Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: woman to officiate in NFL....

Heisman

woman to officiate in NFL....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...ame-first-time

granted it's preseason, but it's a step in the right direction.

A woman will be part of an NFL officiating crew for the first time Thursday night, the league confirmed Monday.

Shannon Eastin, who has been a referee in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, will work Thursday night's preseason game between the Green Bay Packers and San Diego Chargers (ESPN, 8 p.m. ET). The news had been earlier reported by the Los Angeles Times.

All Legend
    as long as gingers don't get to do it than everything should be fine
    Just because I rock doesn't mean I am made of stone

Already happens in England in League soccer (EPL and the three lower divisions)...both as linesman and refs....I don't see an issue....
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Starter
    All for it!!

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

pray for me ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    All for it!!

I am pretty sure that they have had these officials working at local sportsbars for quite some time.
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.Bill Watterson, cartoonist, "Calvin and Hobbes"

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    How is it a "step in the right direction?" Have women been denied the opportunity to officiate football? Or are there just not a whole lot of women that have ever wanted to do it?

Intellectual Patriot
    I sincerely hope she will not take it upon herself to dictate how each QB handles every drive.
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Ayyy!
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    I sincerely hope she will not take it upon herself to dictate how each QB handles every drive.
    Or tell the running back to stop and ask for directions.

Junior Varsity
    MEAC to the NFL that's quite a jump she must look like the girl in the pic.
    Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once.

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Or tell the running back to stop and ask for directions.
    Respect
    Life Lesson: DO NOT LET THE MAN KEEP YOU DOWN! http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/show...er-King-Jr-Day
    "Yeah, saw that only Larry, Moe, and Curly had chimed-in before the thread was locked. C'est la vie when the cumulative IQ of those 3 shxxxeads is something less than 200, with Squatch nailing down 3rd place. Almost not worth the keystroke time expended reporting those twits, however..."

I love fan mail.

Head Lackey
    If she's gonna ref, who's gonna make me a sammich during the game?
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

***YesMan***
    Quote Originally Posted by Huskers57 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...ame-first-time

granted it's preseason, but it's a step in the right direction.
    I'm sure there can be some arguing that she can not do any worse than some that are already there...But, If she is only there because of her gender..then it is not a step in the right direction..I'd rather have the best officials on the field...I don't know her, but I'd like to see how much time she has put in to get to this position.... I hope she is well qualified and not just rushed through the system because of her gender...I also know from experience there are many more men out there who are more qualified and being denied their opportunity because of political correctness.

Scout Team

Will be very interested in how she handles this. NFL players like to talk, they like to yell, they like to slap the ref on the butt every now and again as they run by. Will she handle it like every other ref or will she throw a flag. Will be really interesting to see how the players handle it when she throws a flag in their direction.

***YesMan***
    Quote Originally Posted by ShuckIt View Post
    Will be very interested in how she handles this. NFL players like to talk, they like to yell, they like to slap the ref on the butt every now and again as they run by. Will she handle it like every other ref or will she throw a flag. Will be really interesting to see how the players handle it when she throws a flag in their direction.
    Her resume may help her in this category...

A resident of Tempe, Ariz., Eastin also has won six national judo championships. She was the youngest judo athlete ever to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center, doing so when she was 11.

Intellectual Patriot
    I hope she understands that it is she that is walking into the boy's club and not the other way around. I once had a boss admonish me for using a certain word when a woman chose to come work with a group of men. I said to him that if she told me she had a problem with it I may use it twice as much. Of course that was when I was younger and was a touch more brash. Point being, I hope she leaves any genteel sensetivities she may have in her locker.

I love fan mail.

Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by dkref11 View Post
    Her resume may help her in this category...

A resident of Tempe, Ariz., Eastin also has won six national judo championships. She was the youngest judo athlete ever to train at the U.S. Olympic Training Center, doing so when she was 11.
    I was glad to see this on her resume at least she has takin some brutal hits most likely. May be different kind of hit coming from a 250lb LB though, but at least there is athleticism and strength in her past experience. Jumping from the MEAC to the NFL is a monster jump in terms of speed of the game though.

Head Lackey
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatchsker View Post
    I hope she understands that it is she that is walking into the boy's club and not the other way around. I once had a boss admonish me for using a certain word when a woman chose to come work with a group of men. I said to him that if she told me she had a problem with it I may use it twice as much. Of course that was when I was younger and was a touch more brash. Point being, I hope she leaves any genteel sensetivities she may have in her locker.
    ...didn't think that was possible...

Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Scout Team

Politically incorrect response: QBs finally got their wish, someone who will kiss their booboos when they get knocked down by a big meany LB.

Blackshirt
    How'd she get out of the kitchen?
    I used to have superpowers.....but my therapist took them away...

Intellectual Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogahusker View Post
    How'd she get out of the kitchen?
    She must have found the keys.

I love fan mail.