies. Great teammates, you take to battle.
    Mr. Afro Thunder 80

Quote Originally Posted by USMC_BugEater View Post
    It almost seems as though the University wants everyone in black. If they do, they should have put something official out.
    The Lord himself could tell me to wear black and I still wouldn't. Red is the color. It will be interesting to see what UCLA offense does. Do they do the same thing that kicked our butt last year or something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by joncarl View Post
    The Lord himself could tell me to wear black and I still wouldn't. Red is the color. It will be interesting to see what UCLA offense does. Do they do the same thing that kicked our butt last year or something completely different.
    Good question. I would guess a combination of the two.

I agree. Taylor has posted it on twitter twice the past 2 days. Joe Ganz once. Johnny Stanton and Tommy Armstrong have been for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by joncarl View Post
    I watched their first game.

On offense they will do the exact same thing they did last year but faster as their "newbies" have a year under their belt. On defense they didn't have the best day vs us and this year they are more wet behind the ears so that tells me this game will be high scoring. Winner will be which youngsters on defense can create some key stops late in the game. Expect to be entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by blackshirts99 View Post
    I agree. Taylor has posted it on twitter twice the past 2 days. Joe Ganz once. Johnny Stanton and Tommy Armstrong have been for weeks.
    I'll go ahead and do it. Normally I wear a "blackshirt" t-shirt under my Ahman Green jersey, I'll just showcase the tshirt a few times in the first half to show support of the players who really want to see if we will support them in that manner.

Varsity
    Love the BRB updates!

I think the only black husker shirt i have is a combined Husker/Hawkeye long sleeve from a couple of years ago.

Scout Team
    Arlington, TX ... home of the Arlington Cowboys and Jerry's World!!
    Always my favorite thread during the season. Thanks!
    12/02/07

7/1/11

"To love another person is to see the face of God" Victor Hugo

Scout Team
    While I think a blackout is a horrible idea (I would just go black in the student section), if they want it done it has to be communicated or it flops big time. Ole Miss prints the color of a particular game on the game tickets. The first game of the year is the white game. The ladies of Oxford show well for all games, the white game is a little distracting to say the least.

Husker Immortal
    Great read. Thank you so much for this thread.

Recruit
    Thank you for doing this. I appreciate the awesome recap, especially since I couldn't go!
    Somebody once told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared.
    -- Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacHusker View Post
    The ladies of Oxford show well for all games, the white game is a little distracting to say the least.
    I'd pray for rain.

Blackshirt
    Hmmm...Papuchis made some very scary comments, raises the level of my already serious concerns about the game.

tomorrow's game is one we've had circled on our calendar for a long time.
    there is a difference between knowing what to fix and fixing it.
    His comments about the defensive progress, especially about individuals, sure doesn't sound encouraging. Hopefully, the players will show him more tomorrow.