Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does this happen?

pray for me ;)

How does this happen?

U.S. Navy ship collides with oil tanker in Gulf

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) – One of the U.S. Navy's guided-missile destroyers suffered minor damage when it collided with an oil tanker early Sunday just outside the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

The collision left a gaping hole in the starboard side of USS Porter but no one was injured on either vessel, the U.S. Navy said in a statement. The collision with the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at approximately 1 a.m. local time.

The cause of the incident is under investigation, the Navy said, adding that there were no reports of spills or leakages from either the USS Porter or the Otowasan.
    The USS Porter is on a scheduled deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet, which is based in Bahrain.
    The Strait of Hormuz, located at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, is where one-fifth of the world's oil is routed. Tensions have risen there over Iran's threats to block tanker traffic in retaliation for tighter sanctions by the West.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    U.S. Navy ship collides with oil tanker in Gulf

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) – One of the U.S. Navy's guided-missile destroyers suffered minor damage when it collided with an oil tanker early Sunday just outside the strategic Strait of Hormuz.

The collision left a gaping hole in the starboard side of USS Porter but no one was injured on either vessel, the U.S. Navy said in a statement. The collision with the Panamanian-flagged bulk oil tanker M/V Otowasan occurred at approximately 1 a.m. local time.

The cause of the incident is under investigation, the Navy said, adding that there were no reports of spills or leakages from either the USS Porter or the Otowasan.
    The USS Porter is on a scheduled deployment to the U.S. 5th Fleet, which is based in Bahrain.
    The Strait of Hormuz, located at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, is where one-fifth of the world's oil is routed. Tensions have risen there over Iran's threats to block tanker traffic in retaliation for tighter sanctions by the West.
    Just another attempt to raise gas prices.

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuckIt View Post
    Just another attempt to raise gas prices.
    ...or to pump even more money into the military.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

All Legend

That's an extremely crowded area of water, but for various reasons, the tankers really speed around there (mainly they want to maintain a schedule... no different than ground based truckers). An oil tanker at 35 knots covers ground faster than anyone realizes.

At 1am, visibility can be bad not just because of the dark, but also because confusing backlighting of the coast or other vessels in the area. Also, you generally have a junior team running the ship at that time.

But, usually it's a series of small errors... if they collided starboard to starboard, they may have been trying to pass each other, but failed to maintain proper separation... tough to say.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    That's an extremely crowded area of water, but for various reasons, the tankers really speed around there (mainly they want to maintain a schedule... no different than ground based truckers). An oil tanker at 35 knots covers ground faster than anyone realizes.

At 1am, visibility can be bad not just because of the dark, but also because confusing backlighting of the coast or other vessels in the area. Also, you generally have a junior team running the ship at that time.

But, usually it's a series of small errors... if they collided starboard to starboard, they may have been trying to pass each other, but failed to maintain proper separation... tough to say.
    The easier answer is that it shouldn't happen.

All Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    The easier answer is that it shouldn't happen.
    Of course it shouldn't.

No accident should happen.

But, occasionally, they do.

The senior command staff will be relieved, I'm sure.
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

"If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

“A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

All Legend
    The Captain was probably texting.

Yep, that captain can kiss his dreams of getting that rear admiral's star goodbye.

Scout Team
    Like two ships passing int the night!
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music!

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker in Spokane View Post
    Like two ships passing int the night!
    Well, almost passing.

Oh my!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Oh my!
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." Ayn Rand

"Hillary has been cheated on more than a blind woman playing Scrabble. With gypsies." Dennis Miller

Oh my!

Oh my!

Oh my!

Oh my!

Oh my!

All Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_in_Blue_Land View Post

Sick!

Husker Immortal
    Humphrey Bogart did it in "The Caine Mutiny"; well he cut his own cable but it could just as easy been a ship.

Oh my!
    Quote Originally Posted by huskernut View Post
    Sick!
    Kind of like David and Goliath except the slingshot just isn't going to do it this time...