Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Legendary Question: Was Lue Huskers’ Best?

Administrator

Legendary Question: Was Lue Huskers’ Best?

Discuss.

Randy York’s N-Sider
    Dave Hoppen is a financial analyst, so it should come as no surprise that Nebraska’s leading basketball scorer of all-time poses two important questions as he prepares to receive the 2013 Whitehead Distinguished Alumni Award at Friday night’s Nebraska Basketball Hall-of-Fame Banquet at Lincoln Station.
    Hoppen’s first question: Was Tyronn Lue Nebraska’s best professional basketball player in history? His second question cuts closer to Husker real estate that Hoppen has owned for 27 years: Would Lue be Nebraska’s all-time leading scorer if he had returned for one more season 14 years ago instead of turning pro?
    http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=206405560

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Mikki Moore?

Red Shirt
    I think Lue benefited from being on a very talented Laker squad. I would say Piatkoski was the more complete pro, just on horrible teams.

Lue shutting down Iverson is Nebraska basketball’s shining moment in the NBA. One day he will come back to DONU and restore the order.

Husker Fan

Interesting question. Obviously it comes down to Pike or Lue. Strickland had a nice career and his PPG weren't too much different than those two but his shooting wasn't as good.

PPG. Lue 8.5 v. Pike 7.5
    3%: Lue 39% v. Pike 40%
    FG%: Lue 44% v. Pike 43%
    Minutes: Lue 22.7 v Pike 18.5

Some of the other states aren't fair to compare since they were different positions. Shooting-wise they are a wash. Lue scored a little more (13% more) per game and played a little more. If you don't concede that it's a wash I'd have to go with Lue...by a wisker.

Varsity
    Best pro career was Piatkowski, albeit on subpar teams. Lue was good, but hardly exceptional.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Interesting question. Obviously it comes down to Pike or Lue. Strickland had a nice career and his PPG weren't too much different than those two but his shooting wasn't as good.

PPG. Lue 8.5 v. Pike 7.5

Some of the other states aren't fair to compare since they were different positions. Shooting-wise they are a wash. Lue scored a little more (13% more) per game and played a little more. If you don't concede that it's a wash I'd have to go with Lue...by a wisker.
    Played different positions, and their roles were completely different. Pike was the scoring forward and the Clips relied on him to make three-pointeers. Lue was a PG, not necessarily the scoring guard.

Based on length of career and importance to their respective teams, Pike arguably had the better career.

Does that mean he was a better player? Hard to say; neither was the key to their respective teams and neither will go down in anyone's pantheon of great players.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalRed View Post
    Played different positions, and their roles were completely different. Pike was the scoring forward and the Clips relied on him to make three-pointeers. Lue was a PG, not necessarily the scoring guard.

Based on length of career and importance to their respective teams, Pike arguably had the better career.

Does that mean he was a better player? Hard to say; neither was the key to their respective teams and neither will go down in anyone's pantheon of great players.
    This particular conversation is like discussing blondes v. brunettes. Neither can really be wrong because the stats (albeit from different positions) are so close and the careers themselves rather unremarkable. It's not like comparing Paul Silas and Kyle Korver (sorry for the creighton reference)...while Korver actually scores a little more than silas ever did it's impossible to come to any other conclusion than that Silas had the more remarkable NBA career. 100 out of 100 NBA experts would make that call. I bet it would be close to 50-50 on Lue v. Pike.

So it's so close between the two it's really a wash IMO. And like I said...at least to me...if you made me pick I say Lue.

But since it's friday and I don't feel like working....

Pike was a slightly better scorer if you take their minutes and extend them to a 48 minute game: 19.5 v. 18. But again, you are talking about a "scoring forward" v. a PG. Obviously, the NBA has changed over the years but a 1.5 differnce between a "scoring forward" and a PG isn't much, if anything. For the clips Pike never averaged more than 1.6 3s a game...and 1.1 for his career. So while that was his calling card more or less...he was far from prolific. So was he better at HIS position than Lue was at his? Like I said...neither was remarkable...both were certainly servicable role players based on their relatively long careers.

I guess the tipping point for Lue might be that he has a little more notoriety than Pike...lots of people will remember the Name "tyron lue" from that finals against the lakers..."isn't he that guy that harrassed Iverson?". Only real NBA junkies will recall eric piatkowski.

Coin flip though.

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskermedic View Post
    Discuss.

For my money, Eric Piatkowski was the best, hands down!

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=206405560

For my money, Eric Piatkowski was the best, hands down

Nate Branch - long time Harlem Globetrotter. I know nothing about his career with Nebraska, but I did see him with the Globetrotters. Could be the best pro to come out of Nebraska.
    "I never expect to lose. Even when I'm the underdog, I still prepare a victory speech."
    H Jackson Brown Jr

Stu Lantz also had a decent pro career back in the early 70's. 8 seasons and averaged 12 ppg. I think that's better than Lue?
    "I never expect to lose. Even when I'm the underdog, I still prepare a victory speech."
    H Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post

PPG. Lue 8.5 v. Pike 7.5

A wisker is even a smaller margin than a whisker....