Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SI.com-First impressions send Martinez, Bell soaring up Heisman Watch

SI.com-First impressions send Martinez, Bell soaring up Heisman Watch

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tch/index.html

More good press for Taylor, he's up to #5 on SI's Heisman watch.

5. QB Taylor Martinez, Nebraska, Jr.

Last week: 26-of-34 passing for 354 yards and five touchdowns; six rushes for 10 yards in a 49-20 win over Southern Miss.
    Watchman's take: Are we finally seeing T-Magic in full? It sounded ridiculous when Martinez said his completion rate goal for this season was "70 percent or above" -- Martinez had a 56.3 percentage last season and 59.2 as a freshman -- but maybe it wasn't so crazy. He was simply brilliant in the opener, hitting on 76.5 percent of his throws in totaling 364 yards of offense. He also matched his career-high with five touchdown strikes. Making it even more impressive, the outburst came largely without the aid of running back Rex Burkhead, who exited after the first three series with a knee sprain. Martinez has made appearances on this list over the last two years, but may finally be a factor for the long haul.
    Next up: Saturday at UCLA

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz25X7nZOJf

Red Shirt
    It's great to see him getting some love from the media. I just hope he can keep that love going into October this time.

If the offense can move like that against our big 10 opponents, then I will start getting excited.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Captkenny View Post
    It's great to see him getting some love from the media. I just hope he can keep that love going into October this time.

If the offense can move like that against our big 10 opponents, then I will start getting excited.
    I think Martinez is on a mission this year. Hes got a chip on his shoulder, and baring any setbacks (injury). He could have a special season.

Husker Immortal
    now that's a good first impression

Husker Immortal
    It's only the first game against sub-par competition. If he stays on the list throughout the conference season, he will have an incredible year.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Red Shirt
    Could be a long season for MSU if they need Bell getting 40+ carries a game.
    "Troubled childhood? Troubled childhood? Yeah, if you call being a 9 year old kid with a 35 year old girlfriend troubled." Chazz Michael Michaels

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    It's only the first game against sub-par competition. If he stays on the list throughout the conference season, he will have an incredible year.
    I half agree with you; it's only the first game.
    Southern Miss did not look sub-par. A lot of those completions would have been knocked down or intercepted if they hadn't been on the money.

All Big 10
    Nice for him. But there is soooo far to go. I hope the coaches ban all reading until the end of the season.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Nice for him. But there is soooo far to go. I hope the coaches ban all reading until the end of the season.
    Lol, "Sorry guys, no more studying, reading is off limits till after the season, Im sure your teachers will understand."

But of course, for schools line Alabama, that would mean the have to be able to read first!

All Big 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Pelinis Gum View Post
    Lol, "Sorry guys, no more studying, reading is off limits till after the season, Im sure your teachers will understand."

But of course, for schools line Alabama, that would mean the have to be able to read first!
    Exactly. It puts us on a level playing field.

40+ carries will last about 3 games and he'll be worthless for the rest of the year.

First impressions. We ought to know by now what they are worth.

Heisman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby and Bruce View Post
    First impressions. We ought to know by now what they are worth.
    A second look?
    If you continue to have your practices open to the public, donít be surprised if they show up. All of them.

Greatness is made in empty stadiums, but itís revealed in full stadiums.

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    You bet. Listening and watching, too. Except during practice.
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Awesomeness In Every Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Yup, I hope this is how the season goes as we will be nearly unbeatable. Time will tell

"If you are going to mess with the Kings, Queens, you better watch your Ace, Jack."
    There are two kinds of fools, one says: "This is old, therefore it is good"; the other says, "This is new, therefore it is better."