Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Sand Volleyball coming to NU

Administrator

Sand Volleyball coming to NU

The University of Nebraska announced on Wednesday that it will add sand volleyball as a women's intercollegiate sport, beginning with the spring 2013 competition season. The addition of sand volleyball to Nebraska's list of sport offerings, gives the Huskers 24 intercollegiate programs, including 14 women's teams and 10 men's teams. Sand volleyball is the first sport Nebraska has added since women's rifle began competition in the 1998-99 season.

Sand volleyball was approved as an NCAA Emerging Sport for women in 2009 and began play in the 2011-12 school year. Fifteen schools sponsored varsity teams in the spring of 2012, the first season of competition for Division I schools. The inaugural AVCA Collegiate Sand Volleyball Championships were held last April in Gulf Shores, Ala., and that site will host the championship from 2013 to 2015.

More than 20 schools are currently sponsoring sand volleyball, with that number expected to grow in the coming years. When 40 institutions in Division I and II have sponsored varsity programs for one year, the NCAA will sponsor an NCAA Championship in the sport. Should funds be approved for a championship in the next budget cycle, the NCAA would host its first national championship in the spring of 2016.

Nebraska Director of Athletics Shawn Eichorst said the majority of the groundwork for the addition of sand volleyball was completed before he took over his position last week. The final steps to Nebraska's sponsorship of sand volleyball were approved by the NCAA and the Big Ten Conference over the past few days.

"Coach Osborne and Coach Cook had discussions about the possibility of adding sand volleyball over the past few months and things came together quickly in recent weeks," Eichorst said. "We are excited to sponsor a sport that is beginning to emerge on the national level, and plan to grow with the sport in the coming years. Our volleyball program has a remarkable record of success over a long period of time, and we hope to add to that legacy through our sand volleyball team in the years ahead."

Nebraska Volleyball Coach John Cook said the growing popularity of sand volleyball made the addition of the sport at Nebraska an attractive option.
    http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=205896263

Born a Nebraskan, raised a Nebraskan, will die a Nebraskan!! Go Big Red!

Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men. Some time ago Theudas appeared, claiming to be somebody, and about four hundred men rallied to him. He was killed, all his followers were dispersed, and it all came to nothing. After him, Judas the Galilean appeared in the days of the census and led a band of people in revolt. He too was killed, and all his followers were scattered. Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God.” - Gamalie the Pharisee - Addressing the Sanhedrin regarding the new group called Christians
    "I support collecting more in taxes from people with high incomes who choose to actually pay taxes at lower tax rates than use lawyers and accountants to avoid taxes at higher tax rates," he wrote. "Some tax revenues at low tax rates is a heckuva lot better than no tax revenues at high tax rates." - Art Laffer (on 999 plan)

Recruit

It is great to see another sport added but this should really help NU in its regular volleyball program as is great increased time with coaches, increases recruiting ability, increases player development, and team cohesiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerCoug View Post
    It is great to see another sport added but this should really help NU in its regular volleyball program as is great increased time with coaches, increases recruiting ability, increases player development, and team cohesiveness.
    I agree...but it will also help w/ recuiting iirc Dykstra (sp) transferred cause she wanted to play sand volleyball. Where will the matches be held?

towel boy
    Quote Originally Posted by blkshrts View Post
    I agree...but it will also help w/ recuiting iirc Dykstra (sp) transferred cause she wanted to play sand volleyball. Where will the matches be held?
    On one of the sandbars in the Platte River.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedIggy View Post
    Cool with me as long as they serve beer

Junior Varsity

Hmmmmm, now that makes 14 sports for women against only 10 for men........so since it would seem we are so way ahead as it pertains to Title X, does this mean we can add 1 or 2 men's sports without adding anymore women's sports?....or is Title X still so overly geared towards women's sports that the men can be -4 but still not be able to legally add a sport?

Varsity
    have to watch out for sand burrs, though...

Also, uniform costs are pretty low for this sport; so, should be able to make some money on this one.

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by dparks View Post
    Hmmmmm, now that makes 14 sports for women against only 10 for men........so since it would seem we are so way ahead as it pertains to Title X, does this mean we can add 1 or 2 men's sports without adding anymore women's sports?....or is Title X still so overly geared towards women's sports that the men can be -4 but still not be able to legally add a sport?
    Problem is that it's not the number of sports; but, the number of participants. Football uses a lot of male participants.

Junior Varsity

Quote Originally Posted by BGRed View Post
    Problem is that it's not the number of sports; but, the number of participants. Football uses a lot of male participants.
    Ok, gotcha, thanks........still hoping for hockey!!!

Travel Squad
    This.
    "I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska. The Nebraska fans, players, cheerleaders, band, officials, coaches, etc., gave me living testimony of what college football should be all about." - Bobby Bowden

Travel Squad
    Ok, gotcha, thanks........still hoping for hockey!!!
    Me want hockey too.
    "I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska. The Nebraska fans, players, cheerleaders, band, officials, coaches, etc., gave me living testimony of what college football should be all about." - Bobby Bowden

Recruit

What sports were rejected before beach volleyball was added? My (hopefully humorous) list: http://feitcanwrite.wordpress.com/20...-sports-teams/

Recruit

I agree. I just had a conversation with a former NU player. She was really excited about it because of how much it helps to improve your overall game. She told me that it really helps you to read hitters better and understand angles. She also stated she had played on their sand and it is really nice. Thought it was interesting.

Heisman
    Been there, done that.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

You don't go by number of sports only but of total scholarships awarded in proportion to the student population, at least that is my understanding of it and i just did a little research to confirm it. (http://www.sadker.org/TitleIX.html)

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerlullaby View Post
    You don't go by number of sports only but of total scholarships awarded in proportion to the student population, at least that is my understanding of it and i just did a little research to confirm it. (http://www.sadker.org/TitleIX.html)
    Football really skews everything since there are no women's sports that provide anywhere close to the number of scholarships that football does. Thus, to keep the scholarship numbers equitable, you will almost always see more women's scholarship sports than men's scholarship sports at most colleges.
    I really hate Penn State! (And I'm not that wild about Iowa either.)