Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maryland gets travel subsidy from BIG TEN worth tens of millions

Maryland gets travel subsidy from BIG TEN worth tens of millions

this is crap...why dont we get one too?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/t...,1297978.story

The University of Maryland's deal to join the Big Ten includes not only the lucrative annual payouts that all members receive, but also a significant concession obtained by the school — a subsidy worth tens of millions of dollars from the conference to offset athletic teams' anticipated higher travel costs, according to multiple sources.
    The subsidy, which Maryland was promised in negotiations with the conference late last year, made an already appealing offer of Big Ten membership even more attractive to the school.

Since financial details of the agreement are kept private — the amount of the subsidy is not publicly available. But the amount is in the range of $20 million to $30 million, according to sources familiar with the deal.

Scout Team

Does Nebraska receive this same travel subsidy? Just curious if anyone knows.

All American
    Yes, this is horsehockey, if true.
    Riley: Hire a proven OC, and DC. No on the job training.

Coaches who truly coach toughness.

All American
    Or, if Maryland plays ONLY road games, then I guess this is OK.
    Riley: Hire a proven OC, and DC. No on the job training.

Coaches who truly coach toughness.

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker Country Doc View Post
    Or, if Maryland plays ONLY road games, then I guess this is OK.
    Might have more attendence that way
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory is forever.

NOTICE - This board requires no physical fitness program. Everyone gets enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle, running down the administrators, knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing their luck.

Husker Immortal
    BWI probably charges more for gate fees than LNK.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Scout Team
    Not all deals are the same so I would guess NU didn't get anything of the sort... We were blinded by Texas and just wanted to get out... This blows if true...

Exclamation Maryland deal includes multimillion-dollar travel subsidy from Big Ten

Talk about giving the house away for TV sets....I hope the ratings ($$) make this worth while.....would be curious to know which schools/ADs objected to this....

The University of Maryland's deal to join the Big Ten includes not only the lucrative annual payouts that all members receive, but also a significant concession obtained by the school — a subsidy worth tens of millions of dollars from the conference to offset athletic teams' anticipated higher travel costs, according to multiple sources.

Since financial details of the agreement are kept private — the amount of the subsidy is not publicly available. But the amount is in the range of $20 million to $30 million, according to sources familiar with the deal.
    Maryland got the subsidy after assessing the travel-cost implications of leaving the Atlantic Coast Conference, its home for 60 years.

The cost of sending its teams halfway across the country — as far away as Lincoln, Neb. (1,201 miles), and Iowa City, Iowa (905 miles) — was projected by the school to approximately double its travel budget.

The subsidy underscores how much the Big Ten coveted Maryland and the accompanying Baltimore-Washington television market. Maryland had some leverage in the talks because — unlike some schools exploring jumping conferences — it was not coming from a league, the ACC, that appears in imminent danger of collapse.

Much, much more of a long and informative article here: http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...tic-department
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Varsity

Let's keep in mind that NU has a VERY successful football program while Maryland does not. Travel expenses for the Terps would have buried them in terms of making money. You cannot afford to run your AD without a profit from football.

Scout Team
    The final sentence of RR's quote pretty much sums up the difference between Maryland and Nebraska.

"Maryland had some leverage in the talks because — unlike some schools exploring jumping conferences — it was not coming from a league, the ACC, that appears in imminent danger of collapse."

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalRed View Post
    Let's keep in mind that NU has a VERY successful football program while Maryland does not. Travel expenses for the Terps would have buried them in terms of making money. You cannot afford to run your AD without a profit from football.
    Remember though their biggest booster is an ex player that created Under Armour ...rumor was he was going to foot the entire fee for leaving the ACC

Husker Immortal Love Tool
    So Maryland makes a better deal then we did, good for them, bad for us!
    The Skunk Has Spoken!

I swear skunk was squeezin my buttocks !
    Skunkman's nose nailed this one.
    Never squat with yer spurs on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer
    "You gotta watch the Skunkman."
    I don't want to ruin Skunk's rep, but I have to report that he is a very hospitable and generous guy, besides being a super Husker fan.

Water Boy
    Backbench, ................. Final Final, City
    If there is a travel subsidy, Is it a one-time payment, permanent subsidy, or does it phase out after a period of time (like Nebraska's share of BIG revenues phases in to full participation)?
    "Proud 'Water-Carrier' for Nebraska-Ball "

Cake or Death?
    Maryland definitely got a better deal than NU did. But keep in mind there athletic department was in bad shape. Bottom line is, they wouldn't have left without a better deal than NU got, because they probably couldn't have unless what mjw says is true. The whole Maryland thing continues to be underwhelming to me.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Junior Varsity
    I'm starting to turn on Delaney. This makes zero sense. If Maryland gets their regular Big Ten share plus a $25 million travel subsidy, the math just doesn't work. This is a sure money-loser for the conference. Maryland vs. Big Ten isn't going to do anything for the Tier 1 negotiations, so this is all about the BTN.

The most optimstic estimate I've seen puts incremental revenue at $100 million per year from cable subscibers in the northeast corridor. This is for both Rutgers and Maryland. Even if you generously assume Marlyand accounts for half of the total, $50 million divided by 14 mouths is an additional $3.5 million per school. If Marlyand gets $25 million for travel, then they are basically keeping half of their incremental revenue. This leaves a paltry $1.75 million per school, which ironically will not even come close to covering the cost of travel for teams' visits to Maryland.

I'm starting to think PSU was in serious talks to join the ACC, and that this move was 100% about placating them.
    ~Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.~
    J. Lebowski