Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rosenblatt Bites The Dust!

Red Shirt

Rosenblatt Bites The Dust!

"I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

Not an Omaha resident anymore, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they demolished a beautiful stadium that most of us remember fondly from our childhood in order two build not one but two new stadiums.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Husker Immortal
    Yeah, that's kinda sad.
    "According to a Gallup poll, President Obama's approval rating has dropped to 45 percent. Luckily for Obama, he has 'impeachment insurance.' It's called 'Joe Biden.'" –Jay Leno

Red Shirt
    but for the life of me I cannot understand why they demolished a beautiful stadium that most of us remember fondly from our childhood in order two build not one but two new stadiums.
    Beautiful stadium? I grew up in South O and Rosenblatt, for lack of a better word, was a dump. One of my lasting memories is being in a restroom on the concourse during another 100 degree day and having the urine stench permeate the air. That is one thing I certainly won't miss!

For what its worth, the Storm Chasers are setting attendance records at Werner Park, and the CWS has never been better at TD Ameritrade...
    "I've never quit anything in my life" -- Bo Pelini

IMO, the jury is still out on TD, because it needs to be used more often than what it currently is, but overall the whole thing has been good for Omaha. The Storm Chasers are in a much better stadium in a much better location, TD looks great on TV and really showcases downtown Omaha, and the Zoo will get to grow and offer more for people to do in the future.

Rosenblatt was past its prime, and the Royals/Storm Chasers were going to leave sooner or later anyways.

Travel Squad
    27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

Progress is not always painless. Long live the relationship between Omaha and its signature event.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Scout Team

Here are some photos I have been taking as thing come down

The Blatt 2012 167 by nebugeater, on Flickr

The Blatt 2012 174 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Aug 2012 Rosenblatt -109 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Aug 2012 Rosenblatt -126 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Aug 17 Rosenblatt -101 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Aug 17 Rosenblatt -138 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Aug 22 2012 Rosenblatt-139 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Aug 22 2012 Rosenblatt-129 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Some more can be found here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nebugea...th/7856874278/

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Not an Omaha resident anymore, but for the life of me I cannot understand why they demolished a beautiful stadium that most of us remember fondly from our childhood in order two build not one but two new stadiums.
    Omaha only built one stadium. And stood a very good chance of losing the CWS. Rosenblatt was basically a dump (depsite the nostalgia). The new stadium is truly a gem and the CWS in downtown is a fantastic fit...despite what the doom and gloomers were trying to sell.

It's too bad they couldn't reach a deal with the Royals but their stadium has been great for them too. Win win.

Husker Fan

Drove by Rosenblatt from the south on 13th street the other day. Didn't occur to me until I was right there that I was coming up on the blatt...it was a little odd to see that part of the landscape gone.

Husker Immortal
    dust to dust

Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Drove by Rosenblatt from the south on 13th street the other day. Didn't occur to me until I was right there that I was coming up on the blatt...it was a little odd to see that part of the landscape gone.
    I'm interested to see what the drive is like coming into Omaha from CB on I-80. Should be a little jarring, looking to my left, and not seeing a stadium there anymore.

Scout Team

Well this isn't the view you were mentioning but the day that they blew up and dropped the press box to the ground here is what it looked like from across I80. THis was taken fromt he dirt lot near Jimmy John's and the Gas station. It looks even difforent now that most of the press box is demolished and the blue steal is down.

Aug 22 2012 Rosenblatt-136 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Travel Squad
    Bugeater,
    How do you post full size photos in the BBS?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Scout Team

I am using the code from my Flickr acount that is generated when I click on the share option on each photo. I just paste this into the text of my post here. I can choose the size I want to dislay when choosing the code. I I just use the photo incerting here and provide the link it is much smaller. I belive most photo hosting sites will have the same type of setup. I know photobucket does becasue I use it a bit too. If you need more detail send me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Bugeater,
    How do you post full size photos in the BBS?

Scout Team

Here are a few taken about noon on the 29th

Rosenblatt Aug 29 2012 -121 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Rosenblatt Aug 29 2012 -105 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Rosenblatt Aug 29 2012 -156 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Rosenblatt Aug 29 2012 -122 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Rosenblatt Aug 29 2012 -111 by nebugeater, on Flickr

Thanks for the pics. That first one is kind of surreal.

Message Board Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by Fromunda Cheese View Post
    Beautiful stadium? I grew up in South O and Rosenblatt, for lack of a better word, was a dump. One of my lasting memories is being in a restroom on the concourse during another 100 degree day and having the urine stench permeate the air. That is one thing I certainly won't miss!

For what its worth, the Storm Chasers are setting attendance records at Werner Park, and the CWS has never been better at TD Ameritrade...
    I agree. I attended a couple of Omaha Royals games at Rosenblatt. It did not hold a candle to the new AAA stadiums around the country.
    Progress. Two beautiful new parks.

Husker Immortal
    I enjoyed it in the 70's.

Recruit

It's a damn shame what became of the Blatt. It was more than fine, however, the deal between our "then" Mayor and the NCAA (ESPN) did it in.

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by AAL1006 View Post
    It's a damn shame what became of the Blatt. It was more than fine, however, the deal between our "then" Mayor and the NCAA (ESPN) did it in.
    Omaha put 10's of millions of dollars into that stadium towards the end of it's life. You can only slap so much lipstick on a pig. It lived it's life and served it's purpose. It was time for it to go and it was the right decision.

You act like a deal is a bad thing. The "deal" kept the CWS in Omaha for as far as the eye can see...and that was not going to happen in the blatt.