Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tea Party Demands Romney Move [further] to Right

Travel Squad

Tea Party Demands Romney Move [further] to Right

"If we can elect a really conservative House and Senate that will force Romney to go along with our bold conservative agenda," Shell said. "He's going to have to really, really go to the right. He'll be working with guys in the House and Senate. He won't be able to get away with too many middle of the road policies, especially on things like the deficit."
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/...7#.UBqcME1lRuZ
    With a base like this, who needs opposition? One of the things I have always been comforted by is that Romney governed as a centrist in Massachusetts -- bridging the parties on several occasions. That does not seem possible if the Tea Party has its way.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Has the left wing of the democratic party not criticized Obama for not being liberal enough and for being too eager to compromise with the Republican party, even at the expense of core principles?

Quote Originally Posted by Husker Mort View Post
    I wouldn't know, since I was not a member of the Cafe in 2008.

Your claim that democrats/liberals are not self critical is fairly amusing though, as it goes against the national reputation of the party to be self critical, to a fault. Just a few criticisms I have shared of Obama on the boards:
    1. He is too even and forgiving -- never too happy or mad (probably in an attempt to avoid the "angry black man" label), despite justifiable occasion. His administration, largely, provided Wall Street with a golden parachute and left untried allegedly illegal and criminal acts by some members of the former administration.
    2. He is a TERRIBLE negotiator, routinely starting with a compromise and then wondering why that wasn't good enough.
    3. He routinely avoids the issues he could bridge Americans with -- race relations and urban issues, specifically, on which he has shown an ability to speak with great eloquence.
    4. His appointments failed to push the envelope and implement the change that was central to his campaign. Biden, Gates, Panetta, Bernanke, Geitner, the list goes on -- all were safe, establishment choices that didn't shift the conversation.
    5. His legislative approach seems to assume that the Rep's will magically want to cooperate.
    6. He has failed to communicate the intent of his administration to the American people and is too slow to respond to major accusations. Above all, he is an effective communicator, but he has lost their confidence by being silent and allowing the GOP to drive the narrative; the birther and transcript nonsense should have been put to bed almost immediately.
    7. The administration has failed to highlight the bipartisan efforts that have been made and concessions that were in proposed legislation.
    8. He has continued the irresponsible spending of the Bush administration, including extension of the Bush tax cuts during a terrible recession whilst the country was hemorrhaging money.
    9. He has, at times, embraced misleading and deceitful campaign tactics similar to those of the Rove days.
    10. He has failed to bring public opinion down on a congress that refuses to participate in the governance of the nation.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Starter
    With a base like this, who needs opposition? One of the things I have always been comforted by is that Romney governed as a centrist in Massachusetts -- bridging the parties on several occasions. That does not seem possible if the Tea Party has its way.
    We know you, and many other Dems here love to liken the Tea Party to the second coming of Satan (or Christ for those non-christians), but please explain what parts of the Tea Parties conservative agenda you are so scared of.

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard
    ; its harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Greatest Fan of All View Post
    I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by CornfieldCounty View Post
    We know you, and many other Dems here love to liken the Tea Party to the second coming of Satan (or Christ for those non-christians), but please explain what parts of the Tea Parties conservative agenda you are so scared of.
    This is tough to answer since there is no consensus Tea Party platform. But if we go with generally-accepted tenets:
    1. The part that suggests the Government should be run like a business or household.
    2. The part that just recently grew concerned about the debt or doesn't understand the necessary role borrowing plays in our economy.
    3. The part that fails to see how our foreign and tax policy over the last thirty years has contributed to the debt.
    4. The part that regards foreign-owned debt as a problem so intense and so immediate that we need to slash and burn everything that the government does in order to pay it off immediately.
    5. The part that fails to recognize medicaid as an entitlement.
    6. The part that advocates against the constitutionality of income tax.
    7. The part that believes a tiny Government can do all the things they still want it to do.

...those and the fact that their agenda is not "conservative" at all. Conservatism implies fiscal prudence and opposition to radical change and their agenda is something entirely different.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.” Marcus Aurelius

Travel Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by ChitownHusker View Post
    Has the left wing of the democratic party not criticized Obama for not being liberal enough and for being too eager to compromise with the Republican party, even at the expense of core principles?
    I think the difference is that the left has not threatened to load up Congress with so many radical liberals that the President will be FORCED to act in accordance with their desires.

But way to bring in a reference from a different thread. I will simply say for anyone confused by its inclusion that the conversation was about being self critical and I'll stand by those criticisms of the candidate I voted for. (And I am not on the left flank of the Democratic party as you suggest.)

Travel Squad
    duplicate post

Starter
    This is tough to answer since there is no consensus Tea Party platform. But if we go with generally-accepted tenets:
    1. The part that suggests the Government should be run like a business or household.
    2. The part that just recently grew concerned about the debt or doesn't understand the necessary role borrowing plays in our economy.
    3. The part that fails to see how our foreign and tax policy over the last thirty years has contributed to the debt.
    4. The part that regards foreign-owned debt as a problem so intense and so immediate that we need to slash and burn everything that the government does in order to pay it off immediately.
    5. The part that fails to recognize medicaid as an entitlement.
    6. The part that advocates against the constitutionality of income tax.
    7. The part that believes a tiny Government can do all the things they still want it to do.
    And again, where are you getting this as being "accepted tenets"?

