Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: 32 Team Husker Madness Tournament

  1. #1
    Guest

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    1,247

    32 Team Husker Madness Tournament

    I thought I would adapt my NCAA tournament model to run a simulated 32-team tournament with the Husker teams of the last three decades.

    What I'd like some help with is initial seeding of the 32 teams. The years to be seeded are 1981-2012. I've started the list with an obvious #1.

    Please take a minute to download the zipped spreadsheet and seed the teams for the tournament. When you're done mail it to me at paul@huskermath.com.
    Or if you'd like, just fill in the blanks here.

    1 1995
    8
    1
    8
    1
    8
    1
    8
    4
    5
    4
    5
    4
    5
    4
    5
    3
    6
    3
    6
    3
    6
    3
    6
    2
    7
    2
    7
    2
    7
    2
    7


    Attachment 4812
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2
    pray for me ;)
    ColoREDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Denver 'burbs
    Posts
    42,545
    1995 is far and away the best ever. Is this a battle for 2nd place?
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

  3. #3
    Guest

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    Posts
    4,108
    1981-present?

    Pretty sure the Final Four will include the 3 NT teams from that era (94. 95. 97) and the last spot would likely be one of the two teams who lost a title to Miami (84, 01)

  4. #4
    Guest

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckTownHusker View Post
    1981-present?

    Pretty sure the Final Four will include the 3 NT teams from that era (94. 95. 97) and the last spot would likely be one of the two teams who lost a title to Miami (84, 01)
    Id make a case for the 1982 team being in the final 4, I think that team was actually better than 83 and would've been undefeated save for Penn State's abnormally shaped field. Still think this team should have been #1 at the end of this season. Penn State eventual #1 lost to 7-4 Alabama 42-21 and SMU #2 needed a horrendous PI call to tie Arkansas that year!

  5. #5
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    63,384
    Quote Originally Posted by hskerpwr View Post
    Id make a case for the 1982 team being in the final 4, I think that team was actually better than 83 and would've been undefeated save for Penn State's abnormally shaped field. Still think this team should have been #1 at the end of this season. Penn State eventual #1 lost to 7-4 Alabama 42-21 and SMU #2 needed a horrendous PI call to tie Arkansas that year!

    Good call on the 82 team though I would say the 83 HUSKERS deserve to be in the final four.

  6. #6
    Guest

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    1,247

    32 Team Husker Madness Tournament

    Maybe, maybe not. I've only had one response to seed the teams.

    When I get that done I can run the tournament simulation.

    I have a mathematical way of seeding them, but I'd prefer to crowd source that part n

  7. #7
    All American
    Husker Country Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    25,724

    32 Team Husker Madness Tournament

    NU 2001 was a paper tiger.
    Go Big Red!

  8. #8
    Starter
    wcbsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    12,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I've only had one response to seed the teams.
    That was ME!
    The life you lead is the life you teach!

  9. #9
    Guest

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    1,247
    And I appreciate it.

  10. #10
    Guest

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    689
    Just sent you mine

  11. #11
    Red Shirt
    RedRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    2,736
    Rank Season
    1 1995
    8 2007
    1 1983
    8 2004
    1 1994
    8 2001
    1 1997
    8 2006
    4 2000
    5 1998
    4 1988
    5 1992
    4 1981
    5 2009
    4 1989
    5 1985
    3 1984
    6 2012
    3 1986
    6 2003
    3 1996
    6 1990
    3 2001
    6 1991
    2 1999
    7 2005
    2 1982
    7 2008
    2 1993
    7 2010
    7 2011
    2 1987

  12. #12
    pray for me ;)
    ColoREDo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Denver 'burbs
    Posts
    42,545
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    Rank Season
    1 1995
    8 2007
    1 1983
    8 2004
    1 1994
    8 2001
    1 1997
    8 2006
    4 2000
    5 1998
    4 1988
    5 1992
    4 1981
    5 2009
    4 1989
    5 1985
    3 1984
    6 2012
    3 1986
    6 2003
    3 1996
    6 1990
    3 2001
    6 1991
    2 1999
    7 2005
    2 1982
    7 2008
    2 1993
    7 2010
    7 2011
    2 1987
    I am assuming that it should be 2002 as an 8 seed and not 2001.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

  13. #13
    Red Shirt
    RedRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    2,736
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    I am assuming that it should be 2002 as an 8 seed and not 2001.
    correct

  14. #14
    Guest

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    1,247

  15. #15
    Guest

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by Queso View Post
    93
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2009 and 2010 #2 seeds?????????????? 1982 a 6 seed???????????? 93 a 5 seed, they came within a missed FG of a MNC??

