Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25

Thread: Tai Webster is N

  1. #16
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Clarita
    Posts
    11,187
    The fact that he didnt go to St Mary's is big...they have a huge presence in that part of the world and have had some really good teams....this is potentially exciting

  2. #17
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    45,994
    Quote Originally Posted by hpride1982 View Post
    So in your guy's opinion, are these three a step up in quality from what Doc brought in?
    I think they are all "3*" right? I know that doesn't hold as much weight in basketball recruiting as it does in football so, as someone else pointed out, it probably just as helpful to see who else had offered. In that regard it SEEMS like the quality of recruit is better so far.

    As we all know that's 1/2 of the equation. The next thing is can Miles coach? In the Big 10. And that's something we won't know for a couple years. Obviously I think most would know my GUESS: Miles has GOT to be an upgrade in the coaching aspect so I would certainly feel comfortable with expecting more out of the basketball program going forward.

    Unless NU nabs Agau they aren't likely to start getting the REALLY highly rated guys for a couple years at best (if ever). What NU needs is to recruit well....and coach/develop better than most others...and then hope that one or two of these guys pulls a Doug McDermott. i.e. ends up being way better than even their own father thought would be the case. If that happens great things could be in store.

  3. #18
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,563
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkman1 View Post
    I think Mr Miles just does his homework better!

    Doc found talent but he did not do the other important legwork, like making sure the clearinghouse people would allow the player to come in. You wait I bet this kid will get the ok to transfer here a lot quicker then all the waiting that we had to do under Doc.
    It is strange that Kansas hired him and gave him responsibility for the "basketball operations".

  4. #19
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I think they are all "3*" right? I know that doesn't hold as much weight in basketball recruiting as it does in football so, as someone else pointed out, it probably just as helpful to see who else had offered. In that regard it SEEMS like the quality of recruit is better so far.

    As we all know that's 1/2 of the equation. The next thing is can Miles coach? In the Big 10. And that's something we won't know for a couple years. Obviously I think most would know my GUESS: Miles has GOT to be an upgrade in the coaching aspect so I would certainly feel comfortable with expecting more out of the basketball program going forward.

    Unless NU nabs Agau they aren't likely to start getting the REALLY highly rated guys for a couple years at best (if ever). What NU needs is to recruit well....and coach/develop better than most others...and then hope that one or two of these guys pulls a Doug McDermott. i.e. ends up being way better than even their own father thought would be the case. If that happens great things could be in store.
    I agree....I would also argue that landing a kid of this caliber helps lure Agau a little bit. He is getting high marks from people, and it can help bring some hype away from Akoy. Now, we all know if Akoy commits he's going to be the face of the class, but if this kid is as good as some say he is, it makes it so you have a couple guys from this class expecting to be big contributors.

  5. #20
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    45,994
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    I agree....I would also argue that landing a kid of this caliber helps lure Agau a little bit. He is getting high marks from people, and it can help bring some hype away from Akoy. Now, we all know if Akoy commits he's going to be the face of the class, but if this kid is as good as some say he is, it makes it so you have a couple guys from this class expecting to be big contributors.
    I wonder if Agau isn't better off somewhere else. The expectations that are going to be put on him if he goes to Nebraska would probably border on unfair. Even if he was a good player I wonder if that will be good enough....I think some people would unrealistically put Lebron-like expectations on the guy. If he goes somewhere like UCONN those fans are used to pulling big recruits and won't be expecting him to be some kind of savior. That's a big burden.

  6. #21
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    I wonder if Agau isn't better off somewhere else. The expectations that are going to be put on him if he goes to Nebraska would probably border on unfair. Even if he was a good player I wonder if that will be good enough....I think some people would unrealistically put Lebron-like expectations on the guy. If he goes somewhere like UCONN those fans are used to pulling big recruits and won't be expecting him to be some kind of savior. That's a big burden.
    I agree - I could see the guy averaging a double-double but it be like 12 points 10 boards and it just not being quite good enough for first-team all-conference and fans wondering what all the hype was about. Akoy is going to be a great defensive player especially when he puts on a little more weight. But from what I saw last year his offensive skills need some work. Though I am hearing that he got a lot better this summer so we shall see. If Miles somehow lands this guy I will just shake my head wondering how but applaud in approval.

    We need Treshawn Thurman though - that guy will rack up some serious offers after this season.

  7. #22
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    45,994
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    I agree - I could see the guy averaging a double-double but it be like 12 points 10 boards and it just not being quite good enough for first-team all-conference and fans wondering what all the hype was about. Akoy is going to be a great defensive player especially when he puts on a little more weight. But from what I saw last year his offensive skills need some work. Though I am hearing that he got a lot better this summer so we shall see. If Miles somehow lands this guy I will just shake my head wondering how but applaud in approval.

    We need Treshawn Thurman though - that guy will rack up some serious offers after this season.
    If you could pick one of the two who would it be?

