Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PGA Championship

Husker Immortal
    slow and steady recovery

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ThotDoc View Post
    Whereas at the start of his career when Tiger had the lead at the beginning of the 3rd or 4th round, he would never lose, now it seems when he gets in position, he presses and plays stupid at times.
    The 3rd hole today was a good example IMO. Totally drivable par 4 and he plays iron off the tee. Blows it over the green with his wedge and saves par. But had he gone for it there's little chance he'd have been in a worse position hitting his second than he actually was hitting his 3rd.

That said he's back to -4. 5 shots back of McIlroy...who is playing very well. But so was Adam Scott at the british so you never know. Tiger needs to find a way to get to -7 and hope for the best. That stretch yesterday simply killed him. Had he played the first 7 holes or so even he'd be at 7 now and probably in the group with McIlroy. That round getting suspended did help.

Carl Pettersson took a 2 stroke penalty on the first after they reviewed the video...they didn't tell him til a couple holes later...he's hung tough since getting the news. Poulter is on fire today. He and Pettersson are the best chance to beat Rory.

pray for me ;)
    McIlroy running away with the tourney. Tiger didn't play very well once again on the weekend of a big time tournament.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

Husker Fan

Rory dusted the field in the last 2 rounds. 75 in the 2nd round kept it from being even more of a laugher (although that was still 3 strokes better than the field). Looks like he's got the game to pile up some major titles. Only 23 years old.

Husker Fan

Rory hits about a 12 footer for par on 17. The guy is putting like a witch.

Husker Immortal
    Rory is the man this year. Congrats and loved that red shirt.

Husker Immortal
    Rory whipped the field on the weekend going -11 while Tiger went +2, a 13 shot swing on Saturday and Sunday.

Okay, I'll say it.......I can't see Tiger getting to 19 Majors, let alone tying Jack with 18.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

Gunga galunga. Gunga....
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoREDo View Post
    McIlroy running away with the tourney. Tiger didn't play very well once again on the weekend of a big time tournament.
    Tiger's best attribute back in his glory years, other than ball striking, was the ability to concentrate and block out all else but the decided great shot. Once he lost that, he was transformed into "one of the best golfers in the PGA" rather than "arguably the best of all time". Tiger's game really went down to human levels when his father died. The mental toughness was gone. One sees it most every tournament he plays now. That ability to rise above a below average day is gone. I actually think he might regain it, but it will come with maturity........something he hasn't had to develop in the past due to many reasons, most understated was his father's presence and guidance.
    Nebraska fans, this is called someone in your conference having your back…welcome to the Big Ten. - HawkeyeNation

Husker Fan

Weird as it might sound...I think one of tiger's problems might be confidence. Weird because the guy has never lacked that particular trait.

I think he's standing over these short putts that in the past he could have made with a 5 wood and is unsure he's going to make them.

When one guy beats the field by 8 strokes that's just his week. You don't often see two guys lap the field like that so this week was simply going to be Rory's week. And no, Tiger hasn't won a major this year...but he's been right there in three of them. Take Rory out of this tourney and Tiger is 3 back of the leaders. Tied for 3rd at the British (3 strokes back). Finished 5 strokes back at the US. The Masters was the one where he was never in it.

So he wins three tournaments so far this year (most on tour). A couple top 10s in majors. Leads in money. Lead Fex Ex cup points. Ranked 2nd in the world. Based on his freakish run about 10 years ago people act as if he can't put the ball in play. But the fact of the matter is if you go back to the last 3 majors you could probably find a MINIMUM of 1 putt per round that he never would have missed a few years ago. My point is when he starts hitting those again (if he does...some guys get the yips and never lose 'em) you may well see that confidence go through the roof again.

Getting to 19 may or may not happen. But using jack as the standard, he has about 10 years left (and he's in way better physical condition than jack...Vijay is pushing 50 and contended this week and he keeps himself fit). I wouldn't bet against Tiger winning a major every couple years over that stretch.

Husker Immortal
    Tiger putted freakishly well in the 2nd round, but on the weekend he couldn't get anything to drop. On the first 5 holes today, he could have been 5 under....and then it seemed it was over.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious." -- Vince Lombardi

IMO, Tiger looks like he's putting to avoid the 5 foot comebackers. The old Tiger put birdie putts off the back of the cup, now it looks like he's trying to guide 'em in.
    nm57

Husker Fan

Quote Originally Posted by joestrummer View Post
    IMO, Tiger looks like he's putting to avoid the 5 foot comebackers. The old Tiger put birdie putts off the back of the cup, now it looks like he's trying to guide 'em in.
    Good point