Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: comparing the mens and womens soccer teams

comparing the mens and womens soccer teams

This was brought up in Simmons mailbag....soccer people what do you think?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ega-bag-part-2

Q: Can you write something about how men's soccer players need to sack up and play like the women do? The women literally beat the stank out of each other, get up without a tear shed (maybe a black eye here or there). You don't see any of this "lying around pretending my leg is broken now I'm gonna run around on it for the next 90 minutes no problem" crap I've never been more interested in watching women's soccer in my life and care less about men's soccer.
    — John K., Jersey B

SG: You're preaching to the choir, my friend. Abby Wambach is tougher than anyone in the MLS — she runs around like a cross between Troy Polamalu and Clint Eastwood circa 1973. Totally fearless. When she gets knocked down, she gets up … and if she doesn't get up right away, you know she actually got hurt. For this and a couple of reasons (success + likability + Alex Morgan), you could make a pretty good case that our U.S. women's soccer team is as popular as, and maybe even a smidge more popular than, our men's soccer team. Who could have imagined that one??? We need to schedule both teams playing important qualifiers at the exact same time and see which one gets a better TV rating. I really want to know. I have the women's team as a 0.5-point rating favorite. And that might be low.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw11 View Post
    This was brought up in Simmons mailbag....soccer people what do you think?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ega-bag-part-2

Q: Can you write something about how men's soccer players need to sack up and play like the women do? The women literally beat the stank out of each other, get up without a tear shed (maybe a black eye here or there). You don't see any of this "lying around pretending my leg is broken now I'm gonna run around on it for the next 90 minutes no problem" crap I've never been more interested in watching women's soccer in my life and care less about men's soccer.
    — John K., Jersey B

SG: You're preaching to the choir, my friend. Abby Wambach is tougher than anyone in the MLS — she runs around like a cross between Troy Polamalu and Clint Eastwood circa 1973. Totally fearless. When she gets knocked down, she gets up … and if she doesn't get up right away, you know she actually got hurt. For this and a couple of reasons (success + likability + Alex Morgan), you could make a pretty good case that our U.S. women's soccer team is as popular as, and maybe even a smidge more popular than, our men's soccer team. Who could have imagined that one??? We need to schedule both teams playing important qualifiers at the exact same time and see which one gets a better TV rating. I really want to know. I have the women's team as a 0.5-point rating favorite. And that might be low.

I assume since this was a mailbag on Grantland that it's Simmons responding, so a some of what he wrote is tongue in cheek. For all the success the US Women have had, there is no way they would beat out the US Men in a head to head tv showdown. Biggest reason is that women typically don't watch sports unless it's a big event, and if you made guys who would watch soccer to decide between a men's or women's game, they would choose a men's game nearly every time, assuming the games were of equal importance. Sure the women's world cup or gold medal finals would both beat out a men's friendly against Cuba. I am a big fan of the womens team, and have enjoyed watching this team, and I agree Wambach is though, but she's also the biggest girl on the field whenever they play. That helps a little. The diving comment is a bit misguided though, because the men's team is probably one of the few that really doesn't dive as a way of gamesmenship.

With that said, the women have been fun to watch, and obviously winning is a lot more fun to watch.

Varsity
    Neither US team really does any diving. And, there are plenty of other women's teams that do... (Brazil, World Cup 2011 is the best example).

We enjoy watching both teams whenever they are on and are quite frustrated that the women sometimes have streaming (at best) while men minor friendlies are on ESPN or ESPN2. I'm likely biased because I have a daughter who plays the sport. But, when you see pool or poker on ESPN and you are forced to watch the WNT on a blurry Universal Sports feed, something is just wrong.

On the plus side, the next two women's friendlies are on NBC - so if you want to increase exposure overall, make sure to watch those matches!!!

Well said....

I love both teams....

And no we do not dive...not an American thing....

Quote Originally Posted by BGRed View Post
    Neither US team really does any diving. And, there are plenty of other women's teams that do... (Brazil, World Cup 2013 is the best example).

We enjoy watching both teams whenever they are on and are quite frustrated that the women sometimes have streaming (at best) while men minor friendlies are on ESPN or ESPN2. I'm likely biased because I have a daughter who plays the sport. But, when you see pool or poker on ESPN and you are forced to watch the WNT on a blurry Universal Sports feed, something is just wrong.

On the plus side, the next two women's friendlies are on NBC - so if you want to increase exposure overall, make sure to watch those matches!!!
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Husker Immortal
    I admittedly don't watch a lot of soccer, but I generally find the women's game to be more exciting than the men.
    "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less." C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by BGRed View Post
    Neither US team really does any diving. And, there are plenty of other women's teams that do... (Brazil, World Cup 2013 is the best example).
    are you back from the future?

