Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Erstad [Finally] Signs Contract

Travel Squad

Erstad [Finally] Signs Contract

Nebraska baseball coach Darin Erstad, who was without a contract last season, signed a four-year deal that will pay him $163,200 annually.
    http://www.omaha.com/article/20120809/BIGRED/708109997
    Bonus Structure
    National Title: $40,800
    CWS: $27,200
    Big Ten Champ: $20,400
    NCAA Tourney: $13,600

That's right, $40,800 to do something that has never been done while playing in the worst conference in the country.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Husker Fan

Erstad is already set for life financially. why ask for more when he doesn't even need it and the Athletic Department could use it? Erstad is not selfish.

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    Erstad is already set for life financially. why ask for more when he doesn't even need it and the Athletic Department could use it? Erstad is not selfish.
    If that is the case, 57, than good for both Osborne and the NU athletics program.

But then why have a bonus system at all?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    Bonus Structure
    National Title: $40,800
    CWS: $27,200
    Big Ten Champ: $20,400
    NCAA Tourney: $13,600

That's right, $40,800 to do something that has never been done while playing in the worst conference in the country.
    I think the bonus structure is standardized and very similar for all coaches. i.e. I think Bo gets similar for a National Title, BCS Game, Conference Championship, and Bowl Game.

Husker Immortal
    They could have made it a $5 million dollar bonus without much worry.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do…
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Red Shirt

on the field, erstad is bo pelini with spikes, he is exactly the guy we need leading the charge for our baseball team, intense, accountable, ethical. He will be successful here, maybe not natl title, but he will get us to the final 8 plenty of times before he is done. hopefully a few CWS appearances. And he is gonna do the the "nebraska way". Darin, if your reading this, which i doubt, were lucky to have you.
    That gov't is best, which governs least -- Thomas Paine

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Power of Corn View Post
    on the field, erstad is bo pelini with spikes, he is exactly the guy we need leading the charge for our baseball team, intense, accountable, ethical. He will be successful here, maybe not natl title, but he will get us to the final 8 plenty of times before he is done. hopefully a few CWS appearances. And he is gonna do the the "nebraska way". Darin, if your reading this, which i doubt, were lucky to have you.
    I hope you're right, POC. I'm rooting for him...hard. There are a few of us that get a little more excited about the Huskers running onto the field for a regional than a football game.

Travel Squad

Those bonuses seem rather minimal, don't they? I mean it's only worth 40grand for him to win the national championship?

Message Board Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortSideOption View Post
    Those bonuses seem rather minimal, don't they? I mean it's only worth 40grand for him to win the national championship?
    I don't disagree with you at all, but I believe baseball is a negative revenue sport at Nebraska. As noted in earlier posts, Darin is financially fixed for life. His primary motivation is not $$. It appears that Darin and TO both felt it wasn't in the best interests of NU to spend lots of money on their head baseball coach.