Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs....just part of the family

Red Shirt

Dogs....just part of the family

We lost our miniature dachshund tonight. She got hit by a car. It was devastating to my family. Especially my kids. She was always do excitrd to see someone come home. Grunted like a little piggy and licked our faces all the while her tail wagging relentlessly. I'm really torn and will miss her tremendously.

So we had a mini-funeral, each one in the family said something to say goodbye. Then I got some.concrete from my shop and I made a headstone for her. Super sad day for our family.

Which got me to thinking. Isn't it crazy how close we bond with our pets? They literally become a family member. Its hard to explain. Not really like one of the kids, but not really like your spouse. Kind of a mixture between the two.

Call me crazy, but just like losing a family member, no other pet will be able to take Buttercup's place.

Short & stout, no more 3 & out!-HuskerGene

Junior Varsity
    So sorry to hear about your loss, Pookey. You're not the only one who feels dogs ARE part of the family and their loss felt very deeply. Losing a dog is certainly not on the level as losing a child (I personally know this), but the pain is very deep. And no other dog WILL take its place. Your mini-funeral is a great way for your family to share the grief. Hang in there.

We have a 13 year-old Irish Setter and are watching him slowly decline physically. He is the greatest dog we have ever had the privilege of loving, and I'm dreading the inevitable.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Husker Immortal
    Sorry to hear this. We lost our Lab in '04 and could not start over. Switched to cats as they just ignore us.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer View Post
    Switched to cats as they just ignore us.
    Ain't that the truth - just like teenagers.
    (old Gaelic saying) Chan eil h-uile facal sireadh freagairt. Not every question requires an answer.

Red Shirt

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Pookey. We have a 3 year old French Bulldog who is very much a part of the family. I can only imagine how devastating losing him would be.

Stay strong and my thoughts will be with you and your family.

All Big 10
    Sorry to hear that. Pets do find a way to deeply embed themselves into our families. We put our cat of 18 years down 3 years ago. Our house just felt different for months afterwards, there was a void there. We both kept seeing him out of the corner of our eye.

About 4 months ago we got a new cat. Totally different from our first cat...love the new cat but still miss the old one.

Each pet is different and brings something new to the family. Enjoy the memories and love.
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

Sorry for your loss. It is heart breaking when you lose a beloved pet. It is the unconditional love they give that makes them so special. Our mini doxie is pushing 14 years and I dread the day when we lose him. I don't think there are any dogs that have cooler personalities than dachshunds.

Head Lackey
    My deepest sympathies Pookey.
    I completely agree that a dog is very much like a family member, because that's exactly what you are them. And losing any family member leaves a small hole in your heart, especially when they leave you suddenly. I feel your pain, our red heeler/german shepherd died unexpectedly the day after Christmas last year. I still cry when I think about her...

Also agree w/bugeater61; doxies are cool. One of our newest foster dogs is a doxie/chihuahua puppy. A huge bundle of energy in a very small package. I love his little squeaky hound-dog bark.
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by MyBraska View Post
    So sorry to hear about your loss, Pookey. You're not the only one who feels dogs ARE part of the family and their loss felt very deeply. Losing a dog is certainly not on the level as losing a child (I personally know this), but the pain is very deep. And no other dog WILL take its place. Your mini-funeral is a great way for your family to share the grief. Hang in there.

We have a 13 year-old Irish Setter and are watching him slowly decline physically. He is the greatest dog we have ever had the privilege of loving, and I'm dreading the inevitable.
    My parents love Irish setters too. They got one when they were married and we had to.put him down at 14 because of cancer(I was only 7). Tosh was his name. Great dog. And very friendly.

Its just a crummy deal with our beloved dachshund. She was just under 1 1/2(got her at 8 weeks). We took her EVERYWHERE with us. Camping, Holidays, grocery store, school, lake, fishing, and of course walks.

I agree the loss isn't like losing a child (I too have experienced that) but the wounds are still deep. Kiddos were up till early hours of the morning crying off and on. I was there doing the same. They are still struggling today, so we kept them home from school and are just holding them tight while they grieve.

Thank you for the thoughts and prayers!

Short & stout, no more 3 & out!-HuskerGene

Blackshirt
    Pets mostly Dogs but all pets seem to put a smile on everyones faces, At the Vets home I work at you can really see the members totally perk up at the site of an animal. RIP Buttercup.

6th year Redshirt
    Losing a loved pet is hard, and they are part of the family. Had to put down my lab Wondermutt a few years ago, she'd been with us for 16 years, that's a lot of smiles and memories.

Reminds me of some news stories from Katrina, when owners were told they couldn't bring their dogs on the rescue boats and decided to stay behind and tough it out instead, just couldn't bring themselves to abandon them, which shows they can definetly become part of the family.

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookey View Post
    We lost our miniature dachshund tonight. She got hit by a car. It was devastating to my family. Especially my kids. She was always do excited to see someone come home. Grunted like a little piggy and licked our faces all the while her tail wagging relentlessly. I'm really torn and will miss her tremendously.

So we had a mini-funeral, each one in the family said something to say goodbye. Then I got some.concrete from my shop and I made a headstone for her. Super sad day for our family.

Which got me to thinking. Isn't it crazy how close we bond with our pets? They literally become a family member. Its hard to explain. Not really like one of the kids, but not really like your spouse. Kind of a mixture between the two.

Call me crazy, but just like losing a family member, no other pet will be able to take Buttercup's place.
    I'm a dog lover too. Yes, my dogs are a part of the family and we are attached to them. If something should happen to them we would be devastated.

I feel you pain, and no pet will take Buttercup's place, but maybe some day a special puppy will find a way into your heart.

A puppy just might pick your family and become a part of it similar to Buttercup. Who knows? But it just might happen someday.

Keep your head up. You're not Crazy.
    It's a great day to be a Husker Fan!
    Live By The Code!
    (28-13-3) GATA If you see a skunk in the middle of the road, do you run it over or let it live? That is a quandary?

The loss of a pet is always tough.

Dogs, no matter how bad a day you've had, they are always happy to see you.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Sage View Post
    Dogs, no matter how bad a day you've had, they are always happy to see you.
    A friend of mine said you can do a test to see who loves you more - your wife or your dog. Put both of them in the trunk of your car for an hour, and when you let them out, who is happier to see you?

I have a mini dox and he is definitely on the downside.....seizures and all but he still is a ball of energy and runs the joint...cant imagine