Get HuskerMax™ on your iPhone. Click here for details. Get tickets for all home and away games here.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 96 of 96

Thread: Sadly, my expectations of Husker dominance must be lowered...

  1. #81
    Junior Varsity
    Skunkman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Albion, Nebraska
    Posts
    5,779
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    You are most welcome.

    LOL!
    The Skunk Has Spoken!

    I swear skunk was squeezin my buttocks !
    Skunkman's nose nailed this one.
    Never squat with yer spurs on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CombatTargeteer
    "You gotta watch the Skunkman."
    I don't want to ruin Skunk's rep, but I have to report that he is a very hospitable and generous guy, besides being a super Husker fan.

  2. #82
    Red Shirt
    Inflation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Larryville, Kansas
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Here's what I think: With Bo the program is very black & white, no gray. He's a straight shooter and he demands effort and excellence. Training is the same as football prep, and accountability and being a man is very much emphasized. Those things being said, do you for one second suppose that they would then turn around and not be completely honest with the kids about how to properly train? If so, there is a disconnect. And that would be a weak link in the program. I don't see it being that way, though, which is why I give the whole 'overtraining' quote much credence and viability.
    Don't you need to know the training schedule designed for the player to determine if over training is an issue?
    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

  3. #83
    Heisman
    USMC_BugEater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    31,070
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    So, haven't read the thread and this may have been addressed, here's the thing.

    If one accepts that there is such a thing as "over training" (and I don't know at this point... S&C theories change quicker than get rich fast schemes), what Dobson tells the players is one thing. What he has them actually do is quite another.

    What I mean is that you can tell your players "there's no such thing as over training" to prevent them from laying back on their workouts. If you tell a kid, oh, training too hard may hurt your performance, they are going to subconsciously bag it a bit.

    But, that may have nothing to do with the number of reps and types of work you actually ask them to complete during their workout.

    In other words, you tell a kid "we are going to work like crazy and not worry about "overtraining,"" and then you privately worry about overtraining by monitoring the intensity and frequency of the workouts.

    This thread illustrates the kind of overcritical analysis that must drive the coaches crazy.
    I think you've got it right, cm.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.

  4. #84
    Red Shirt

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflation View Post
    Don't you need to know the training schedule designed for the player to determine if over training is an issue?
    That would probably be a good start but it's much more fun to jump to conclusions After all jumping can be an important part to any training program.

  5. #85
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Land O' Fruits N' Nuts
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint23r View Post
    That would probably be a good start but it's much more fun to jump to conclusions After all jumping can be an important part to any training program.
    Do they even publish or release the testing results anymore? The proof is in the pudding..if the training is working then the kids will get stronger and faster and jump higher; if not, they won't. And they won't get pushed around in the O and D-Line trenches, either.

  6. #86
    All Legend

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    16,042
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Here's what I think: With Bo the program is very black & white, no gray. He's a straight shooter and he demands effort and excellence. Training is the same as football prep, and accountability and being a man is very much emphasized. Those things being said, do you for one second suppose that they would then turn around and not be completely honest with the kids about how to properly train? If so, there is a disconnect. And that would be a weak link in the program. I don't see it being that way, though, which is why I give the whole 'overtraining' quote much credence and viability.
    I guess I don't see this as "lying" or not being "completely honest."

    I think of it more in the sense that it's a motivational technique... another way of saying "don't save anything in the tank."
    "We need education in the obvious more than investigation of the obscure."

    "If you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

    “A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.”

  7. #87
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Land O' Fruits N' Nuts
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by cm husker View Post
    I guess I don't see this as "lying" or not being "completely honest."

    I think of it more in the sense that it's a motivational technique... another way of saying "don't save anything in the tank."
    You may be correct, cm, but physiologically speaking, overtraining happens far too frequently to be taken lightly. Especially with the upper tier athletes like the ones we have at the U of N

  8. #88
    Ayyy!
    huskrthill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Posts
    37,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Inflation View Post
    Don't you need to know the training schedule designed for the player to determine if over training is an issue?
    Nope, you just need a one-line quote.

  9. #89
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Land O' Fruits N' Nuts
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Nope, you just need a one-line quote.
    That one line quote is an issue if it's the prevailing mindset. Think about it.

  10. #90
    Ayyy!
    huskrthill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Approximately 41° 12' 19" N, 96° 9' 29" W
    Posts
    37,317
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    You may be correct, cm, but physiologically speaking, overtraining happens far too frequently to be taken lightly. Especially with the upper tier athletes like the ones we have at the U of N
    So let me get this straight. You were trying to limit the workouts of some of the players in the 1990s so that they wouldn't overtrain. You'd kick them out of the weight room so they wouldn't overtrain. Then they went to a local gym to continue training... so were they overtraining at that point? They did more than you wanted them to do.

    And the record was still pretty good, even with the overtraining.

  11. #91
    Guest
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Land O' Fruits N' Nuts
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    So let me get this straight. You were trying to limit the workouts of some of the players in the 1990s so that they wouldn't overtrain. You'd kick them out of the weight room so they wouldn't overtrain. Then they went to a local gym to continue training... so were they overtraining at that point? They did more than you wanted them to do.

    And the record was still pretty good, even with the overtraining.
    Exactly. And you may have missed it, but I mentioned that some of them later told me that they wish they wouldn't have done it... that they did, indeed, overtrain and that they wished they would have listened. Your point is that we still won, right? Think about how a winning '96 National Championship would have felt, then, and you get the point that the little things might add up to some bigger things.

  12. #92
    Varsity

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    cibolo via valentine, ne
    Posts
    10,380
    that advantage ended 25 years ago. LOL where have you been??

  13. #93
    Tried to respond to your PM Yellow but not sure if yuo recieved it. Maybe we don't have a mutual friend.

  14. #94
    Scout Team
    husker6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    3,310
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDent#2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by huskrthill View Post
    Nope, you just need a one-line quote.
    That one line quote is an issue if it's the prevailing mindset. Think about it.
    "If" can be a mighty big word.
    Mayans: Sorry about 2012! Better luck next time!

  15. #95
    Guest

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    4,443
    Well, after reading this entire thread, I have come to the conclusion that I have lost 5 minutes of my life, never to be seen again.

  16. #96
    Starter

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Multiple (Omaha, Las Vegas)
    Posts
    12,297
    I am sure that if over-training was considered a problem, then the new "EliteForm" S&C software would be programmed to ensure that they don't do it.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •