Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tommy Armstrong Making A Good Impression Early: BTN folks love him

Tommy Armstrong Making A Good Impression Early: BTN folks love him

Honestly not the least bit surprised....and really glad to see it.....

–It’s still early and there’s a long depth chart climb ahead but true freshman quarterback Tommy Armstrong has made an impression early. “For a young guy, in his third practice, I’m very impressed with where he’s at,” Beck said.
    Much more here:

http://hailvarsity.com/2012/08/pract...ort-day-three/
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Husker Immortal
    hope this is where Joey can make a real difference

good deal.....And I agree, no real surprise.

Scout Team
    If Taylor were a senior I could see Tommy being the backup. However, if he does not redshirt this year that would leave two years for him
    to back up Taylor. Unless Tommy could beat him out which is not impossible but Taylor has huge edge in experience and knowing the system.
    Husker follower since 1962

Blackshirt
    Barring injury, can anyone see Carnes ever getting any significant playing time? I expect our starting QB to be Taylor this year and next and Armstrong after that.
    Train Insane or Stay the Same! @TheRedOne80

Quote Originally Posted by Red93 View Post
    Barring injury, can anyone see Carnes ever getting any significant playing time? I expect our starting QB to be Taylor this year and next and Armstrong after that.
    Carnes will play. He's just a sophomore. And he has a year in the system. Armstrong is looking good early because that doesn't mean Carnes isn't doing anything. Right now people want to know about the starter and the "replacement" (Armstrong). 3 practices is all they had. I want to see how the QB situation looks through the first 3 games. Carnes, Kellogg, Marsh......until they show they are not capable of doing enough to get game time then I won't count them out.

Martinez mentioned that the entire offense plus Beck sometimes was confused in year one of the system. I look forward to seeing what Armstrong can do, but I'm not ready to anoint him just yet because the coaches gave him a few compliments in his first practices.

Blackshirt
    I realize Carnes is just a Soph, but after Taylor starts the next two years he'll be a Sr and Armstrong will be a seasoned RS Soph or true Jr. -- I just wonder where Brion fits into the whole scheme of things.
    Train Insane or Stay the Same! @TheRedOne80

Too early to say the bus has passed Carnes by....but honestly I think this season will define where he ends up....tell-tale signs will be how much playing time he gets and where he ends up on the depth chart...we need to have a viable backup step up....someone who can be counted on if needed to start and that is what Brion has got to prove and show this year or the bus is going to leave the station and Mr Armstrong is going to be on it....with a starting job in his future....and Stanton will ahve some say in the picture too....the future right now is bright at quarterback with Armstrong and Stanton.....

I realize Carnes is just a Soph, but after Taylor starts the next two years he'll be a Sr and Armstrong will be a seasoned RS Soph or true Jr. -- I just wonder where Brion fits into the whole scheme of things.
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Armstrong and Stanton will have a distinct advantage over Martinez in that they will have the an offense they can work all the bugs out under practice conditions. I'm probably not going too far out on a limb in saying that the offense is still growing and being refined on paper. What works will be nurtured and what doesn't will either be tweaked or removed. The coaches will add their own twists to Beck's brain child and have a look of sophistication.

The battle that will ensue among the young quarterbacks of the future will be intense to say the very least. It will not be for the weak of heart and will be about the last man standing. Martinez will take the heat and the focus from them until the lights come on and it's their turn to shine and be polished. They should be a more refined prototype than Martinez ever was when they are unleashed.

Next year this offense will be even more refined and the quarterbacks following Taylor will have more to work with. It's been a long time since this program had a real quarterback controversy. It's coming. The so called experts need only to look down the road to understand where Nebraska currently is. This is raw and refinement is an ongoing journey. As for Bronson Marsh, it comes down to Bo understanding the talent he has in his own backyard. His overall assessment of the entire program is still that work in progress. Bronson lost time while he spent time with the defense. He always had game. He could have been a contender to coin a phrase.

All Big 10
    I want to see our backup QBs get reps in real games this season. I am not real concerned who, but play someone other than TM when the game is in hand.
    You never stand so tall as when you kneel to help a child.

Quote Originally Posted by 4evrHusker View Post
    I want to see our backup QBs get reps in real games this season. I am not real concerned who, but play someone other than TM when the game is in hand.
    The key is "when the game is in hand" It's been a while since the spread on the scoreboard was distinct. I think that changes this year on more occasions.

Scout Team
    Don't overlook experience. Some of our better QBs in recent times (Ganz, for example) were more of a game manager than a raw freak athlete. Armstrong looks good in practice, but he's probably unbridled right now and Beck is giving him more flexibility. I'd wager that Carnes has a better understanding of the nuances of the game - things like running out of bounds to stop the clock, getting a spike off, calling audibles, etc.

Junior Varsity
    the thing that will keep armstrong from seeing the field will be his ability to read defenses. once practises get really going and putting the game plan together for the offense, and by no means will the scout team defense be as good as the other teams defense, shall we see how good tommy is. redshirt the qb's to get them a year in the system is what i hope. but i also hope there is the next frazier out there also
    Support our troops......they are the ones that gave us the freedom that we know today.

Blackshirt
    Wow...talk about making a big deal out of a standard comment! Lol...the koolaid runs deep.

Carnes will also be seasoned just like Armstrong.....what do you think he'll be doing during that whole time.....Like I said it's too early to write him off. Not every QB comes in as a freshman and lights it up. Some don't get their opportunity or don't take advantage of it to later in their college career. It happens.