Varsity
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    are you back from the future?
    Fixed it...

Red Shirt
    I enjoy watching both sides, but because of better pace and usually more skill, I enjoy the mens game more. In the mens game it just seems more guys have better ball control and are overall better distributors and that possession is much more valuable to the overall success of the team. By no means am I saying the women don't have skill, but their scoring opportunities usually seem to come easier as the game is 'messier'. Wambach was talking about a beautiful game being played in the gold medal match - while I think it was great entertainment, I don't think it was a beautiful game. Far too many turnovers with goal opportunities coming on scramble plays, just launching the ball ahead to Wambach or Morgan and letting them create or on set pieces - which is normally how the team scores. Megan Rapinoe is a very good wing and has excellent touch on the ball from either side of the pitch, but the WNT doesn't have anyone else like her. Carli Lloyd, Lauren Cheney, and Tobin Heath are above average but they all seem to have poor passing ability and ball control as they often lose the ball far too easily. The WNT is excellent up front, decent in the back four, but often our midfield is the weak point. Also if Solo doesn't shut her yap, I may stop watching for awhile. She was talking after the game how much this was a team effort, but yet everything is always and only about her... kinda ironic.

Either way, say both teams were playing WC qualifying matches within a week of each other... my guess would be the men would get better ratings just because they have the greater chance of losing. The WNT have proved they are easily a top 3 team in World, if not the best, so a qualifying match where they'll win 4-1 or 3-0 isn't going to excite a lot of people. And if the men would ever make a run through the WC, they would blow any previous rating out of the water.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"The last 11 days we focused on Nebraska," said Snyder, "and now I know more about them than I want to."

Quote Originally Posted by huskon4ever! View Post
    I enjoy watching both sides, but because of better pace and usually more skill, I enjoy the mens game more. In the mens game it just seems more guys have better ball control and are overall better distributors and that possession is much more valuable to the overall success of the team. By no means am I saying the women don't have skill, but their scoring opportunities usually seem to come easier as the game is 'messier'. Wambach was talking about a beautiful game being played in the gold medal match - while I think it was great entertainment, I don't think it was a beautiful game. Far too many turnovers with goal opportunities coming on scramble plays, just launching the ball ahead to Wambach or Morgan and letting them create or on set pieces - which is normally how the team scores. Megan Rapinoe is a very good wing and has excellent touch on the ball from either side of the pitch, but the WNT doesn't have anyone else like her. Carli Lloyd, Lauren Cheney, and Tobin Heath are above average but they all seem to have poor passing ability and ball control as they often lose the ball far too easily. The WNT is excellent up front, decent in the back four, but often our midfield is the weak point. Also if Solo doesn't shut her yap, I may stop watching for awhile. She was talking after the game how much this was a team effort, but yet everything is always and only about her... kinda ironic.

Either way, say both teams were playing WC qualifying matches within a week of each other... my guess would be the men would get better ratings just because they have the greater chance of losing. The WNT have proved they are easily a top 3 team in World, if not the best, so a qualifying match where they'll win 4-1 or 3-0 isn't going to excite a lot of people. And if the men would ever make a run through the WC, they would blow any previous rating out of the water.
    Solid post. I agree with you on the attacking style of the US Women. There's nothing wrong with creating chaos in the box, and hoping Wambach powers her way to the ball, or it falls to the feat (or head) of Morgan. The women can play that way, because against nearly every other national team, they are going to be stronger, and probably faster as well. Unfortunately, the US Men don't have that luxury. The overall athleticism of the US women make up for their sloppy play in midfield. What stands out the most is the turnover in the US defensive 3rd in the 88th (?) minute in the gold medal game. Only reason why that wasn't a goal was because Solo is such a good athlete. Most other women's teams don't have a a keeper that athletic.

Red Shirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Solid post. I agree with you on the attacking style of the US Women. There's nothing wrong with creating chaos in the box, and hoping Wambach powers her way to the ball, or it falls to the feat (or head) of Morgan. The women can play that way, because against nearly every other national team, they are going to be stronger, and probably faster as well. Unfortunately, the US Men don't have that luxury. The overall athleticism of the US women make up for their sloppy play in midfield. What stands out the most is the turnover in the US defensive 3rd in the 88th (?) minute in the gold medal game. Only reason why that wasn't a goal was because Solo is such a good athlete. Most other women's teams don't have a a keeper that athletic.
    Thanks. Yeah the athleticism is a huge factor as well. Its amazing that Wambach is only 5'11'' as she looks like a 7 footer next to most other players. Our back 4 are going to have to find a few players in the next few years as Mitts said she is done and with Rampone (who is probably our steadiest defender) being 37 I doubt she'll be around much longer.
    The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left.

"The last 11 days we focused on Nebraska," said Snyder, "and now I know more about them than I want to."