Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: More good economic news

Blackshirt

The Republicans will continue to discredit, discount, and dismiss the slightest mention of economic recovery/improvement until the election. They have been doing so for the past three + years so why stop now?
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    The Republicans will continue to discredit, discount, and dismiss the slightest mention of economic recovery/improvement until the election. They have been doing so for the past three + years so why stop now?
    Could you point out where I've done that in this thread? In fact, I've recognized several metrics that show economic growth - there's no denying that the economy is growing. Once again, compared to other past recessions/depressions, we've recovered horribly and I think there are very specific reasons for that that point to democratic policies.

Do you deny that the growth has been slower than past recoveries? Are you OK with the fact that job growth has stagnated? That most of this year has shown signs of the economy sputtering and lurching forward instead of taking off...?

As Weino's posts demonstrate, this recovery has been flatter and weaker than any recovery from any other recession. If such a recovery had occurred on a Republican president's watch instead of a Democratic president's watch, democrats would be just as criticial. And rightly so.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Junior Varsity
    Wahorse, are you happy with the pace of recovery?
    Thank God for Obama saving and transforming our economy albeit slower than any (including him) would like.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by HuZkurZ View Post
    Weino,

You gave it a good effort. But, if someone is bent on ruining a thread there isn't much you can do to save it.
    I think this is a really interesting topic, so I'm not real worried about it.

I am disappointed that we didn't have more people weigh in - it would have been good to hear from Seattle or cactusboy on this topic.

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post
    I'm not gong to comment on your personal commentary.
    I made no personal commentary. I answered and countered your post.

The LEI is good news, I'll grant you that... But, once again "slow, but steady" recovery. If we want the recovery to kick up a notch, we need to make a change in The White House.

Here's a great synopsis of economy under Obama from CNN: http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/...omy/index.html

As I've been saying, recovery, but way tooooo slooooowww!! Time for Obama to gooooo!!!
    I have no problem with you arguing that point. I've not argued that Obama should stay. I can see why some would want him to not be elected again and I also see why some would want him elected again.

While no one will believe this statement, I'm currently undecided as to who I will be voting for.

God of Huskermax

Actually weino and others have simply claimed it is slower than previous ones. Not that it isn't there.

Travel Squad

Quote Originally Posted by RedPhoenix View Post
    I made no personal commentary. I answered and countered your post.

I have no problem with you arguing that point. I've not argued that Obama should stay. I can see why some would want him to not be elected again and I also see why some would want him elected again.

While no one will believe this statement, I'm currently undecided as to who I will be voting for.
    I have no reason not to believe you. I'm curious what sort of things will you be looking at to make your decision?

God of Huskermax

Quote Originally Posted by Weinosker View Post
    I have no reason not to believe you. I'm curious what sort of things will you be looking at to make your decision?
    How they run their campaigns. Who I believe more during the debates. For me it's a gut feeling of who I think can do a better job. As I said in previous elections, each candidate will be roughly 80% exactly the same once they take office.

Blackshirt

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    As Weino's posts demonstrate, this recovery has been flatter and weaker than any recovery from any other recession. If such a recovery had occurred on a Republican president's watch instead of a Democratic president's watch, democrats would be just as criticial. And rightly so.
    But would they (Democrats) have purposefully obstructed recovery just to regain political power?
    I cried because I had no shoes until I saw a man that had no feet.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    But would they (Democrats) have purposefully obstructed recovery just to regain political power?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain this is a veiled accusation that Republicans have tried to obstruct an economic recovery. I'm wondering which specific bills Republicans have obstructed in the last couple of years, and how those bills would have led to a stronger recovery.

Anyway, to answer the question more directly, I think we've seen in the Missouri Senate race that Democrats are willing to do just about anything to get elected. Why else would they want Akin to remain in the race? To them, serious issues like rape, abortion, and race are just political tools. We've seen it before with their treatment of people such as Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas. There's no reason to believe that they wouldn't block solutions designed to strengthen the economy if it gave them an opportunity to gain power.

Party over people.

Society Crazy Indeed
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post

No we get to see a recession happen under the republicans watch

I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded, or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.I wont give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, and showed up for all wounded children.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    No we get to see a recession happen under the republicans watch
    Obama's fault.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain this is a veiled accusation that Republicans have tried to obstruct an economic recovery. I'm wondering which specific bills Republicans have obstructed in the last couple of years, and how those bills would have led to a stronger recovery.
    There was the debt ceiling and government shutdown things, which did seem to hurt confidence and stunt the recovery.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by huskerator 5000 View Post
    There was the debt ceiling and government shutdown things, which did seem to hurt confidence and stunt the recovery.
    Is it your belief that Republicans were the sole reason for that?