Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. coach Melton

Red Shirt

R.I.P. coach Melton

@HuskerExtraSip: Very difficult news for #Huskers family. RIP, longtime assistant John Melton. He was 86. Came to NU with Bob Devaney. Story coming.

Red Shirt
    @HuskerExtraSip: #Huskers great Jerry Murtaugh, on death of John Melton: "He always stuck with me. He wasn't just my coach. He was my friend for 45 years."

Red Shirt

Red Shirt
    Now the article http://bit.ly/11A3haO

Husker Immortal
    That's rough. A good coach and a better man.
    “I don't know if I'm ever really happy. I always know that there's that much more out there for us.” -- Bo Pelini
    "I must be an awful coach that we can't get a quarterback-center exchange." -- Tim Beck

#1 Husker Fan
    Thanks for sharing. This saddens me.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

All American

R.I.P. coach Melton

Prayers for coach Melton's family. Comfort knowing any suffering is over, and he's in a better place.

Absolutely LOVED Coach Melton on NETV's Tuesday night wrap-up show. He was a straight shooter.
    I'm skeptical of BP. I think he has plateaued.

Hire a proven HC, OC, and DC. No on the job training.

For such a tough-nosed head coach, BP cannot coach it into his players.

Blackshirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    Prayers for coach Melton's family. Comfort knowing any suffering is over, and he's in a better place.

Absolutely LOVED Coach Melton on NETV's Tuesday night wrap-up show. He was a straight shooter.

HCD I remember that show like it was yesterday. Good coach & a very funny man. 1st time I heard the phrase " a biscuit shy of 300 lbs" was from coach Melton. He will be missed. RIP Coach!

He was always a favorite of mine. I place him in my top five of favorite Husker coaches. Smart, funny, loyal and as said, a good man. If there is a gridiron in heaven, he'd be on the sidelines fixing something.

May God rest his soul and comfort his family....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Heisman
    One of the great legacies of the Huskers. He will be missed.
    Greatness is made in empty stadiums, but it’s revealed in full stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by RussianRed View Post
    [/B]HCD I remember that show like it was yesterday. Good coach & a very funny man. 1st time I heard the phrase " a biscuit shy of 300 lbs" was from coach Melton. He will be missed. RIP Coach!
    I talked to Coach Melton about the show.
    One lady frequently wrote in and asked John if he wore a hair piece, "...if I did, you'd think I could find a better looking one than this...

Here's Part 1 of the 1981 Nebraska-Colorado game. 1981 was the 1st season John Melton hosted the show

Free Agent
    Sad, sad news. Great coach. Thoughts to his family and former players.

Administrator

I only had the opportunity to meet Coach Melton one time at the 1970 team 40 year reunion in September of 2010. I introduced myself as a friend of Jerry Murtaugh and he said he felt sorry for me. He had a special relationship with Jerry who always made Coach Melton's life miserable when he was a player and they were life long friends. Here is a picture from that evening of Coach Melton with Johnny Rodgers.

"I'm a firm believer in the theory that people only do their best at things they truly enjoy. It is difficult to excel at something you don't enjoy." – Jack Nicklaus