These are only my opinion, but here goes:

1. No part suggest the Government should be run like a business or household. Those terms are used so the average person can understand the metrics.
    2. No part just recently grew concerned about debt or borrowing. These are items that have been growing for years and many have railed around, its just now getting to a point of destruction so the voices have grown louder.
    3. No part has failed to see how that has contributed
    4. Unsubstantiated hyperbole.. I thought you wanted have constructive dialog.
    5. No part has ever slightly suggested Medicaid is not an entitlement.
    6. Unsubstantiated hyperbole.. I thought you wanted have constructive dialog.
    7. No part believe a tiny Government can to all the things.. but what we have now is, IMHO, about 100 times bigger than what is necessary. As the current administration has attempted and failed, we cannot "Government hire" our way out of a recession.

Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple. - Barry Switzer

Life is hard

I'd be fine with a MAC coach...even Frank (a lesser mistake than Bo). Over Bo? ABSOLUTELY

I think the difference is that the left has not threatened to load up Congress with so many radical liberals that the President will be FORCED to act in accordance with their desires.

But way to bring in a reference from a different thread. I will simply say for anyone confused by its inclusion that the conversation was about being self critical and I'll stand by those criticisms of the candidate I voted for. (And I am not on the left flank of the Democratic party as you suggest.)
    I just don't see a big difference between the fringes of both parties. Both fringes get frustrated when their guy tries to move to the center, and both try and exercise leverage to get their guy to govern closer to them.
    "The distinctive mark of the Christian, today more than ever, must be love for the poor, the weak, the suffering." Pope John Paul II

Scout Team
    I just don't see a big difference between the fringes of both parties. Both fringes get frustrated when their guy tries to move to the center, and both try and exercise leverage to get their guy to govern closer to them.
    We saw this with Joe Lieberman in '06.

Travel Squad
    And again, where are you getting this as being "accepted tenets"?

These are only my opinion, but here goes:

1. No part suggest the Government should be run like a business or household. Those terms are used so the average person can understand the metrics.
    2. No part just recently grew concerned about debt or borrowing. These are items that have been growing for years and many have railed around, its just now getting to a point of destruction so the voices have grown louder.
    3. No part has failed to see how that has contributed
    4. Unsubstantiated hyperbole.. I thought you wanted have constructive dialog.
    5. No part has ever slightly suggested Medicaid is not an entitlement.
    6. Unsubstantiated hyperbole.. I thought you wanted have constructive dialog.
    7. No part believe a tiny Government can to all the things.. but what we have now is, IMHO, about 100 times bigger than what is necessary. As the current administration has attempted and failed, we cannot "Government hire" our way out of a recession.
    CC, I have asked you repeatedly for a link or summary of what the Tea Party platform is and I am still waiting. We cannot have this conversation if you cannot define the tenets of the Tea Party. I can provide hours of video footage that supports my understanding of the Tea Party. From what source do you derive YOUR understanding of their platform?

Heisman

CC, I have asked you repeatedly for a link or summary of what the Tea Party platform is and I am still waiting. We cannot have this conversation if you cannot define the tenets of the Tea Party. I can provide hours of video footage that supports my understanding of the Tea Party. From what source do you derive YOUR understanding of their platform?
    There IS no Tea Party platform as such, although there are many internet sites claiming to lay out a "tea party platform." The very basis of the "Tea Party" is that there is no centralized, top-down structure. The benefits are touted primarily as assuring that it remains a complete "grass roots" movement. From what I can tell, that basic tenet is stated pretty emphatically by pretty much all of the groups who claim Tea Party affiliation. The other basic tenet which seems to be adhered to, is that its not a political party and has no intentions of becoming one - which is actually related back to the "no centralized, top-down structure."

As such, its impossible to "define a Tea Party platform." The grass roots part of this is good, but the bad is that there are all sorts of crackpots out there who choose to self-align with "the Tea Party" and therefore I'm sure you CAN find hours of video online with totally crackpot ideas. The other bad news is that of course, one cannot debate here in any detail "the Tea Party platform" because there really isn't one.

Here's about as good a basic list as I could find with a quick search. Disclaimer - I don't claim to be a "Tea Partier" and have never been to any meetings, and voted Tuesday in the runoff election for Texas US Senate for the moderate Republican who, unfortunately, lost to the strident Tea Partier.

http://contractfromamerica.com/

Starter
    Actually, you never have, because there are none and I would have never quoted any. You, and others, have a strange desire to use the "Tea Party" name in an attempt to inject a demagoguery angle to Republicans that somehow is more politically offensive than the word Conservative.

Please, link your videos and websites that state exactly your 1 though 7.

Life is hard

Travel Squad
    Actually, you never have, because there are none and I would have never quoted any. You, and others, have a strange desire to use the "Tea Party" name in an attempt to inject a demagoguery angle to Republicans that somehow is more politically offensive than the word Conservative.

Please, link your videos and websites that state exactly your 1 though 7.
    I have already shown why this conversation will be completely non constructive, because for every clip I show you'll claim "that isn't the Tea Party". And then every time you make a claim I'll ask where it is published and you won't be able to provide a consensus source. So, let's just concede that there is no consensus agenda and move on.

If you want to speak about specific policies as individuals I am happy to do so.

Junior Varsity

Mort isn't a leader of any big and powerful liberal party like the dude he quoted is. You also don't see anyone like Grover N on the lib side holding congressman hostage. Although if I think it should happen on the Dem side as long as Grover keeps his gong.

Junior Varsity

I have already shown why this conversation will be completely non constructive, because for every clip I show you'll claim "that isn't the Tea Party". And then every time you make a claim I'll ask where it is published and you won't be able to provide a consensus source. So, let's just concede that there is no consensus agenda and move on.

If you want to speak about specific policies as individuals I am happy to do so.
    and they will just show very vague ideas that you really can't have a problem with or at least aren't very controversial. Sort of like how virtually every group has.