    Who is voting here??

  16. #16
    Guest

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by hskerpwr View Post
    93
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2009 and 2010 #2 seeds?????????????? 1982 a 6 seed???????????? 93 a 5 seed, they came within a missed FG of a MNC??

    Who is voting here??
    Whoops. My links got messed up somewhere. 2010 and 1982 were switched. I've bowed to the outcries and made 1994 a #1 seed against my better judgement. 1993 is now a #2 seed.

    huskermadnessfixed.jpg

    The seeds, and the computed probabilities of win, are based on scoring offense and scoring defense. Some teams had pretty decent statistics and didn't have the WL% to match. Other teams had a great WL% but not the statistics.

  17. #17
    Red Shirt
    RedRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    2,736
    My thoughts on over/under rated. Do you hate Crouch?

    1999 is underrated at #4 and I would place as the 5th best team overall. Finished 12-1 and ranked #3 and would have played for a national championship if not for the miracle Colorado comeback that made a blow-out close. Only loss was to Texas when we fumbled away the game and then avenged it later in dominating fashion. We were better than Va Tech who got the nod over us.

    2001 had the ugly loss to Colorado and Miami, but also was a team that beat the defending national champions. A team that played for a national title deserves more than a #6.

    1981 was also 1 win from a NC and lost by only 7 points in the game against Clemson. More deserving than a #6.

    Overrated
    2009 as a #2? They beat ZERO top 20 teams. They lost to Iowa State 9-7. They lost to an un-ranked Texas Tech by 21 points.

  18. #18
    Guest

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRum View Post
    My thoughts on over/under rated. Do you hate Crouch?

    1999 is underrated at #4 and I would place as the 5th best team overall. Finished 12-1 and ranked #3 and would have played for a national championship if not for the miracle Colorado comeback that made a blow-out close. Only loss was to Texas when we fumbled away the game and then avenged it later in dominating fashion. We were better than Va Tech who got the nod over us.

    2001 had the ugly loss to Colorado and Miami, but also was a team that beat the defending national champions. A team that played for a national title deserves more than a #6.

    1981 was also 1 win from a NC and lost by only 7 points in the game against Clemson. More deserving than a #6.

    1996.......how these guys are a 3 seed I'll never know,

    Overrated
    2009 as a #2? They beat ZERO top 20 teams. They lost to Iowa State 9-7. They lost to an un-ranked Texas Tech by 21 points.
    My Thoughts

    OVERRATED:
    2009...............in reality probably no better than a 5 seed here.....they still lost 4 games.......and they really couldn't stop the run that well, fortunately, in the BIG12 they didnt have to!!

    2006............any Callahan team rated high than a 7seed is a travesty.......these guys still lost 5 games..a 4 seed, no way!

    2000........I dont think 01 was that great and I certainly dont think this bunch is a 3 seed, probably a 5-6

    1990........worst team Osborne coached for my money probably not much worse than a 5 here tho

    1996.......how these guys are a 3 seed I'll never know

    UNDERRATED:

    2001.........not as good as we thought at the time but still a 3-4 seed not a 6

    1999.............a solid 2 seed for my money but definitely no worse than a 3 seed

    1981...........very solid team once Turner Gill took over

  19. #19
    Guest

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    1,247
    I've moved discussion of this over to CornNation.com.

    http://www.cornnation.com/2013/5/6/4...-football-team

    There's discussion of the seeds, win probabilities, and how bad 2007 was was.

  20. #20
    Guest

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    1,247
    This is mostly an exercise in statistics. Seeds and the win probabilities are a function of how two teams match up (scoring offense to scoring defense). Some of the teams from the mid-late 2000s had pretty good statistics but didn't have the win totals to match. Is that a coaching problem? Maybe. It's also a reflection of the Big12 and style of play versus the old Big8.

    Regardless, the usual suspects (1995, 1983, 1997, etc) are still dominant, at least in the first round. They had the on-field statistical bona fides to back up their claims to #1. 1994 wasn't as impressive statistically but that team probably had more heart than any other Husker team. And you can't model that.

    I was surprised at where 2001 ended up. Still, the model results from the first indicate that the seed was pretty close.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •