Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Is orthodontia a scam? Advice needed

  1. #1

    Is orthodontia a scam? Advice needed

    My 10 year old daughter got top braces at age 8 to the tune of $2500 cash. We were told "she will need braces a year to a year-and-a-half." We might not even need bottom braces, but if we do, it will be another $2500. Uh huh.

    Two years later, we still have braces. But now, we've moved to a "Phase II", and this will require the addition of bottom braces. "Nothing will come off for at least 3 years." Total cost for Phase II? Another $4200.

    So now we are looking at the very real possibility of braces for most of her childhood, and spending near $10,000 on straightening her teeth.

    The business office manager presented me the proposal today, and I flat out told him, "I dunno...this isn't quite working out as we were explained in the beginning..." I told him I would need to seek a second, if not third opinion, given both the cost and the duration of the treatment.

    Any advice from those that have been there, done that?
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

  2. #2
    Heisman
    SamBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Mayor of Frogsuck, Wyoming
    Posts
    37,608
    sounds suspicious to me....you're solid on seeking additional opinions
    ​le veau d'or










  3. #3
    Well, I hope they aren't doing this on her baby teeth...? If this is on her permanent teeth, then it is probably worth it to have a nice smile, and for ease of cleaning/maintenance. Of course, I just watched the snippet of "Carrie" (2002) where they dumped the pig's blood on the weirdo, so take it for what you will.

  4. #4
    another question...do I seek another opinion from another orthodontist, or is that akin to asking the fox to watch the hen house?
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

  5. #5
    Ayyy!
    huskrthill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Posts
    40,127
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTexasHusker View Post
    My 10 year old daughter got top braces at age 8 to the tune of $2500 cash. We were told "she will need braces a year to a year-and-a-half." We might not even need bottom braces, but if we do, it will be another $2500. Uh huh.

    Two years later, we still have braces. But now, we've moved to a "Phase II", and this will require the addition of bottom braces. "Nothing will come off for at least 3 years." Total cost for Phase II? Another $4200.

    So now we are looking at the very real possibility of braces for most of her childhood, and spending near $10,000 on straightening her teeth.

    The business office manager presented me the proposal today, and I flat out told him, "I dunno...this isn't quite working out as we were explained in the beginning..." I told him I would need to seek a second, if not third opinion, given both the cost and the duration of the treatment.

    Any advice from those that have been there, done that?
    I will be doing some shopping for orthodontists in the relatively near future. My daughter is definitely going to need braces. I hope her permanent teeth all come in quickly... the sooner the better for this poor girl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  6. #6
    All Big 10
    huskernut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Louisville, CO
    Posts
    18,321
    Orthodontics if needed is not a scam. Changes to the plan can happen but it's uncommon to have to significantly change the expected duration. If it is going from 1 to 1.5 to 5 years on top, something is wrong somewhere, I would think.

    I would start by getting the docs clear explanation why such a big change is needed. Then get a second opinion. Maybe even think about going to a neighboring city so they feel more comfortable being straight instead of extending "professional courtesy".

  7. #7
    Scout Team
    HZKRFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lincoln, NE: Husker Ground Zero!
    Posts
    4,352
    My 14 year old and I both have braces.... Roughly 4k each....correcting our bite. I have noticed a huge difference in 18 months....almost done and my teeth feel and look better than ever. Our ortho is saying all my boys (3 total) and I all could use corrective braces to straighten out our bite. Would not consider braces for any of them until most baby teeth gone...my son got his when he was 13. Will have a permanent retainer behind bottom front teeth to keep things in line. Insurance has covered most of this for both of us.

    Not sure what your daughters teeth situation is, but it sounds like a lot of $ for such a young age. A second opinion might be good. Have your dentist or other friends with brace experience point you to someone...my guess is an evaluation would be free.

  8. #8
    Guest

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,545
    Good thing you're wealthy. In the internet age it should be relatively easy to find an orthodontist who comes with recommendations, as well as those who come with negative reviews. We chose ours because he was rated the top orthodontist in Denver by multiple sources, that made it pretty easy. 10 year old will get hers off in November, roughly a year after she got them on.

  9. #9
    It's like anything...some people are very scam driven, some are not. We were told our daughter would need braces once she lost her last few baby teeth, and they were on the hard sell. All her baby teeth are gone, and her teeth are perfect. Glad we didn't listen.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    Good thing you're wealthy. In the internet age it should be relatively easy to find an orthodontist who comes with recommendations, as well as those who come with negative reviews. We chose ours because he was rated the top orthodontist in Denver by multiple sources, that made it pretty easy. 10 year old will get hers off in November, roughly a year after she got them on.
    Bernie Madoff had great reviews, too.
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

  11. #11
    Guest

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,545
    Quote Originally Posted by WestTexasHusker View Post
    Bernie Madoff had great reviews, too.
    That is zippier than your original response, nicely done. The world can be a difficult place to navigate some days, even in the seemingly innocuous field of orthodontia. I will say that unless they sat you down initially, diagramed the variety of problems your kid's teeth had, and told you how much it was all gonna cost, it does sound like you are getting ripped off. Take whatever documentation you have on what they've done, go find someone that, like Bernie, is getting lots of positive feedback (I assume whatever corner of TX you're in has something like what we have here, 5280 Magazine, a local publication covering goods, services and entertainment in your region, maybe start there) and get an appointment. Hell, if you're feeling feisty maybe you can get a lawyer after that. At the very least, public shaming campaigns on the internet are very real threats to businesses these days, you could always go that route too.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Showman View Post
    That is zippier than your original response, nicely done.
    I get it! "Zippier" because he thinks you aren't terribly bright. Subtle, and very, very funny! LOL!

  13. #13
    Akron Zippers
    "Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear. Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair. So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't Fuzzy, Wuzzy?"

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by HZKRFAN View Post
    My 14 year old and I both have braces.... Roughly 4k each....correcting our bite. I have noticed a huge difference in 18 months....almost done and my teeth feel and look better than ever. Our ortho is saying all my boys (3 total) and I all could use corrective braces to straighten out our bite. Would not consider braces for any of them until most baby teeth gone...my son got his when he was 13. Will have a permanent retainer behind bottom front teeth to keep things in line. Insurance has covered most of this for both of us.

    Not sure what your daughters teeth situation is, but it sounds like a lot of $ for such a young age. A second opinion might be good. Have your dentist or other friends with brace experience point you to someone...my guess is an evaluation would be free.


    Could not resist...

  15. #15
    Guest

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    19,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    I get it! "Zippier" because he thinks you aren't terribly bright. Subtle, and very, very funny! LOL!
    Quite to the contrary, West Texas Husker strikes me as an intelligent fellow. Hopefully he wasn't an Akron Zip back when I saw Scott Frost and Co. dismantle them in Lincoln, it was a bloodbath.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •