Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.

Thread: Too Young To Be So Old

Hybrid View

Too Young To Be So Old

Too young to be so old I think is an Garth Brooks song as I remember, but it seems very relevant when looking at the Husker roster this year. Some fans can't understand why the wheels fell off the wagon last season, but playing big games and playing on the road is tough for a team with limited leadership and youth leading the way. The very reason Coach Osborne worried so much about losing to people that his team should not have lost to. Osborne did very well in that respect over the years. He also had teams filled to the brim with upper classmen. Filled with fifth year seniors and forth year juniors.

I've made mention of the Husker veterans this season but when one really looks at the roster this still remains a young team for the most part. Two classes of recruits that were mostly redshirted. Walkon recruits every where you look. Even some of the so called veterans are still a season or two away from being seniors. Last years leading receiver will be a sophomore this year. Two players that were written in as starters early last season on the offensive front are but sophomores this year in the cases of Tyler Moore and Jake Cotton. We will have a three year starter at quarterback this year and still another year ahead of him when this season ends. Just too young to be so old as the song goes.

Jamal Turner, Ameer Abdullah, Braylon Heard, Chase Rome, Jay Guy, Trevor Roach, Harvey Jackson, Mike Moudy participants last year and still just sophomores in 2012. Then the redshirt frosh such as Kevin Williams, Ryan Klachko, Ryne Reeves, Todd Peat Jr., Max Pirman, Daniel Davie and David Santos. In the not so distant past we have seen many an underclassmen get serious snaps with the big boys. The two station practices kept everyone interested and the competition will be intense to say the very least starting Friday.

Now thinking back to the many players that received snaps with the varsity last year we have another redshirted class ready to be unleashed along with some very interesting freshmen. Could a physically mature looking Greg McMullen or a Jordon Westerkamp work into the depth charts as true freshmen? Maybe a full grown Imani Cross or a Michael Rose? I like the fact we have serious players with time in this system. Leadership hasn't been in abundance the past couple of seasons, but this is still a young team with a bright looking future. Bo has taken some criticism from the mob for losing some games they figured he should have won. He played a few youngsters and several walkons last season letting some talented players mature in the wings. He also has redshirted two years of recruits including some walkons to establish some instant depth for this season and beyond. He's taken some heat, but he did it looking to fix some obvious problems for another day. The day is now.

To young to be so old. Lots of youth yet, it will not be too surprising to see some player have a break out season and excell beyond the fans expectations. There is still that portion of the fan base that will not be happy until that day comes. They were not kind to Devaney or Osborne until they were standing in the isles watching a Heisman contender light up the scoreboards. They were not content with nine win seasons. They were not even content with Coach Solich winning ten. They needed that difference maker to get past that hump and have contender stamped on the sides of their helmets. A sound defense and a couple of difference makers.

Maybe some young defensive tackle will arrive and look the part of a young Suh or Crick. Kevin Williams, Vince Valentine or McMullen. Maybe a still young Case Rome or a Jay Guy will break out with a year under their belts. It's still a very young team everywhere you look. Brion Carnes still just a sophomore and Tommy Armstrong ready to take his snaps. Friday there will be a few more upperclassmen than we have seen in a while. Yet this is still a very young team in many respects and a year or two away from those days of fifth year seniors and forth year juniors two and three deep on the charts. Look for a few surprises with so many quality youngsters ready to set sail. Don't be too surprised to find a few new stars real soon. This team and this coach is due for a star or two.

Just too young to be so old will eventually turn into a bunch of experienced talent very soon. It usually happen when you play so many youngsters early. It doesn't hurt when you let the talent stack up and establish depth and competition behind them. It really helps when you trust your walkon program. There is a reason Bo is confident this summer. I can just see Osborne patting him on the back and saying, see I told you it would work. Osborne went through it once and he survived with a little help from a mentor. Still young but getting older with every snap. GBR

Husker Immortal
    good stuff.

Really solid analysis. I can't explain why I feel this way, exactly, with the loss of David, Dennard and Crick leaving some big shoes to fill, but I feel much more optimistic about this season than I did at this time last year.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    To young to be so old I think is an Garth Brooks song as I remember, but it seems very relevant when looking at the Husker roster this year. Some fans can't understand why the wheels fell off the wagon last season, but playing big games and playing on the road is tough for a team with limited leadership and youth leading the way. The very reason Coach Osborne worried so much about losing to people that his team should not have lost to. Osborne did very well in that respect over the years. He also had teams filled to the brim with upper classmen. Filled with fifth year seniors and forth year juniors.

