Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello Husker Fans!

Red Shirt
    Welcome to the board! Picked a fine time to hop into the ruckus!!

Husker Immortal
    Quote Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
    Well I decided after I jumped it to the Tyler Moore thread, which incidently is why I finally jumped on the bandwagon with a 3yr membership, that I should introduce myself.

I grew up in Northeast Kansas, Sabetha to be precise. I was in high school when Nebraska was running off National Titles in the 90's! I was lucky enough to be recruited by Nebraska in football as a d-tackle and a thrower for the track team as a shot putter. In the end, I decided to attend KU and throw the shot put, but I never turned my back on Husker football! Actually I would have attended Nebraska for track but I didn't connect well with the throws coach in the little bit of time that I got to spend with him, which is to bad because after getting to know him better throughout the course of competing I really came to like him. By the way, the Indoor Husker Invite is in my opinion the top indoor event in the country.

I am very much a defense first guy, so naturally I hated the Callahan hiring and loved the Pelini hiring. I still feel like Pelini was a good hire and fit for Nebraska and think he is on the verge of getting us back into the national discussion. Being a defensive guy I am not to sure about our 'multiple' offense, but I am willing to give it 3 years to see what becomes of it. The biggest draw back I see from that style of offense, especially if you are constantly running it as hurry up, is that you can just as easily wear your own defense out as quickly as the other teams.

I usually don't have many nice things to say to the tv when I see Martinez throw the ball, although he looked better on the BTN piece last night, but I am willing to give him and the coaches the benefit of the doubt for one more year. I truly want the work he did this summer to payoff for him and the team, he doesn't have to be Chase Daniel but if he can just be an ongoing threat to complete 60%+ of his passes that will loosen things up significantly for our offense.

I was highly disappointed with our defense last season. Maybe Bo got distracted trying to make sure the offense got installed and that his first time o-coordinator didn't drown, but I sure hope he gets his focus back on defense this year. In high school, we ran a similar gap scheme defense and we very successful doing so, but we had a little different mentality along the lines. It was our goal to meet the o-line at the line of scrimmage and stalemate them or drive them back a yard while making our read. I feel like the huskers have been to passive along the d-line when making there reads, I hope that is what Bo and Coach K have been talking about by being more aggressive. I am all for the 2 gap scheme, but lets take the fight to the offensive line and then make the read.

Looking forward to contributing to the site that I have been lurking on for so long.

Ryan
    Welcome to the board.

Junior Varsity
    Welcome aboard.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. - Robert A. Heinlein

Blackshirt
    Welcome also!

Founding Father
    Great "Obligatory first post introduction", nice read, thanks for joining. BBR

Welcome, sir!

8 man footbal alum
    Welcome aboard, nice post.
    "Gentlemen, this is a football" - Coach Lombardi
    "Winning isn't everything here at Nebraska as Coach Devaney used to say...but we do rate it right up there with oxygen." - Johnny Rodgers

Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Red Shirt
    Welcome to the MAX
    Steve
    bentNblue