Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pelini 7th in BIG ??

Red Shirt

Pelini 7th in BIG ??

After reading the article on the front page from Athlon concerning head coaching ranks, I have lost a bit of respect for the magazine. Not saying he should be number 1, but...........

I am sure it has been posted and....................., so perhaps I missed it, but where would we rank the BIG coaches.
    IT IS NOT THE WILL TO WIN THAT MATERS - EVERYONE HAS THAT. IT IS THE WILL TO PREPARE TO WIN THAT MATTERS. GO BIG RED!!!!

Bo is only the 7th best coach in the B1G according to Athlon

In my opinion he should be ranked 5th ahead of Mark D'Antonio and Gary Andersen, and maybe 4th if Bill O'Brien proves to be a one season wonder (which I don't anticipate). One of their reasons for ranking him so low is because he's had blowups with a few players on national TV...really? Seriously? Who cares? Coaching is an emotional profession; guess they didn't see Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey tearing off her jacket to protest a call or Jim Harbaugh throwing his headset and clipboard on the biggest stage of all. More here:

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-...l-coaches-2013

#1 Husker Fan
    I would think that until he starts winning the big games, this is a good and fair assessment.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Big "D"zasker View Post
    In my opinion he should be ranked 5th ahead of Mark D'Antonio and Gary Andersen, and maybe 4th if Bill O'Brien proves to be a one season wonder (which I don't anticipate). One of their reasons for ranking him so low is because he's had blowups with a few players on national TV...really? Seriously? Who cares? Coaching is an emotional profession; guess they didn't see Baylor women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey tearing off her jacket to protest a call or Jim Harbaugh throwing his headset and clipboard on the biggest stage of all. More here:

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-...l-coaches-2013
    The CCG debacle (and other blowouts) have done serious damage to his reputation nationally. To be honest, its very deserving due to the lack of adjustments and the repeated blunders of the past 2-3 seasons. The sideline antics don't bother me at all...its the embarassing blowouts that MUST stop.

Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by FCHusker View Post
    I would think that until he starts winning the big games, this is a good and fair assessment.
    agreed...and starts to actually make adjustments during games (the #1 reason for the blowouts in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedOhio View Post
    The CCG debacle (and other blowouts) have done serious damage to his reputation nationally. To be honest, its very deserving due to the lack of adjustments and the repeated blunders of the past 2-3 seasons. The sideline antics don't bother me at all...its the embarassing blowouts that MUST stop.
    No doubt about it. It's caused some damage in Husker Nation, as well. I've been critical of Bo, but still not sure if this is a fair ranking.

P.S. Mods, can you please merge mine and 'Bama's threads? Thanks

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by FCHusker View Post
    Have no issue with that logic, but when I see Dantonio, O'Brien, and Anderson directly ahead I question exactly what have they done that exceeds Bo taking a program in shambles and at least getting us going in the right direction (minus some blowouts that we all are left scratching our heads over ).
    IT IS NOT THE WILL TO WIN THAT MATERS - EVERYONE HAS THAT. IT IS THE WILL TO PREPARE TO WIN THAT MATTERS. GO BIG RED!!!!

#1 Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by alabamahusker View Post
    Have no issue with that logic, but when I see Dantonio, O'Brien, and Anderson directly ahead I question exactly what have they done that exceeds Bo taking a program in shambles and at least getting us going in the right direction (minus some blowouts that we all are left scratching our heads over ).
    D'antonio, O'Brien and Anderson have keys to a Ford Focus. Bo Pelini has the keys to a BMW 5-series.... Just sayin.
    I would give my life for anyone one of them as i would my own family. -Pops

It doesn’t matter if the glass is half full or half empty. What matters is you have a glass that has something in it. Some people have no glass, or have a glass with nothing in it. So appreciate all that is in your life and quit questioning whether your glass in half full or half empty.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by alabamahusker View Post
    After reading the article on the front page from Athlon concerning head coaching ranks, I have lost a bit of respect for the magazine. Not saying he should be number 1, but...........

I am sure it has been posted and....................., so perhaps I missed it, but where would we rank the BIG coaches.
    Link?

Blah....not worth reading. The rankings are flawed.

Red Shirt

Is Brady Hoke above Bo? If so, then I won't take the ranking seriously. Until Hoke shows that he can actually win the division, he should not be ahead of Bo.

I can live with D'Antonio. He's done a good job at MSU.

Junior Varsity

fuel to the "delusional fans" discussion.....

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by OPHusker View Post
    fuel to the "delusional fans" discussion.....
    Delusional? He's ranked behind a guy who has yet to coach a game in the B1G.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Delusional? He's ranked behind a guy who has yet to coach a game in the B1G.
    Agreed, so why should anyone care?

Ayyy!

Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Dantonio and Pelini have had a similar number of "blowout" (more than two score) losses since 2008. Michigan State has lost games by 18, 21, 17, 31, 42, 28, 38, and 31 points over that time, while Nebraska has lost games by 35, 34, 21, 31, 28, 17, 25, and 39 points.

In that time, Dantonio has had two 11 win seasons, a 9 win season, and two seasons around .500 (7-6 and 6-7). Michigan State tied for first once in the Big 10 prior to the league expansion and won a division championship in 2011.

Under Pelini, Nebraska has finished with at least a tie for first place in its division every year except 2011 (first year in Big 10).

Bo has won 71% of his games as a head coach at Nebraska. Dantonio has won 64.5% of his games as a head coach at Michigan State.

Michigan State was probably in slightly worse shape when Dantonio took over than Nebraska was when Pelini took over, but I believe Nebraska may have still had a tougher rebuilding job given its recruiting disadvantages.

I'd give the slight edge to Pelini on this one due to his consistency, overall winning %, and high finishes in the conference/division.