Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican Senate Nominee: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    There is an effort in pro-life groups to minimize the number of women who get pregnant by rape, I think because that is because abortion in that situation is very widely supported, which undermines their effort to get a complete ban. So they exaggerate to come up with reasons why it isn't common. This is an example.

There might be a small kernel of truth to it, I'm not sure. I have seen some studies supporting the idea that women are much more likely to conceive if they are sexually excited, and even if their partner is very attractive (though I can't remember how they determined this). So the notion that if she didn't want sex she might be less likely to be conceived isn't crazy. I don't recall seeing anything directly on that point, however, so it might not be much of an effect if any.

In any case, getting from there to an idea that either there aren't enough rape-induced pregnancies to worry about, is really obnoxious.
    Yep, absolutely. As has been said earlier, this guy must just be a total moron. And since he's a moron representing my preferred party, its quite embarrassing.

Husker Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by McKinneyTXHusker View Post
    What about Biden's "put y'all back in chains" racist remark? Is that line of thought also not as isolated as people believe - or is that only true in your mind when speaking about Republicans?
    My statement was totally non-partisan, I believe Sen Biden's remark was ill advised and I am also looking forward to Nebraska's first game......in a non-legislative way of course.
    ​le veau d'or

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Yup and my honest opinion is this race is probably lost anyway after these remarks....regardless of who runs...so I agree.....
    Think you are wrong on this one. In my estimation Missouri is over Claire and would kick her to the curb, if the Republicans can dump this guy (remember the dems have already done this before) and get a passable Republican candidate she will lose. She was poised to lose big as it was.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by SamBass View Post
    My statement was totally non-partisan, I believe Sen Biden's remark was ill advised and I am also looking forward to Nebraska's first game......in a non-legislative way of course.
    Your statement was that the ignorant, sexist statement from a Republican candidate was "not as isolated as people believe", which is pretty darn partisan, whether you admit it or not. I haven't heard a single Republican here or in the media support his statement/position.

Junior Varsity
    "Claire, sometimes you just can't believe it when these things fall in your lap!"

Habitual Line Crosser
    Your statement was that the ignorant, sexist statement from a Republican candidate was "not as isolated as people believe", which is pretty darn partisan, whether you admit it or not. I haven't heard a single Republican here or in the media support his statement/position.
    I also haven't seen everyone flatly condemn this either

Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    You get so wrapped up in the proverbial "its all about me and my" that you loose not only your creditability but any resemblance of intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvahusker View Post
    I'm reaching the point of becoming a lunatic here

Thats not what he said he at all he never mentioned Republican or Democrats....you did.......your reading what you want into his statement with partisan glasses on yourself....

Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Red Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Lakewood Husker View Post
    Think you are wrong on this one. In my estimation Missouri is over Claire and would kick her to the curb, if the Republicans can dump this guy (remember the dems have already done this before) and get a passable Republican candidate she will lose. She was poised to lose big as it was.
    As someone living in the state, that's really not the case. Sure, if you ask people will you vote for McCaskill, over 50% will say no. You ask them will they vote for Akin (before what happened over the weekend), and you still probably get over 50%, but it's pretty close. The other top two losing candidates in the primary were turds, plain and simple. Akin's ads have had three points against McCaskill (other than her being to liberal for Missouri, of course), her vote on the healthcare act, her votes to raise the debt limit, and missing her tax payment on her plane. The debt limit is a non-starter for people who don't breathe through their mouth. So we're down to the healthcare vote and her non tax payment.

I can tell you this, she's traveled the state a lot more than our other senator (Roy Blunt), and Jim Talent (the guy who she beat 6 years ago). Just speaking for Missouri, she's done a pretty good job, and I would trust her more in Washington than I would any of her top 3 opponents on the Republican side.

Heisman

Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Thats not what he said he at all he never mentioned Republican or Democrats....you did.......your reading what you want into his statement with partisan glasses on yourself....
    You're right - he didn't mention - but he certainly implied. And going back through the Biden thread, I sure don't see a similar statement made there. Sorry, but its definitely a partisan statement.

Junior Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    As someone living in the state, that's really not the case. Sure, if you ask people will you vote for McCaskill, over 50% will say no. You ask them will they vote for Akin (before what happened over the weekend), and you still probably get over 50%, but it's pretty close. The other top two losing candidates in the primary were turds, plain and simple. Akin's ads have had three points against McCaskill (other than her being to liberal for Missouri, of course), her vote on the healthcare act, her votes to raise the debt limit, and missing her tax payment on her plane. The debt limit is a non-starter for people who don't breathe through their mouth. So we're down to the healthcare vote and her non tax payment.

I can tell you this, she's traveled the state a lot more than our other senator (Roy Blunt), and Jim Talent (the guy who she beat 6 years ago). Just speaking for Missouri, she's done a pretty good job, and I would trust her more in Washington than I would any of her top 3 opponents on the Republican side.
    You may think she has done a good job but she polled 11 points behind Akin last week. She may well be liked in the Porkchop household but some of the polling i have seen and some of my family that live in Missouri don't really like her.

She was going to lose and probably lose by 5-10 points as Obama was going to be destroyed in Missouri. The healthcare issue is huge and you should know how much it is hated in Missouri.

The Republicans need to do a democrat special like what they did in New Jersey in 2002 and dump the candidate and put someone else in there.

And yet he said he didn't...I take him at his word as I would you if you said so in the same circumstances....but that is me...

Partisan....if you say so....

You're right - he didn't mention - but he certainly implied. And going back through the Biden thread, I sure don't see a similar statement made there. Sorry, but its definitely a partisan statement.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Red Shirt

You may think she has done a good job but she polled 11 points behind Akin last week. She may well be liked in the Porkchop household but some of the polling i have seen and some of my family that live in Missouri don't really like her.

She was going to lose and probably lose by 5-10 points as Obama was going to be destroyed in Missouri. The healthcare issue is huge and you should know how much it is hated in Missouri.

The Republicans need to do a democrat special like what they did in New Jersey in 2002 and dump the candidate and put someone else in there.
    She polled 11 points back of a guy who's been campaigning for the past two to three months in a primary, so of course he's going to have a little higher bump, especially since Akin's base was all riled up from what was a come from behind victory in the primary. Like I said, I have no doubt that over 50% of Missourians would say they are not voting for McCaskill, but when that question is asked with a specific opponent in mind, the numbers start to get closer, and McCaskill has just now started to ramp up campaigning (since she ran unapposed in the primary). I'll stand by the belief that Akin's gaffe pretty much gift-wrapped the election to McCaskill, because if he stays in the race, he'll never be able to live that phrase down, and the other top candidates weren't going to excite people on a wide scale in the state.

This certainly adds another chapter to the old war on women narrative.

Junior Varsity
    Rove pulling his Super Pac out of Missouri. sen Johnson and brown call for him to drop out, Sen Cornyn basically said for him to drop. I bet by the end of the day he will be gone.....

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Rove pulling his Super Pac out of Missouri. sen Johnson and brown call for him to drop out, Sen Cornyn basically said for him to drop. I bet by the end of the day he will be gone.....
    It's good to see Republicans calling out and putting pressure on one of their own for saying something stupid. I'm wondering why elected Democrats don't do the same thing when someone like Biden says something stupid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]