Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zack Darlington injured

Administrator

Zack Darlington injured

Zack Darlington, Nebraska’s quarterback commit for the 2014 recruiting class, left the field Saturday on a stretcher and was loaded onto to a helicopter after hitting his head on the turf in the fourth quarter of his first game as a senior.
    OWH article
    "I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus

Prayers and thoughts and with Zack and his family.

Administrator

Here's an update from the Orlando Sentinel.
    "I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus

All Big 10
    Great he's moving. Hope he's ok.

Red Shirt

Hope he is back on his feet quickly. Best wishes to him and his family.

Sounds like his second concussion? Not good.

Red Shirt

Better start shopping around 2 concussions not good.

Junior Varsity
    I watched quite a bit of the game. His O-line opened holes at times, but didn't do him a lot of favors when he dropped back. I'm with ksu - not really optimistic about next year.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Scout Team
    This appears to be sever, he needs to start thinking about his future. Scary stuff, I saw the first play when he got hit in the head and he was loopy, I didn't see the second one that sent him to the hospital but I'm not sure he should have came back into the game after the first lick. I hope he recovers soon...

Cake or Death?
    Quote Originally Posted by HuttoHusker View Post
    This appears to be sever, he needs to start thinking about his future. Scary stuff, I saw the first play when he got hit in the head and he was loopy, I didn't see the second one that sent him to the hospital but I'm not sure he should have came back into the game after the first lick. I hope he recovers soon...
    I didn't see the first one, but did see the second one. The second one didn't seem all that bad to be honest. I was actually pretty surprised to see him stay down. Not saying he wasn't injured, because he obviously was. Just saying that if I had only seen the hit it wouldn't have occurred to me that he may be injured.

The concussions are a concern IMO, I'm wondering if NU needs to start thinking about a plan B just in case.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    I didn't see the first one, but did see the second one. The second one didn't seem all that bad to be honest. I was actually pretty surprised to see him stay down. Not saying he wasn't injured, because he obviously was. Just saying that if I had only seen the hit it wouldn't have occurred to me that he may be injured.

The concussions are a concern IMO, I'm wondering if NU needs to start thinking about a plan B just in case.
    I know they will stick by the kid but, yes they need to find a backup plan. IMO

Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post

I don't know. Watch the tackler, he got full extension of his body and unloaded on Darlington.
    Good friends, you take to the movies. Great teammates, you take to battle.
    Mr. Afro Thunder 80

Cake or Death?
    Quote Originally Posted by HuttoHusker View Post
    I know they will stick by the kid but, yes they need to find a backup plan. IMO
    Have no problem with sticking by him, but they need to be thinking about the possibility he doesn't play. I do have some concerns about his durability, especially in NU's offense, but maybe this was just a fluke game. As MyBraska said, the line did him NO favors. Even on handoffs it looked like he barely beat the defense.

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Cake or Death?
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC_BugEater View Post
    I don't know. Watch the tackler, he got full extension of his body and unloaded on Darlington.
    The biggest problem, IMO, was Darlington let up and then lowered his head. Still didn't look that bad though. JMO, feel free to disagree, I've seen guys get up from stuff that looked a lot worse than that.

Travel Squad
    Even if the kid can't play NU needs to stand by their scholarship offer. It would be the classiest thing they could do and, as such, I wouldn't be surprised if Pelini does just that.

Such a gesture would also be a boon for recruiting, but that isn't the motivation.

Two concussions -- if that is truly (big if) how many there have been -- would not end a career. The young man needs to see the best neurosurgeon Florida has and take his sweet time getting back into contact drills.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Even if the kid can't play NU needs to stand by their scholarship offer. It would be the classiest thing they could do and, as such, I wouldn't be surprised if Pelini does just that.

Such a gesture would also be a boon for recruiting, but that isn't the motivation.

Two concussions -- if that is truly (big if) how many there have been -- would not end a career. The young man needs to see the best neurosurgeon Florida has and take his sweet time getting back into contact drills.
    Not sure how "the best neurosurgeon" is going to help......but hey why not ????

Sweet time, like in next year?

There was just a article published on high school concussions and how the if school administrators rush the kids back to the classroom too early, there is delayed healing. The research suggests that the mental "strain" of studying etc. causes harm to the healing brain, and suggests a much longer wait before returning to the CLASSROOM, let alone play sports.
    "RESPECT THE GAME" Ameer Abdullah post game comments 9/6/2014