Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Capitalism making life better?

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    Really huh?

http://www.chomsky.info/books.htm

Why is the banner ad to a book I can buy for $10, and the rest of the links to books I can purchase with limited previews available?

http://www.zcommunications.org/zstore/products/120

Only $22.

Noam is the king of the fringe theory industrial complex!
    you said:
    "for $20 you can buy a transcript of his interviews from any of a number of his websites."

I said you can view them for free on his site. Here is the link going back to 1971:
    http://www.chomsky.info/interviews.htm

AND...yes you can buy books that are of the same interviews, talks, articles of his if you prefer that format. So there is a choice...read it for free on his site or buy it in a book if you'd rather read them that way.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

"The best thing to do is read widely and always skeptically. Remember that everyone, including me, has their opinions and their goals and you have to think them through for yourself." - Noam Chomsky

The Walking Red
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusboy View Post
    you said:
    "for $20 you can buy a transcript of his interviews from any of a number of his websites."

I said you can view them for free on his site. Here is the link going back to 1971:
    http://www.chomsky.info/interviews.htm

AND...yes you can buy books that are of the same interviews, talks, articles of his if you prefer that format. So there is a choice...read it for free on his site or buy it in a book if you'd rather read them that way.
    So I was right then.

Heisman

I never said there was.

And let's be clear...we have a STATE capitalist system. The fact that no pure capitalist system has ever succeeded speaks volumes about it's ability to work w/out govt running interference for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    The term you are searching for is a market economy. The government's role is to maintain and enforce private property rights, ensure political freedom which is integral to economic freedom, and provide a robust and fair court system for the adjudication of disputes. You won't find any economist who disagrees with these principles. Nobody here has advocated for anarchy.

As the Heritage Foundation's rankings demonstrate (I know you don't want to talk about those) the more the government ensures economic freedom, the more its citizens prosper.
    No I meant state capitalism. The govt does MUCH more than you just stated. They do bail outs..they do RnD...they do duties...
    Since wikipedia is your preferred source in this thread, I refer you there. No, we do NOT have "state capitalism."

The term state capitalism has various meanings, but is usually described as commercial (profit-seeking) economic activity undertaken by the state with management of the productive forces in a capitalist manner.

State capitalism is usually characterized by the dominance or existence of a significant number of state-owned business enterprises.
    State Capitalism wiki

That most certainly does not describe the United States.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by nems View Post
    So I was right then.
    Since you want to get technical....you were wrong twice in one statement.

1 - as stated before zcommunications.org isn't his. I gave HIS site.

2 - your link was to a book, not a transcript.

Big picture is what I stated. You can access it all for free on his site or if you prefer to have it in a book you can buy a book.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair

"The best thing to do is read widely and always skeptically. Remember that everyone, including me, has their opinions and their goals and you have to think them through for yourself." - Noam Chomsky

Heisman

Since you want to get technical....you were wrong twice in one statement.

1 - as stated before zcommunications.org isn't his. I gave HIS site.

2 - your link was to a book, not a transcript.

Big picture is what I stated. You can access it all for free on his site or if you prefer to have it in a book you can buy a book.
    Technical, huh? zcommunications.org isn't his site, no. But its the vehicle he uses to sell lots of his stuff and make money from.

Shophuskermax.com isn't David Max's site either, its owned and operated by Osborne Family Enterprises. But its the vehicle he uses to sell lots of his stuff and make money from.

So stop with the ridiculous "its not his site" argument, ok?

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    Since wikipedia is your preferred source in this thread, I refer you there. No, we do NOT have "state capitalism."

State Capitalism wiki

That most certainly does not describe the United States.

That is one def. from the same link:

In Western countries

An alternate definition is that state capitalism is a close relationship between the government and private capitalism, such as one in which the private capitalists produce for a guaranteed market. An example of this would be the military-industrial complex in which autonomous entrepreneurial firms produce for lucrative government contracts and are not subject to the discipline of competitive markets. Many consider this as part of a continuum characterizing the modern world economy with "normal" capitalism at one extreme and complete state capitalism like that of the former USSR at the other.[citation needed]

Both the Trotskyist definition and this one derive from discussion among Marxists at the beginning of the 20th century, most notably Nikolai Bukharin who, in his book Imperialism and the world economy thought that advanced, 'imperialist' countries exhibited the latter definition and considered (and rejected) the possibility that they could arrive at the former.
    another example I can think of for the first bold is farm subsidies.

