Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Kenny Bell Rule

God I admire you.

The Kenny Bell Rule

http://www.cornnation.com/2013/6/12/...in-defenseless

That article included an analysis about what the NCAA defines as "defenseless players", an important facet of the rules because "defenseless players" should be protected as hits in those specific conditions should be considered areas in which players could receive severe injuries, the obvious reason being that they cannot protect themselves in those situations.

The defenseless player definitions are included in the NCAA rule book under section 2-27-14. However, a rule change has been implemented this season to include the following amongst the "defenseless player" definitions:

2-27-14g - "a player who receives a blind-side block".
    Kenny Bell's excellent, textbook block has been made illegal and can result in an automatic ejection.
    "Just because somebody's a talented guy or he's right for a lot of people
    doesn't mean he's right for us here at Nebraska." -Bo Pelini, 2/3/10

Recruit
    Wow! So a defender two yards from the ball carrier gets blocked, and that could lead to an ejection. Amazing
    Does anyone remember the block on Martin during the UG game? The receiver came in motion and tried to layout EM right at the snap. Would that fall into this "blind-side" category? Seems like they are opening a can of worms here.

Has anyone ever pointed out a block in a similar circumstance that -doesn't- look this violent ? It looks like a clean (if hard) hit to me, but I'm willing to listen to people who say "He could have done it differently" if they can show -how- he could have done it differently.

I mean, the defender is chasing the ball carrier at top speed. The blocker (Bell) wants to come in and make the block as quickly and surely as possible, and is coming -at- the defender at high speed. The relative velocity between the two people (defender and blocker) is going to be the same no matter what the blocking technique is; assuming the blocker isn't targeting the helmet, how the heck do you block "safer" ?

Husker Immortal
    This is a bad rule and subject to interpretation that can eject a player for a good play. It changes the nature of the game. I'm not for people getting hurt, but football is meant to be fast and aggressive and letting up can often lead to getting hurt.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Husker Immortal
    Idaho St last year had eleven "defenseless" players every time they were on the field.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Recruit
    The more I watch this replay, the more upset I get about the call. The player in this case was not "defenseless". He just had tunnel vision. He was so focused on chasing the ball carrier, he had no idea what else was going on around him. As Ron White says... "you can't prevent stupid". Don't punish the hitter for the poor performance of the "hittee".
    The Last Knot-Holer

pray for me ;)
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Recruit

Well I cannot say anything but there is not a single player in football that is not aware of the possibility of being hit hard. I personally do not see a difference in the result of the hit Kenny Bell delivered and the hit that Jadaevon (sp?) Clowney laid on the Michigan running back in the bowl game. I really think that the game of football as we know it is being changed because of dollars and not because of sense. I could be wrong but I have never heard of, or read about, an NFL player complaining about the insanely large amount of money he makes while he is playing or that it is dangerous to have a pulling guard catch a DE off-guard. So when is it going to be a penalty for a running back to get a running start, LOWER HIS HEAD, and hit a stationary defender? Maybe I am just bitter at this whole concept.
    I'm Not Loud; I Just Want To Be Heard!!

What a crock!

Junior Varsity
    Maybe each defender needs to issued a lawyer to accompany him down the field. What happened to Kenny was bogus.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFA View Post
    ...So when is it going to be a penalty for a running back to get a running start, LOWER HIS HEAD, and hit a stationary defender? Maybe I am just bitter at this whole concept.
    Actually, I think they did pass a rule to that effect in the NFL for this upcoming season. Many call it the "Trent Richardson rule."

The "Kenny Bell rule" is utter lunacy. The defender could have made a play on the ball. What this rule is basically saying is that in this particular circumstance, Bell should have simply chose not to block him, because there is no way that he could have done so legally. This is beyond ridiculous. If they continue going down this road, they will lose fans. I love watching NU, but if they continue to change the game of football then I will begin to lose interest.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    Maybe each defender needs to issued a lawyer to accompany him down the field. What happened to Kenny was bogus.
    That, or the blocker has to activate a "beep, beep, beep" siren like a truck backing up every time he's about to make a big hit?

How 'bout a rule that all tacklers should keep on watch for blockers?
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Red Shirt
    Kenny Bell's hit was neither on a defenseless player or above the shoulders.
    I am in my own little world but it's okay they know me here.

Recruit

Sometimes I question if this is really in an effort to limit injuries. The new thrill is a high scoring offense (i.e. Oregon, Texas Tech w/Leach)and hope the defense can make a couple stops. If rules like this continue to pop up it won't be long before football scores resemble basketball scores. Gone are the days of a good ole defensive slobber-knocker.
    I'm Not Loud; I Just Want To Be Heard!!

#1 Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Idaho St last year had eleven "defenseless" players every time they were on the field.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

Scout Team
    pathetic. Its football. The sport involved hitting and getting hit. What a great block, and now its going to be an ejection??

Again--pathetic.

Red Shirt
    How are players expected to block in this instance? My understanding is that you can't block below the waist in a scenario like this as you would likely injure the defender.

It seems like the only options are to perform a weak/ineffective block or get a holding penalty called against you.

Cake or Death?
    Terrible, terrible rule. I honestly don't understand how ANYONE could watch that block and think it wasn't legal. Violent, most definitely! The block was below the shoulders, in front of the player, and on a guy who was chasing the ball carrier. All for the game being safe and trying to limit injuries, but at some point you just have to come to terms with the fact that this is a violent game and will cause injuries. It's in the very nature of the game.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

Rollin' Huskers
    Wherever our RV is parked - currently Lincoln Nebraska
    I say we break out the flags.....bet we can even get them in team colors
    1368.jpg
    GBR
    Badger by birth - Husker by choice !!!

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedFA View Post
    Sometimes I question if this is really in an effort to limit injuries. The new thrill is a high scoring offense (i.e. Oregon, Texas Tech w/Leach)and hope the defense can make a couple stops. If rules like this continue to pop up it won't be long before football scores resemble basketball scores. Gone are the days of a good ole defensive slobber-knocker.
    I think you may be on to something here. High-powered offense puts butts in stadium seats, but it takes a certain type of fan (me) to relish defensive efforts. Certainly the NBA has gone this route. And if they can dress up the agenda as "limiting injuries" - they've clobbered two birdies with one rock.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red