    On Akoy...i totally agree. I think he could be a defensive force instantly for Nebraska or whoever. I've only watched his state title games and based on those his offensive game is extremely limited (obviously I can't speak to what he's done since but I can't imagine it's progressed to Durant-like proportions). He's gonna have a hard to working on the inside against other centers that are going to be as big/bigger than him with his current skills. In that respect I think it's a few years before you see a guy that's going to start piling up points...and that will have people scratching their heads if they don't know better.

    How tall is he now? 6'9" I imagine he'll be a center in college. Any more it seems if your center can play good defense (make the paint a no-man's land for slashers) and rebound you're getting exactly what you need. If he can throw in 10-12 points on top of that you're way ahead of the game.

  8. #23
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    If you could pick one of the two who would it be?

    On Akoy...i totally agree. I think he could be a defensive force instantly for Nebraska or whoever. I've only watched his state title games and based on those his offensive game is extremely limited (obviously I can't speak to what he's done since but I can't imagine it's progressed to Durant-like proportions). He's gonna have a hard to working on the inside against other centers that are going to be as big/bigger than him with his current skills. In that respect I think it's a few years before you see a guy that's going to start piling up points...and that will have people scratching their heads if they don't know better.

    How tall is he now? 6'9" I imagine he'll be a center in college. Any more it seems if your center can play good defense (make the paint a no-man's land for slashers) and rebound you're getting exactly what you need. If he can throw in 10-12 points on top of that you're way ahead of the game.
    I would want Akoy, just because right now the 2013 class is Miles' first true class, and if you get a 4 star to come to Nebraska, no matter where he's from, that's a big deal. In regards to Akoy though, I think he'll play the 4 in college. I actually am somewhat impressed with him when he gets the ball outside or near the arc, his 3 point shot isn't anything i'd give him the green light on every time, but I wouldn't be afraid of him shooting it either. If he develops a medium range game like i've heard he is getting, he might not be as bad offensively as I was thinking, he's just not good with his back to the basket posted up right now. He is 6'9" and I could tell a definite increase in bulk from his sophomore to junior year, I haven't seen as much of that so far but some say his skills improved so who knows.

    Thurman is going to be interesting. The kid I believe was 6'6 last year, but has a size 17 shoe, he's going to grow a couple more inches since he is only going to be a Junior this year. He has an unbelievable 3 point shot and in a couple state tourney games he really came off the bench and provided a spark for Central with a couple blocks then a couple 3s all right when he got in the game. I have a feeling people will peg him as a 3 in college depending on how much he grows. I think his offers will come though, I know Chin was watching film of him at Central and asked Behrens what he thought (in regards to his D1 caliber) and the response was, not verbatim, but "he's not there now, but I think he will be". And we aren't talking about MVC or 1AA or anything, that's not a knock on those conferences, Chin was just asking if he could play in the Big 10. It all depends on how much you try to expose yourself in the summer circuit on how many colleges offer. We'll see how he does this year. With Central it's tough to tell just how good these kids are sometimes because each of their starters can average 15 then they'll have 2 or 3 guys coming off the bench averaging 7 or 8 a game. Hollins will go D1 in football if he doesn't pick basketball, the North transfer is a big time talent, and the other guy who's name escapes me is an unreal basketball talent as well.

    Another sleeper is the post from Omaha South (2014 class I believe), size 19 shoe so they think he's going to be closer to 6'10 or 6'11. There's some good basketball being played in downtown Omaha right now. And Miles will have some scholarships to play around with. I don't want to leave guys out from smaller areas either, I think we missed the boat on the kid from South Sioux and there are some great players in the state. Miles knows this, he recruited a ton of them to play at CSU. But this is a little bit more big time, and it seems he is at least in the right direction for things.

    It's funny to see the difference in recruiting strategies between Bo and Miles. Miles is so much more open, letting ESPN do a piece on how it works, using twitter, etc. Bo likes the close-knit family enviorment. I don't know if one is better than the other, and frankly, I think if Miles tried Bo's approach he would fail miserably since Nebraska's basketball reputation is slightly less than football. One things for sure, while this upcoming season could be challenging, i'm actually excited to see our 2013 team and what we can do. If we make an upset or two this year and he proves he can also coach, things may really start looking up.

    Wow, that was long-winded, glad I didn't actually say all of that....would need oxygen.

  9. #24
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    45,994
    From what I've heard...which is just around message boards and such...it seems like Thurman is going to be a big deal. Will be interesting to watch him over the next couple years.

  10. #25
    Travel Squad

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,955
    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    From what I've heard...which is just around message boards and such...it seems like Thurman is going to be a big deal. Will be interesting to watch him over the next couple years.
    With his size and how he can shoot the ball, he will get some bigger offers then Akoy in my opinion. Maybe a Mich State or school like that. You could tell watching him last year he hadn't quite grown into his body, clumsy is a little aggressive of a term but just still figuring out how to best use his body when jumping, running, etc. He's going to be real good. And he can be a role player and not be the man, or step up and start really turning heads. Either way I think suits him just fine.







Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •