Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Santos' head coach weighs in

Santos' head coach weighs in

From Sip on the LJS Blog....sounds like the sort of kid we want....and go Ek go !!.....

Just got off the phone with David Santos' head coach, Drew Svoboda.

Svoboda said Santos led Klein Collins High in tackles last season as the Tigers finished 12-1, losing in the third round of the Class 5A state playoffs.

“He just has a knack to play the game of football,” the coach said. “That’s probably what separates David from a lot of other high school athletes. He has an extremely high football I.Q.

“The second thing is his suddenness at the point of contact. He’s extremely fast-twitched. He has a lot of pop to him.”

Utah, which thoroughly recruits the Houston area, was the first to offer Santos a scholarship, Svoboda said.

Mike Ekeler evidently did an excellent job in landing Santos.

“Coach Ekeler’s an extremely intense guy, and it comes across in his recruiting,” Svoboda said. "David's everything you want in a recruit, and I think Coach Ekeler saw that immediately."
    http://my.journalstar.com/post/Huske...weighs_in.html
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

More:

David Santos, a 6-foot, 193-pound linebacker from Klein, Texas, has committed to Nebraska, according to both Scout.com and Rivals.com.

He reportedly turned down scholarship offers from Arkansas, Colorado State, Kansas, Memphis, Tulane, Utah and Wyoming.

"The academics were big," Santos told Scout.com's Bryan Munson. "The 94 percent graduation rate is good. I am going there and will play for a good football school. But I will also take care of the academics.

"Football wise, it's just a great fit. I love the defense. I love the coaching staff. It was just a big family there."

Nebraska linebackers coach Mike Ekeler apparently played the lead role in Santos' recruitment.

Klein is near Houston.
    http://my.journalstar.com/post/Huske...hooses_nu.html
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Thanks RR for the link. Great job done by Coach Ekeler once again, glad to hear Santos is going to be a HUSKER.

Looks like a very good pickup welcome to the husker family David

Recruit

"suddeness" Gotta love coach speak