Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: What Huskers Must Stay Healthy for a Successful Season?

What Huskers Must Stay Healthy for a Successful Season?

Every team has injuries, but what Huskers must stay healthy for a successful Season?
    Rex Burkhead is a given, but who else?

I wrote an article about the 5 Players Huskers Cannot Afford to Lose to Injury in 2012

If you have time, check it out and see if you agree.

On Twitter @HuskerMagic

Tyler Moore

Blackshirt
    In order of importance at this point:

1. Sirles
    2. Qvale
    3. Martinez
    4. Burkhead
    5. any starter not named in the top 4.

Scout Team

1. Martinez
    2. Compton
    3. Steinkuler
    4. Burkhead
    5. Bell

1) All of them

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerMagic View Post
    Every team has injuries, but what Huskers must stay healthy for a successful Season?
    Rex Burkhead is a given, but who else?

I wrote an article about the 5 Players Huskers Cannot Afford to Lose to Injury in 2012

If you have time, check it out and see if you agree.

On Twitter @HuskerMagic
    Hard to argue a lot with your list. Assuming Moore is gone, the OT position becomes an area where injuries could really set the Huskers back. Given the depth at I-back NU might be able to handle losing Burkhead better than some other players, though I certainly don't want that to happen. My list is heavy on offense because I think that's the area where we are generally weakest.

1. Compton--He played really well at the end of last year, but I list him first not because he's the best player on D but because this is the thinnest spot on defense and he's the guy that makes the calls.

2. Martinez--Love him or hate him, he's a key to the Huskers' success this year. The depth is probably better than it has been in a while, but there's very very little experience after Martinez. The younger guys need to be on the field more this year to remedy that. BTW, I'm cautiously optimist about Martinez partly because I don't think he's been completely healthy since the first half of the Mizzou game in 2010 when he played pretty well coming off the great game he had against Okie Lite.

3. Qvale/Sirles/ARod--Cheating a little, but any injuries here leave NU very thin. Sterup would likely be next in line. Would he be ready?

4.Burkhead--We have depth but it's hard to replace Superman.

5. Kenny Bell--The WR corp is pretty solid but Bell is the big play guy that stretches the field.

My next three would have gone back to the defensive side with Steinkuhler, Stafford and Meredith.

Husker Fan

Martinez is the obvious choice. MAYBE we'd be pleasantly surprised by Carnes or whoever but that's not something I want to find out by necessity!

From there I'd go with the whole offensive line.

Blackshirt
    Brett Maher
    Train Insane or Stay the Same! @TheRedOne80

No one has said Read or Cotton (TE) but we are also very thin at TE and i think Cotton is a great blocker and helps the running game more than he gets credit for.

Green- we saw last year how important it is to have lock down CB's and althought we have 4 or 5 compeeting he is the best as of today.

Any OL- i want no excuses if our line doesnt do their job- and if the excuse is Moore left the program- well then as a coach you needed to adress the issue before it happened!

All Big 10
    My blackshirt shirt collection...
    I am Fred Lawrence Anderson and I approve this post.

Scout Team
    Your English teacher would deduct points for the title.

"Which" Huskers Must Stay Healthy... not "what."

Also, you included the starting quarterback and starting running back. I would venture that about 85% of teams would fall off the wagon if they lost both guys in the starting backfield. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Blackshirt
    We Husker fans have taken the kicker position for granted for a looooong time - really been spoiled with Alex the Great and now Maher -- I think we'd be screwed big time if Brett gets hurt.

Scout Team
    Quote Originally Posted by Red93 View Post
    We Husker fans have taken the kicker position for granted for a looooong time - really been spoiled with Alex the Great and now Maher -- I think we'd be screwed big time if Brett gets hurt.
    (Lee Corso voice): Not so fast, my friend. We still have Mauro Bondi, who is actually on scholarship if I remember correctly. Even Henery didn't earn a schollie until later in his Husker career, after proving that he was an assassin. For Bondi to get a schollie right out of high school is a rare thing.

Blackshirt
    I watched Bondi kick in pre-game warmups vs Washington - Color me unimpressed - I hope he surprises the crap out of me if given the opportunity

Red Shirt

martinez has taken about 1600+ snaps from center, you just cant replace that type of experience, the players behind burkhead are more predictible than the players behind martinez, thats for sure. I wish them all well, we need the backups to stay ready, we will need all of them at some point.
    That gov't is best, which governs least -- Thomas Paine