I've made mention of the Husker veterans this season but when one really looks at the roster this still remains a young team for the most part. Two classes of recruits that were mostly redshirted. Walkon recruits every where you look. Even some of the so called veterans are still a season or two away from being seniors. Last years leading receiver will be a sophomore this year. Two players that were written in as starters early last season on the offensive front are but sophomores this year in the cases of Tyler Moore and Jake Cotton. We will have a three year starter at quarterback this year and still another year ahead of him when this season ends. Just to young to be so old as the song goes.

Jamal Turner, Ameer Abdullah, Braylon Heard, Chase Rome, Jay Guy, Trevor Roach, Harvey Jackson, Mike Moudy participants last year and still just sophomores in 2012. Then the redshirt frosh such as Kevin Williams, Ryan Klachko, Ryne Reeves, Todd Peat Jr., Max Pirman, Daniel Davie and David Santos. In the not so distant past we have seen many an underclassmen get serious snaps with the big boys. The two station practices kept everyone interested and the competition will be intense to say the very least starting Friday.

Now thinking back to the many players that received snaps with the varsity last year we have another redshirted class ready to be unleashed along with some very interesting freshmen. Could a physically mature looking Greg McMullen or a Jordon Westerkamp work into the depth charts as true freshmen? Maybe a full grown Imani Cross or a Michael Rose? I like the fact we have serious players with time in this system. Leadership hasn't been in abundance the past couple of seasons, but this is still a young team with a bright looking future. Bo has taken some criticism from the mob for losing some games they figured he should have won. He played a few youngsters and several walkons last season letting some talented players mature in the wings. He also has redshirted two years of recruits including some walkons to establish some instant depth for this season and beyond. He's taken some heat, but he did it looking to fix some obvious problems for another day. The day is now.

To young to be so old. Lots of youth yet, it will not be too surprising to see some player have a break out season and excell beyond the fans expectations. There is still that portion of the fan base that will not be happy until that day comes. They were not kind to Devaney or Osborne until they were standing in the isles watching a Heisman contender light up the scoreboards. They were not content with nine win seasons. They were not even content with Coach Solich winning ten. They needed that difference maker to get past that hump and have contender stamped on the sides of their helmets. A sound defense and a couple of difference makers.

Maybe some young defensive tackle will arrive and look the part of a young Suh or Crick. Kevin Williams, Vince Valentine or McMullen. Maybe a still young Case Rome or a Jay Guy will break out with a year under their belts. It's still a very young team everywhere you look. Brion Carnes still just a sophomore and Tommy Armstrong ready to take his snaps. Friday there will be a few more upperclassmen than we have seen in a while. Yet this is still a very young team in many respects and a year or two away from those days of fifth year seniors and forth year juniors two and three deep on the charts. Look for a few surprises with so many quality youngsters ready to set sail. Don't be too surprised to find a few new stars real soon. This team and this coach is due for a star or two.

Just to young to be so old will eventually turn into a bunch of experienced talent very soon. It usually happen when you play so many youngsters early. It doesn't hurt when you let the talent stack up and establish depth and competition behind them. It really helps when you trust your walkon program. There is a reason Bo is confident this summer. I can just see Osborne patting him on the back and saying, see I told you it would work. Osborne went through it once and he survived with a little help from a mentor. Still young but getting older with every snap. GBR

Simply awesome

Great stuff as always Train....I've said a tiem or two we are a year or two a way from being a contender...we are building depth and expereince and as you said we are still very young....the future is very bright...

Oh glad you joined this board...
    Notre Dame only had one Rudy but Nebraska gets a new crop of Rudys every season

Heisman
    Part of Pelini's process, Train? I think so.
    Good friends, you take to the movies. Great teammates, you take to battle.
    Mr. Afro Thunder 80

Scout Team
    Very nice Train. I believe we are ready to break on through to the other side... oh yeah

Travel Squad
    Nice write up Train. Hopefully accurate for this year and beyond.
    "I have never seen people with more class than I saw at Nebraska. The Nebraska fans, players, cheerleaders, band, officials, coaches, etc., gave me living testimony of what college football should be all about." - Bobby Bowden

I agree. Keep the posts coming.

Starter
    Many truths in that post, Train. Keep 'em coming!

(hint to newspaper journalists - see what a little research can do for you?)
    "Even hayseeds like ourselves get to put our 2 cents in now. Truthfully most of us could not coach ourselves out of a paper basket."
    ---Russian Red

Recruit
    Surrounded by a corn field (no really I am)
    Bravo!! Bravo!! Bravo!!