There are arguments that state capitalism only exists to ensure that wealth creation does not threaten the ruling elite’s political power. As the government is tightly connected to the industries, they are able to control the economy in the sense that it does not threaten their ruling power. The tight relationship between the state and the company can cause negative aspects in this matter. Also, state capitalism has a fear towards “creative destruction.” They have fear towards the revolutions and it wants develop without significant changes being made. Therefore, industries tend to remain longer than its usefulness. This in the end creates an environment that is not well equipped to inspire innovation as well. For this reason it can cause inefficiency in the economy.

Travel Squad
    Technical, huh? zcommunications.org isn't his site, no. But its the vehicle he uses to sell lots of his stuff and make money from.

Shophuskermax.com isn't David Max's site either, its owned and operated by Osborne Family Enterprises. But its the vehicle he uses to sell lots of his stuff and make money from.

So stop with the ridiculous "its not his site" argument, ok?
    So is barnes and noble his site too? Twice Nems has said the Z site is NC's and then he went on to say NC has numerous sites. So maybe he was saying B&N is NC's...

Noted that I'm just following the semantic/technical path that you 2 have laid.

All Big 10
    So CB do you think capitalism is making life better?
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

Heisman

That is one def. from the same link:

another example I can think of for the first bold is farm subsidies.
    Its ok, I understand. Your idol Chomsky says the US practices "state capitalism" so you must agree - even if it means using fringe "alternate definitions" and ignoring the one which states "State capitalism is usually characterized by..."

So by almost all generally accepted standards, the US is not an example of "state capitalism" but by the fringe alternate one espoused by Chomsky, and therefore by you - it is.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Depends on for who you are talking about.

I don't understand why you need to routinely use condescending language. You see then it makes the other person want to do so in return and maybe even step it up a bit....and then it all escalates/snowballs and threads that could be productive end up being destructive peeing matches. I'll be back to respond to the rest of your reply, but I'd like to keep this a respectful and productive discussion.
    If you don't want to be condescended to, then don't make condescending statements such as the following:

It really shows how superficial our thinking is on things.
    I think it's great to hear perspectives that are different from what we are indoctrinated with.
    Right off the bat, you are indicating that people who support capitalism only have a "superficial" understanding of economics, and they have been "indoctrinated." Then, you go and cite perhaps the most superficial source available in the entire universe, wikipedia.

Look, I was an economics major in college. I focused my law school studies on courses in law and economics. I had professors who subscribed to all viewpoints. My understanding of economics is not superficial, nor have I been indoctrinated.

When you discuss some of these concepts like "state capitalism" it betrays a very basic, rudimentary understanding of core economic theories. While you encourage people to look at non-mainstream views, I can say with 100% confidence that you have not gone and read "Freedom to Choose" by Milton Friedman, so that you can have a basic understanding of the economic theories that you oppose. Unfortunately, that unwillingness to look at opposing viewpoints makes it impossible to have a "productive" discussion with you.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

God of Huskermax

Its ok, I understand. Your idol Chomsky says the US practices "state capitalism" so you must agree - even if it means using fringe "alternate definitions" and ignoring the one which states "State capitalism is usually characterized by..."

So by almost all generally accepted standards, the US is not an example of "state capitalism" but by the fringe alternate one espoused by Chomsky, and therefore by you - it is.
    I'm not sayin....I'm just sayin.....

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    It's sad that you've been reduced to putting words in people's mouths and assigning false positions to them. A sure sign of desperation.
    Yep. After he did that to me twice, I decided to not take the baiting any longer, so quit responding further to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    Yeah, you two would NEVER do such a thing.

Travel Squad

Wrong. Bailouts, duties, subsidies, military industrial complex, stimulus'....

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by FLA4NEB View Post
    Many have provided simple, straightforward answers to the question you posed in the thread title.

Obviously, you're not willing to do so yourself. Clearly exposing your thread as another cb "gotcha" attempt and little else. Why do you expect answers from others, when you're unwilling to answer it yourself?

All Big 10
    Well than lets start with you.
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.