Get HuskerMaxô on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: USA vs Mexico Game Thread (rosters out)

USA vs Mexico Game Thread (rosters out)

FYI....we have never won at Azteca...and have one draw....so I would think without a top-side we have no chance at all and it will be tough even with our A side....almost the entire Mexican side is domestic based....

Roster selection for this one is tricky. Although the match falls on a FIFA fixture date, European-based players are preparing for the start of league play.

The English Premier League, for instance, begins three days later. So would Klinsmann burden a club by requesting a starter for five days leading to the league opener? Presumably, Klinsmann will select at least one goalkeeper from England: Tim Howard (Evertonís first choice) or Brad Guzan (Aston Villaís second choice) to face El Tri.

Germany, on the other hand, wonít relaunch the Bundesliga season until Aug. 24. Michael Bradley and Roma donít open until the 26th.

The friendly is important, though, because a pair of 2014 World Cup qualifiers against Jamaica await: in Kingston on Sept. 7 and in Columbus four days later. There arenít many opportunities during the year to bring the forces together, so Klinsmann would want to assemble most of his regulars.
    Much more here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...html#pagebreak
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Oh and I agree with him on this:

Why is Klinsmann waiting so long to unveil the roster?

I don’t fully understand this reasoning — why not create some buzz a week ahead of the match? -- but that’s the way it’s going to be.

Hernandez, Guardado, Ochoa on 18-man Mexico roster for USMNT friendly

FYI....they are bringing in the big guns...which lets you know how serious they are taking this....

Here is Mexico's 18-man roster:
    Goalkeepers: Alfredo Talavera, Guillermo Ochoa
    Defenders: Francisco Javier Rodriguez, Hector Moreno, Severo Meza, Hugo Ayala, Jorge Torres, Enrique Perez
    Midfielders: Jesus Zaval, Manuel Viniegra, Edgar Gerardo Lugo, Adrian Aldrete, Pablo Barrera, Elias Hernandez, Andres Guardado
    Forwards: Angel Reyna, Aldo de Nigris, Javier Hernandez
    Story here:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_b...-friendly.html

Stoke City's coach said Geoff Cameron will play for the USA against Mexico...

Scout Team
    4-1 Mexico...Klinsmann finally gets a taste of Concacaf at it's worst(the locale, elevation, smog, fans) and it's best(Mexico has some decent talent)

Depending on who he chooses I couldn't argue against that scoreline....

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsee View Post
    4-1 Mexico...Klinsmann finally gets a taste of Concacaf at it's worst(the locale, elevation, smog, fans) and it's best(Mexico has some decent talent)

Oh my goodness....where are Bradley, Dempsey, Cherundolo, Lichaj, Altidore, Goodson and Captain America?

And how the heck he gets recalled is beyond me: Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis)

And what he see's in Edgar Castillo is beyond me too...

Yeah I know its a friendly....but its Mexico at Azteca....

GOALKEEPERS (3):Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (6):Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steven Beithasour (San Jose Earthquakes), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim)
    MIDFIELDERS (9):DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Jose Torres (Pachuca), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (4): Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy), Herculez Gomez (Santos), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Na...st-Mexico.aspx

Boy oh boy with the roster he just announced it could end up that bad....but I hope not....I'll be cheering for our boys none the less.....but yeah it coudl get real ugly...

Quote Originally Posted by Dotsee View Post

Ives Galarcep
    @SoccerByIves
    Klinsmann reveals that Tim Chandler has yet to commit himself to the USA. That’s going to go over really well with USMNT fans.

ves Galarcep@SoccerByIvesKlinsmann boils down his younger roster to veterans being in preseason or dealing with minor injuries & MLS/MEX guys are in mid-season form

Red Shirt

Eh, it's a friendly. I've got no problem sending some younger guys to play in Azteca. These guys will have to play in Mexico City at some point in the future, so you may as well get their feet wet by playing @ Mexico in a game that doesn't mean a whole lot.

The only real problem I have is Beasely. Put him out to pasture like Gooch. Glad to see SKC represented well, even without Bunbury and Sapong.

Eh its Mexico.....If we were Germany or England that excuse wouldn't cut it.....then again Klinsy would probably have already been fired with the results he has produced for $2.5M a year.....like I have said for the past month or so....where is the progress under Klinsman? And the writer in the other article says the same....

Beasley? Really? He has actually resurected his career in Mexcio.....I know I've watch him play....so he is the only problem to you?? Are you serious? Your okay with Orzaco and Castillio to name just a few?

Oh and if this were Bob Bradley he would be on the roaster yet this guy gets excuse and pass after pass....go figure...and has shown nothing in his first eyar to warrent that...absolutely nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    Eh, it's a friendly. I've got no problem sending some younger guys to play in Azteca. These guys will have to play in Mexico City at some point in the future, so you may as well get their feet wet by playing @ Mexico in a game that doesn't mean a whole lot.

The only real problem I have is Beasely. Put him out to pasture like Gooch. Glad to see SKC represented well, even without Bunbury and Sapong.

Red Shirt

I doubt he'd be fired from England. Fabio was a joke for the most part, and how long did he stay manager? Beasley may have gotten a new life with his club team, but he's done little for the national side in four years+ years. I've got a bigger problem taking older guys that have passed their prime, than younger guys who may not have hit their potential yet, and yes Beasley is past his prime. I guess Klinsmann gets a pass because he's had previous success at the International level as both a player and a coach.

Red Shirt

As far as progress, Klinsmann has coached a bunch of friendlies and a couple of early stage qualifiers. That's like demanding progress in baseball based on spring training and games played in April.

I don't doubt it all....Fabio was not a joke....and a great club coach and player....I'd take him anyday over Klinsman....heck Russia just hired him.....

And what have Castillio and Orzaco done??? Both have been nothing short of disasters for the USA....Orzaco was let go by Philly in MLS because he could not cut it...

I will take Beaz over those two anyday....

Sorry Klinsman doesn't get a pass when he is being paid $2.5M a year and has done northing to advance the national team....being a great player does not mean you are a great coach...Klinsy is just another example of that....

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexpress View Post
    I doubt he'd be fired from England. Fabio was a joke for the most part, and how long did he stay manager? Beasley may have gotten a new life with his club team, but he's done little for the national side in four years+ years. I've got a bigger problem taking older guys that have passed their prime, than younger guys who may not have hit their potential yet, and yes Beasley is past his prime. I guess Klinsmann gets a pass because he's had previous success at the International level as both a player and a coach.