Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Armchair Analyst: Grading the Klinsmann era one year in

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112,533

    Exclamation Armchair Analyst: Grading the Klinsmann era one year in

    I think the author pretty much nails it.....

    Hope they have Jason Kries on speed dial....



    Overall: (C-) Ė Every single one of these faults were visible in the two qualifiers, which are the only games under Klinsmann that have really mattered. And Iím not certain thereís been much, if any, improvement in the past year.

    But itís a long haul. Klinsmann was hired with 2014 in mind, not 2012. So letís just buckle in and see how the next two months go, and hope that, eventually, Klinsmannís teams figure out how to let the ball do the work.

    Read the rest of a detailed article here: Tactics: (C) Expansion of the player pool: (B-) Use of the player pool (D)

    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...n-era-one-year
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  2. #2
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    45,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Reign View Post
    Hope they have Jason Kries on speed dial....

    Originally from Omaha. All State as a frosh at Burke and I believe that was when burke was grades 10-12. It would be kind of cool to have that connection to the national team.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112,533
    Best American coach on the planet too boot...

    We used to talk Husker football with him after the RSL games in the fall when we would hang around for autographs....as nice off the field as he is intense on it...


    Quote Originally Posted by bilsker View Post
    Originally from Omaha. All State as a frosh at Burke and I believe that was when burke was grades 10-12. It would be kind of cool to have that connection to the national team.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  4. #4
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,511
    I'm more interested in his expansion of the talent pool. It would be nice if US Soccer had all these diamonds in the rough in their mid-20's that Klinsmann discovered, but unfortunately that's not the case. So the talent pool has been expanded, and probably upgraded with guys in their late teens and early 20's. Hopefully that pays off, like the writer said, in 2014.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112,533
    Right now this team and coach would struggle to get out of the group stage in Brazil in 2014...if your okay with that then fine....Hopefully is the key right now.... Klinsy would have already been fired with the results he has produced for $2.5M a year if we were England or Germany.....like I have said for the past month or so....where is the progress under Klinsman? And the writer nails that too....

    Expansion of the talent pool is great, but as he pointed out use of the player pool sucks....




    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I'm more interested in his expansion of the talent pool. It would be nice if US Soccer had all these diamonds in the rough in their mid-20's that Klinsmann discovered, but unfortunately that's not the case. So the talent pool has been expanded, and probably upgraded with guys in their late teens and early 20's. Hopefully that pays off, like the writer said, in 2014.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  6. #6
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,511
    Well I'm sure use of the pool will improve when Team USA starts playing in more important games. I'll jump on that bandwagon if Klinsmann is still picking similar rosters in important qualifiers. As of now, these grades are based on a lot of friendlies and a couple of WC qualifiers. Wake me up if Team USA gets 3 or fewer points from their upcoming home/home matchup with Jamaica.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112,533
    There is nothing after one year to show any improvement nor that Klinsman is a quality coach at this level....then again that was already a fact before he was hired. As Dotsee has pointed out many times he could not get a job in Germany right now if he paid his own salary. They understand that he is not a a top-flight head coach. Yet we paid him four times what Bob Bradley was making.....$600K as opposed to $2.5M....and Bradley was a proven club coach....and now national team coach.....

    What you are missing is CONCACAF is set up for Mexico and the USA to qualify and advance to the World Cup. That is a a GIVEN.

    You mean like the three points we got got against Guatamala in that 1-1 draw? Jamaica is a better team than Guatamala and we open our away home series with them on the road. Klinsman inspires no confidence that he can get the job done.

    My point, and I stand by it, is this team would struggle to get out of the group stage of the World Cup.....that is not good enough anymore in my opinion....espically when we are paying top dollar for a coach who had an 'iffy' resume coming in and has done nothing to advance the national team. One could even argue we have taken a step backwards. If this were England or Germany he would be gone.

    If your okay with that then so be it....



    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Well I'm sure use of the pool will improve when Team USA starts playing in more important games. I'll jump on that bandwagon if Klinsmann is still picking similar rosters in important qualifiers. As of now, these grades are based on a lot of friendlies and a couple of WC qualifiers. Wake me up if Team USA gets 3 or fewer points from their upcoming home/home matchup with Jamaica.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  8. #8
    Guest

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Just east of KC
    Posts
    2,511
    Hell, I was happy as can be with the 2010 WC showing, but lets be honest, Team USA struggled to get out of the group stage two years ago, so lets not act like Klinsmann took over this international powerhouse. Besides, you can't say for sure if Team USA could get out of the group stage, because we have no idea who they'll be playing. They could be the 9th best team in the world, but get left out of Pot A, and get stuck with the group of death. It's all pure speculation right now.

    You're right, US Soccer overpaid for Klinsmann, but that's not Klinsmann's fault, and with that type of money it'll take an epic fail on his part to be fired before the 2014 World Cup, so there's not much that complaining will do for another two years.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Red Reign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    112,533
    As the 36th ranked team in the world we will be lucky to get a 3-seed in a group stage....and the way this team has performed under Klinsy I stand by what I said we will strugle to get out of the group....

    Overpaid indeed...he is not worth what we paid...for that money get a Jose Mourinho....your right its on Sunil Gulati...and he needs to go when Klinsman does...

    To me we have top coaches in this country already....Jason Kries being the leader of the pack....


    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Hell, I was happy as can be with the 2010 WC showing, but lets be honest, Team USA struggled to get out of the group stage two years ago, so lets not act like Klinsmann took over this international powerhouse. Besides, you can't say for sure if Team USA could get out of the group stage, because we have no idea who they'll be playing. They could be the 9th best team in the world, but get left out of Pot A, and get stuck with the group of death. It's all pure speculation right now.

    You're right, US Soccer overpaid for Klinsmann, but that's not Klinsmann's fault, and with that type of money it'll take an epic fail on his part to be fired before the 2014 World Cup, so there's not much that complaining will do for another two years.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

  10. #10
    Husker Fan

    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    40,474
    2 wins on away soil (Italy and Mexico)

    I'd give a couple points for this.





Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •