Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill Callahan threw Super Bowl, says future Hall of Famer Tim Brown

Junior Varsity

Tim Brown's take on Callahan sabotage at Super Bowl 10 years ago

Interesting rant by Tim Brown about how he thinks our "friend" Bill Callahan undermined the Raiders at their Super Bowl appearance 10 years ago. Wow!

Speaking on Sirius XM NFL Radio this past Saturday, Brown speculated that Callahan might have changed the team's game plan the Friday before the game because he was friends with Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden and "hated" the Raiders. (Gruden had coached the Raiders before taking the Bucs job the prior offseason.)

"We get our game plan for victory on Monday, and the game plan says we're gonna run the ball," Brown said. "We averaged 340 (pounds) on the offensive line, they averaged 280 (on the defensive line). We're all happy with that, everybody is excited."

But Brown said Callahan, now the offensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys, called an audible the Friday before the game, switching from a run-heavy attack to a passing one.

"We all called it sabotage ... because Callahan and Gruden were good friends," Brown said. "And Callahan had a big problem with the Raiders, you know, hated the Raiders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...uper-bowl-loss
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

All American
    I read this article and could believe what Tim Brown is alleging, 100%. What coach in his right mind, on the Friday before the Super Bowl, would completely change the offensive scheme? I would understand if it happened on Monday, to throw the defense a screwball, but the Friday before? I can also see BC doing this to Al Davis, as badly as he treated others. Could not have happened to a better organization.
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

It all comes down to center Barret Robbins take on all this. Remember he went AWOL the friday before the SuperBowl. Brown thinks he left the team cuz of the game plan change on friday... Others think Cally changed the "heavy downhill running" gameplan because his best lineman and signal caller (Robbins) left the team 3 days before the game!

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W

Bill Callahan threw Super Bowl, says future Hall of Famer Tim Brown

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/01...03&feedID=3799

"It's hard to say the guy sabotaged the Super Bowl. You know, can you really say that? That can be my opinion, but I can't say for a fact that that's what his plan was, to sabotage the Super Bowl. He hated the Raiders so much that he would sabotage the Super Bowl so his friend can win the Super Bowl. That's hard to say, because you can't prove it.

"But the facts are what they are, that less than 36 hours before the game we changed our game plan. And we go into that game absolutely knowing that we have no shot. That the only shot we had [was] if Tampa Bay didn't show up."

"I played 27 years of football. The coaches never changed the game plan the Friday before the game. I'm not trying to point fingers at anybody here, all I'm saying is those are the facts of what happened. So people look at Barret and they say all these things, but every player in that locker room will tell you, ‘You'd better talk to Bill Callahan.' Because if not for Coach Callahan, I don't think we're in that situation."

pray for me ;)
    Its already in "other teams".
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Zack Crockett called into Mike & Mike this morning (Raider RB on that team) - he said what happened was after situation with Barret Robbins everyone panicked. Said loss of starting C and having to go to that backup was an insurmountable problem. Said gameplan changed after Barret situation went down and said the line calls had to be simplified as they now had a C who basically had no idea what he was doing. He also pointed out that TB Def had very smart players on DL and at LB and he had no doubt they were able to figure it out.

Ayyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    Its already in "other teams".
    Former Husker coach in "Other Teams?" In the offseason? Hmmm.

Ayyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawn View Post
    Zack Crockett called into Mike & Mike this morning (Raider RB on that team) - he said what happened was after situation with Barret Robbins everyone panicked. Said loss of starting C and having to go to that backup was an insurmountable problem. Said gameplan changed after Barret situation went down and said the line calls had to be simplified as they now had a C who basically had no idea what he was doing. He also pointed out that TB Def had very smart players on DL and at LB and he had no doubt they were able to figure it out.
    It comes as no surprise to me that Callahan, the offensive line wizard, didn't have a backup center ready to play after four preseason games, 16 regular season games, and two playoff games. Twenty-two games is not nearly enough time to prepare a professional backup.

Cake or Death?
    Romanowski was on The Herd this morning. Called it ludicrous. Said no way he was trying to sabotage anything. Also indicated that when he played for SF Seifert did the same thing on them before playing the Cowboys. He indicated that they had installed a man coverage for the game and then changed to a zone something or other on Friday night, nobody knew what they heck they were doing and they got pounded.

Look, I know everyone on here thinks Callahan is the devil (I don't like the guy much myself), but anyone who thinks a coach would throw a Superbowl is crazy.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun)" - Eddie Izzard

Anyone who watched the 2004 Iowa State Nebraska game knows that it does not take a nefarious conspiracy to get Bill Callahan to throw 60 times a game when running the ball would be the superior strategy. ISU had a horrible run defense and a pretty decent pass defense that year. We still had the personnel for a run-based offense, including a starting quarterback who was unable to see linebackers while in the pocket. We could have won that game by four touchdowns. Every time we did run the ball, we'd rattle off 8 or 10 yards it seemed. And yet Callahan wanted to show off his "we take what we want" philosophy, and continued attacking the strength of ISU's defense instead of a weekend. The result -- 43 passes to 35 runs, a game-ending interception, and an embarrassing loss.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Ayyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Anyone who watched the 2004 Iowa State Nebraska game knows that it does not take a nefarious conspiracy to get Bill Callahan to throw 60 times a game when running the ball would be the superior strategy. ISU had a horrible run defense and a pretty decent pass defense that year. We still had the personnel for a run-based offense, including a starting quarterback who was unable to see linebackers while in the pocket. We could have won that game by four touchdowns. Every time we did run the ball, we'd rattle off 8 or 10 yards it seemed. And yet Callahan wanted to show off his "we take what we want" philosophy, and continued attacking the strength of ISU's defense instead of a weekend. The result -- 43 passes to 35 runs, a game-ending interception, and an embarrassing loss.
    What's funny is he'll probably be a head coach again someday. The NFL seems to enjoy recycling the same guys.

Ayyy!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Impaler View Post
    Romanowski was on The Herd this morning. Called it ludicrous. Said no way he was trying to sabotage anything. Also indicated that when he played for SF Seifert did the same thing on them before playing the Cowboys. He indicated that they had installed a man coverage for the game and then changed to a zone something or other on Friday night, nobody knew what they heck they were doing and they got pounded.

Look, I know everyone on here thinks Callahan is the devil (I don't like the guy much myself), but anyone who thinks a coach would throw a Superbowl is crazy.
    I doubt he intentionally threw the game. I just think he's an incompetent egomaniac.

Husker Fan
    I'm forever thankful for Bill Callahan. He was so pathetic as a head coach that he actually makes Bo Pelini look good.

Husker Fan
    Moved and merged.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Former Husker coach in "Other Teams?" In the offseason? Hmmm.
    I wasn't saying it should be there, I was just remarking that it was there.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"